RNP "Short Gate"

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dave T
Rank 3
Rank 3

RNP "Short Gate"

Post by Dave T »

I think this has been discussed before but just wondering if there could possibly be a better way for it to be handled on the radio. Could there just be some kind of an understanding with ATC that you guys always want to do it if able? I think every other pilot is getting tired of being slowed down, given a crossing time, given a hold, and then getting onto a very busy arrival controller only to hear Westjet saying "they're all set up and looking for the RNP short gate". Of course they're told unable you're number 10 for the approach. I am all for saving time and money and in good weather I'd like to ask for direct the beacon for the visual everywhere I go but I don't when it's busy because I know it is not going to happen.

Not trying to start a fight, just something that has been clogging up the radios a lot lately.
---------- ADS -----------

Clint23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: RNP "Short Gate"

Post by Clint23 »

We got a memo from our Ops that came from Nav Can asking that we plan to do the short gate RNPs whenever possible.....so then we start doing it and we get a lot of "sorry, unable" Just doin' what we are told!.

Cheers

tapaflyguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tapaflyguy »

For all of you "non RNP users", you are behind the times. This is the way of future navigation. Go to the USA, the new LNAV/VNAV WAAS approaches now outnumber CAT 1 ILS's. If it wasn't for RNP Alaska Airlines would not be servicing certain destinations in Alaska. In time everyone will be doing the RNP Departures and Approaches worldwide. It is safe, reliable, and ATC can forget about us as they know where we are, and where we are going. I believe someone has posted a video of the RNP on Youtube, check it out and learn about it, instead of whining about it! It always seems in life when people whine and complain they are jealous of others accomplishments.

Dave T
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dave T »

The first reply answered my question.
tapaflyguy wrote:check it out and learn about it, instead of whining about it! It always seems in life when people whine and complain they are jealous of others accomplishments.
I wasn't whining at all. I think that RNP is the future and wish that my plane had that kind of equipment. It saves time, fuel, and can increase safety. But it does not matter if ATC knows exactly what you will be doing if they have 10 airplanes to vector from different directions to final. Having you set up to fly a short final doesn't really help in that situation.

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Rotten Apple #1 »

Dave T, I get what you're saying and i'm sure we'll resolve the communication protocols. In time. We have one guy dedicated to doing nothing more than addressing RNP matters. To help speed the process along, perhaps you could utilize whatever means available to you to make your opinions formally known (AQD? TC?).

The Short Gate program is a wonderful asset to WJ, but not without pitfalls, like any new venture.

JD

Tiny Voices
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tiny Voices »

When we set up for the short transition, the full arrival and approach procedure are still in the box. When approved by ATC, we select and execute, then fly the approach via the appropriate transition. Don't get approved for the transition, don't touch a thing. Just continue on past on the published STAR. More likely than not, if there are 10 other aircraft approaching the airport, that is what will happen. I have yet to hear of anyone getting slowed down, held, delaying vectored, whatever, so that we can fly the short gate. Quite the opposite actually. It is us who shall conform...and quite rightly so.

I will make a personal effort to cut down on the verbal diarrhea and just state the desired approach via the transition. Eg. WestJet 700 request the RNP 34 via Selev.

Last edited by Tiny Voices on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

I for one applaud WestJet's shortgate procedures for one specific reason.

The creation of the Waypoing: MIVAG

ziggy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ziggy »

The nice thing about the RNP's is that they are are very predictable with timing for ATC. Set speeds at set waypoints make it a lot easier for them when it comes to proper spacing between aircraft.

Lpsi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lpsi »

Why Not just say " Can we just go ahead of everyone?"
Or
Looking for Present Position Direct "Max profit share"

Really guys, when the en route controller hands you to arrivals listen out on the new freq. for say 15-20 seconds and then decide is it really that brilliant an idea to ask for a controller to bless you with a special request. I know you are all a great bunch of guys because I know a lot of you and when your in my place you have manners. Don't forget them when you go about your business. I personally couldn't give two hoots if you go in front of me, I am only bothered by the neediness in the repeated requesting. In the interest of airman ship please lighten up the load on the controllers. You are not making the day go by any quicker.

balfour
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by balfour »

OMFG :roll:

ziggy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ziggy »

Uhhhh, as per an earlier response, ATC requests that we plan for these short transitions, hence asking for them.

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

"clogging up the Radios?"
:roll:

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

Clogging, like the enroute reports by certain companies north and southbound in Manitoba? :lol: riiight.

Drinking outside the box.
marquisman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by marquisman »

We were asked by Gander last night if we wanted the short gate on 29 in YYT. Didn't even ask.They expect it now.

WS739
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WS739 »

The fact is WestJet built, tested and paid for the technology to save money and make routes more efficient. They were pioneers in the technology in Canada and airlines are signing up for it every week. So let them be! Fly your RNAV STAR and be happy!

Herc_Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Herc_Driver »

Lpsi wrote: Really guys, when the en route controller hands you to arrivals listen out on the new freq. for say 15-20 seconds and then decide is it really that brilliant an idea to ask for a controller to bless you with a special request.
Yup, one can sure get a FULL picture of the traffic situation by waiting and listening for a full 15-20 seconds on a new frequency ... :roll:
Lpsi wrote: ............ looking for the RNP short gate ..........
Yeah, that is so totally irritating .... completely unlike the guys who come onto the radio and ask direct the beacon, direct the FAF and so on. That's totally different.

Hhhmmm, is this thing on?
balfour
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by balfour »

Herc_Driver wrote:
Lpsi wrote: Really guys, when the en route controller hands you to arrivals listen out on the new freq. for say 15-20 seconds and then decide is it really that brilliant an idea to ask for a controller to bless you with a special request.
Yup, one can sure get a FULL picture of the traffic situation by waiting and listening for a full 15-20 seconds on a new frequency ... :roll:
Lpsi wrote: ............ looking for the RNP short gate ..........
Yeah, that is so totally irritating .... completely unlike the guys who come onto the radio and ask direct the beacon, direct the FAF and so on. That's totally different.

I asked for it twice today in YYC just to piss you off. I hope you heard me.

Herc_Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Herc_Driver »

balfour wrote: I asked for it twice today in YYC just to piss you off. I hope you heard me.

I guess the "roll eyes"/sarcasm emoticon ... :roll: ..... didn't quite get through to you did it.

Don't worry, as soon as I get onto the arrival freq I ask for direct the beacon all the time for the same reason ............. just to piss Lpsi off.

Hhhmmm, is this thing on?
balfour
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by balfour »

Comment was ment for Dave T. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just love asking now. I even asked arrival knowing they would only pass on the "request", love it. :mrgreen:

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Professional, through and through.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.

Return to “WestJet”