WestJet Agreement 2.0

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: WestJet Agreement 2.0

Post by Rockie »

Canada 3000 had a status pay system. That means you got paid for the seat you occupied regardless of which airplane it was in, plus an incentive for years of service. I can't recall how many years of service it took to get to the top, but it wasn't more than 12. If the airline had survived as it should have for 24 years, you could theoretically be halfway up the list getting paid just as much flying a 320 as the guy sitting at #1 flying a 330. You could also have a better schedule than someone much senior to you while getting the same pay.

Any place you go to work at is going to have some sort of incentive or reward system in place for years of service and seat advancement. It's not very realistic of you to expect to get those incentives right away.
---------- ADS -----------

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

There is no way C3 could have survived for 24 years under the management it had at the time of failure.

C3 was a time bomb.

Too bad - they seemed to have a good product and a good culture. By most accounts it was a professional flight department. C3 was a well loved airline and they had tons of babes tossing cookies.

The guys at the top though - shall we say - not the smartest.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

jjj wrote:The guys at the top though - shall we say - not the smartest.
Lol...I would hazard a guess that 90% of aviation companies would be described that way by the pilots.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

jjj wrote:There is no way C3 could have survived for 24 years under the management it had at the time of failure.
There was no way the airline could survive past, say...November 9th, 2001 with the management that it had. Which happened to be around the 13 year mark. I only used 24 as a hypothetical number to illustrate the pay system the pilots had. The management that it had up to and including the CEO level was certainly up to the job, but it was the Chairman and the BoD that the airline couldn't survive.

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

Man, the agreement sounds pretty sweet. I hope I'm lucky enough to work for Westjet one day.

crazy woman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crazy woman »

Me too. At least I'm getting '705' time. You guys should consider yourselves fortunate that you work for the best airline in Canada and a with a really good agreement as well.

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

As soon as it's ratified, I'll agree with you!

Drinking outside the box.
The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

rudder wrote: Sun May 24, 2009 8:55 am
jonny dangerous wrote:Now if we did unionize and consequently ended up with seniority driven schedule bidding (a given), how long would it be before Frog Legs could hold weekends off? Christmas?

What about the inevitable reserve coverage system? How high up the list would an F/O have to be before he/she could avoid reserve days. Very sucky for the YHZ commuters.

And then how long before the FAs follow suit and join CUPE and mtce joins IAMAW?

The drama would be awesome though. Think of all the fun things we could talk about in the cockpit, you know, how management is screwing us all the time.

And grievances. Man those are great.

Where do I sign?
What a load of C.R.A.P.

You could certify the WJPA with status quo (Agreement 2.0) as your collective agreement, including the present system for pilot scheduling and vacation bidding.

A campaign of misinformation is not a valid strategy to avoid a real debate on the merits of certification, but is the most common tactic used.
Well, this jonny dangerous character was a little off the mark, but not completely so, nine years ago. He seems wicked smart. Wherever did he end up?

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

But the rest of that guy's posts in this thread show a complete lack of understanding of labour law and legislation. I hope he did some studying in the intervening years.

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

China_CAAC_Exam wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:14 am
rudder wrote: Sun May 24, 2009 8:55 am
jonny dangerous wrote:Now if we did unionize and consequently ended up with seniority driven schedule bidding (a given), how long would it be before Frog Legs could hold weekends off? Christmas?

What about the inevitable reserve coverage system? How high up the list would an F/O have to be before he/she could avoid reserve days. Very sucky for the YHZ commuters.

And then how long before the FAs follow suit and join CUPE and mtce joins IAMAW?

The drama would be awesome though. Think of all the fun things we could talk about in the cockpit, you know, how management is screwing us all the time.

And grievances. Man those are great.

Where do I sign?
What a load of C.R.A.P.

You could certify the WJPA with status quo (Agreement 2.0) as your collective agreement, including the present system for pilot scheduling and vacation bidding.

A campaign of misinformation is not a valid strategy to avoid a real debate on the merits of certification, but is the most common tactic used.
Well, this jonny dangerous character was a little off the mark, but not completely so, nine years ago. He seems wicked smart. Wherever did he end up?
I actually thought he was yet another of your multiple personas that you keep holding conversations with.

Return to “WestJet”