Does the coolaid really taste as sweet as it sounds?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Does the coolaid really taste as sweet as it sounds?

Post by mattedfred »

skyhigh wrote:To be more specific, a year 3 FO at WJ will make more than a Year 7 Captain at Jazz. All this on base pay. NO Profit share, NO Stock Options and NO Employee Share Purchase Plan calculated in those numbers. If you only add the sure money in the Employee Share Purchase plan then a year 3 FO would be making the same as a Year 14 Captain at Jazz and once again NO Profit Share and NO Stock Options calculated in those numbers.

a 7th year ACJ captain makes $84.96 per hour and that is from park brake released to park brake set. how much would the 3rd year WJ FO make for this hour?

i'm just trying to compare apples to apples because without comparing both agreements directly it is hard to get a true picture
---------- ADS -----------

McDoo the Irish Navigator
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by McDoo the Irish Navigator »

$82.12. This does not include ESP, profit share of stock options.

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean no-one's out to get you.
mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

thanks for the clarification. neither does the ACJ rate by the way. so a 3rd year WJ 737 FO makes the same as a 6th year ACJ CA on any type. comparing net annual total compensation is a way different ball game i presume.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

mattedfred wrote:thanks for the clarification. neither does the ACJ rate by the way. so a 3rd year WJ 737 FO makes the same as a 6th year ACJ CA on any type. comparing net annual total compensation is a way different ball game i presume.

The WJ guys don't get paid from park brake release, to park break set. I believe they use different criteria, so on IROPS days when you're waiting for 45 min to get into the bay, then a 30min wait for t/o it would add up. This may become even more serious with the new low vis stuff coming up. 1 in 1 out BS will gridlock airports.

Rem
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rem »

I'm not sure what the exact criteria is, whether it's 5 kts or 72% N2 (which is what it takes to get moving) but basically when you're moving under your own power you're getting paid. The difference amounts to less than 5 minutes. Endless I think what you're referring to used to be true but has since been fixed.

As for the original question, here's my take: there are some commuting issues that could be better, but yes, the Koolaid tastes goooood... I loved my time at Jazz, but there's no comparison. Seriously.

lowlevel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowlevel »

For all the newbies at Westjet, just curious what your take home pay is per month?
Also on average what would take home be on year three the 25% option?

The Fish
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by The Fish »

here goes, like it or not it's an awesome place to work.

These numbers are give or take $50

If you DO the 20% ESP
year 1........800.00 per pay

Year 3........1175.00 per pay

If you DON"T do the 20% ESP
year 1........1120.00 per pay

Year 3........1950.00 per pay

Salaries are 40, 50 and 79 respectively.

Please don't ask me to explain the profit sharing ESP and option amounts as after 3 years I'm still trying to figure it all out.

Cheers

The Fish

Jastapilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Jastapilot »

Fish, how much per pay are you socking away with the ESP plus the company's contribution?

commuter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by commuter »

With a new agreement on the way there should be a raise but we will know soon I guess.
Oh and the time triggers are being changed to reflect brake release from what I understand. Not sure when it will be changing though.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

Rem: cool thanks.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

A 3rd year FO doing 25% options and 20% ESP will just break 100K on the T4. The options are hit and miss, but the ESP is pretty sweet. You end up banking about 36K a year on year 3 pay doing 20% ESP.
These numbers could all be changing very soon.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
The Fish
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by The Fish »

Jastapilot wrote:Fish, how much per pay are you socking away with the ESP plus the company's contribution?
About 1250 per pay, give or take a few bucks, and it's all after tax dollars.

KAG not too sure how you came up with just over 100k for a year 3 T4, are you counting profit sharing?

Cause my math tells me it should be closer to 95k.

Cheers

skyhigh
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skyhigh »

Yes currently its roughly $95K per year for 3rd yr FOs. The new contract (if accepted by the pilot group) will easily bump it above 100K and then some...

Biggles
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Biggles »

Thank you very much for your informative responses. I do appreciate all of them. I think any doubt has been cleared from my mind.
I hope this all works out; WJ really is where I pictured myself when I started my training many moons ago.

Cheers.

It is better to be sitting on the ground wishing you were in the air than being in the air wishing you were on the ground
balfour
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by balfour »

skyhigh wrote:Yes currently its roughly $95K per year for 3rd yr FOs. The new contract (if accepted by the pilot group) will easily bump it above 100K and then some...

Just had a read of the overview of the new contract. Howz about a 2% pay cut, yes that's right. You can also kiss upgrades goodbye with the new blocking system. That's not all. I'd be carefull about gloating before we all get kicked in the nuts for the next 5 years. Oh yeah and years of service pay which is industry standard...........nope. Maybe next time eh? Still the best gig in Canada though.

double-j
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by double-j »

balfour wrote:
skyhigh wrote:Yes currently its roughly $95K per year for 3rd yr FOs. The new contract (if accepted by the pilot group) will easily bump it above 100K and then some...

Just had a read of the overview of the new contract. Howz about a 2% pay cut, yes that's right. You can also kiss upgrades goodbye with the new blocking system. That's not all. I'd be carefull about gloating before we all get kicked in the nuts for the next 5 years. Oh yeah and years of service pay which is industry standard...........nope. Maybe next time eh? Still the best gig in Canada though.
Where did you see this new agreement? I saw nothing about it on the WJPA website?

Ryan Coke2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ryan Coke2 »

Why am I skeptical. I remember when the last agreement came out, and quite a few people didn't understand it and were panicking.

Well, since you saw it, when is it coming out for the rest of us?

WetJet
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WetJet »

Pay CUT?

:shock:

Jrex
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jrex »

Balfour, rather than trashing the company/agreement with hearsay on an public forum, let's wait until all the information is officially released.

shankdown
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by shankdown »

From what I've heard about the agreement, blocking will go down to a 75/80 situation, rather than a 80/85 that we currently have (that is the cole's notes version of the rumour I've heard). Why would that mean an end to upgrades? It seems to me that with smaller blocks, upgrades would increase. Why would it be the opposite?

Return to “WestJet”