Hiring requirements.

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

xTally
Rank 1
Rank 1

Hiring requirements.

Post by xTally »

I've been looking all over the Westjet forums for information on the desired attributes for Westjet applicants. Particularily the requirement for multi-pic time. Seeing as I could be making a career decision that could prevent me from getting multi-pic time for the forseeable future, I'd like to see if this move would put me at a disadvantage in applying to Westjet.

Through researching the forums, ive found this post in which DaveP describes some of the desired attributes for applicants.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=61283

He mentions:
"We give a few points for having time on certain types such as corporate jet/705/military or similar airline ops to those of westjet including large cargo airlines like Cargojet. The next bump is TT 2500/3500/4500. Finally you get additional marks for simulator experience/FMS and education. Second languages are also in there"

I cannot find any recent reference to multi-pic time mentioned by Dave. And since the common story is that Westjet likes multi-pic time this makes me a bit confused. Hope someone can point me in the right direction with this! Thx.
---------- ADS -----------

goaroundthrust
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hiring requirements.

Post by goaroundthrust »

i think its a minimum of 500 multi pic . I might be wrong , maybe somebody else knows?

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

I think they strongly desire multi-PIC, but you can be hired without it.

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

I hear they'll hire you with less than 500 M-PIC, but only as a Flight Attendant :wink:

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
xTally
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xTally »

I've been hearing alot about this 500 multipic idea. I also know that most people what go to work at Westjet from a 703/704 op will have mpic time. However, I cannot find information to indicate if this follows true at the 705 level (Aka. Jazz).

Jercules
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Jercules »

xtally, you've likely already seen this from their website...
-Transport Canada Airline Transport Pilot’s License (Aeroplane).
-1,500 hours total time (Please note that if you have Second Officer time, only half of the Second Officer hours will be applied to total time).
-500 hours fixed wing Pilot-In-Command experience.
-500 hours fixed wing multi-engine experience.
-Valid Transport Canada Class 1 instrument rating.
-Valid Transport Canada Class 1 medical.
I'm sure they have 1000+ resumes with 5 times these requirements. Good luck with your decision.

xTally
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xTally »

Many thanks. Looks like 500 mpic, while probably preferred and easy for them to find is not explicitly required.

tomajet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tomajet »

From what I've been told from insiders is that 1000hrs PIC Multi Turbine is a very important number. Remember there are lots of boys and girls out there with time I heard most have had around 4500TT lots of MPIC turbine and/or, Jet/705/Military these can all help.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

I think the published hiring mins are used for military types. I think the average new hire still has over 5000 TT with thousands of multi turbine PIC.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Cabot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cabot »

Hi there - long time reader, first time poster.

I have a question that maybe DaveP could answer best, and that the membership here would certainly benefit from the response.

I've read countless threads on this forum on the WestJet hiring process over the past few years. The one thing that constantly pops up is the "matrix" - on how candidates get points for certain attributes (corporate jet/705/military, total time bumps, simulator experience/FMS/education/second language).

From the moment one enters a profile in the WestJet.com careers section, how is this matrix process scored? Is it computerized, information being pulled from the resume you enter, is it tallied by hand? Does info from your resume get pulled to a central database, which rates candidates according to these attributes? Also, as one enters updates to ones profiles, how is this reflected in the process?

I have been applying for several years to WestJet and have many of the attributes they mention, but thus far have not been able to make it to the interview stage. I'm just trying to examine my own profile, to do what I can to stand out in a very competitive market.

Thanks for any insights, I hope the community can benefit from the response. Good luck to all applicants!

Cabot

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

From what I know, there are 3000 qualified applicants, 1000 of which have internal recommends (helps with the interview from what I've been told). We will be hiring 40 pilots this year. I started a year ago. Everyone came off jets (corporate to A330 captains) except 1 guy from a Dash8. Mean flight time was 7000hrs. Tough company to get on with, but a great job once you're here.

Return to “WestJet”