Calls for upcming courses

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Machiavelli
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Calls for upcoming courses

Post by Machiavelli »

Dave will have the latest and greatest but as of about three weeks ago, the number I'd heard was around 30 new hires for 2011. I think the first 8 start Monday. Then 4 in August leaving 18 or so for the rest of the year. This is all second and third hand info. Good luck.
---------- ADS -----------

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Calls for upcming courses

Post by DaveP »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the desire to work here Powder. I apologize not getting to you.
It's simply such a big pool and we have a hard time reviewing everyone. Hang tight!

As for courses, we just started one today. Nice bunch of guys! A well diversified group as well. We have a military guy (snowbird number 5), a couple from Jazz (both Dash), a corporate jet fellow(citation), ex skyservice(757), US Airways guy(A320), PASCO guy(manager training/standards) and a CMA guy(b1900). I'm guessing the class average is fairly high and I would put it around 9 or 10 thousand hours.

The next two courses are slotted for August then one in September and one in November - Totalling only 36 for the year.

We hired a few for 2011 back in the fall of 2010 and efficiencies have really gone up with the 6 tails we are taking this year. Tail number 5 comes this week on the 19th. It's our tenth anniversary for the 737 NG. I think we have around 96 tails now!

Next years plan will be coming to light shortly as well. I suspect we will have some preliminary hire numbers by July or August.

We still have a few slots open this year as well for the fall courses but I'm going to stop interviewing until the mid to late summer in order to clear out the guys sitting in the current pool.

I hope that helps clear up some questions and a sincere thanks for those applying!

Dave.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

I wanted to pass along a quick update to keep everyone in the loop that is interested in the WJ hiring.
-Calls for the August 1st course are going out tomorrow (8)
-there will be a second course as advertised approximately 3 weeks later And calls for that one will be in the 3rd week of July.
-the plan is to still run one in Sept and one in October.

Thanks!
Dave.

culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

Hi Dave,

Has there ever been an AME from tech-ops that has transferred over to the flight department of our great company? Would being a current employee give that person a major advantage over a higher timer off the street in the selection process?

FriendlyBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thanks for the info

Post by FriendlyBear »

Thanks for the open comm's Dave,
even if I don't end up getting a call, it is still exciting and darn cool to read that there will be some deserving guys and gals hired in this exciting industry! I mean, how much more cooler can it get reading that there is expansion, progression and that some of our peers will see dreams come true! I know of no other company that is so open and forthright with hiring!
Thanks for the good news!
And good luck to those who get the call! :D
the FB :bear:

jazzyboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jazzyboy »

Wow this thread has been quiet lately. Anyone get a call for the Aug 1 course or know when calls are going out for the next course?

Lester7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lester7 »

Thanks Dave, Great to hear info for late summer to fall. Hoping my resume finds it's way through the crowd!

ZX14
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ZX14 »

Dave,

Any update on when the next calls are going out for the next course? Thanks.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi,
The next calls are this week (probably Wednesday) for the course starting Sept 19.

Cheers.

ZX14
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ZX14 »

Thanks for the update.

MTOP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MTOP »

Anybody hear anything today?

MTOP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MTOP »

congrats to all those that got called this year! To us left in the pool, head up, stay positive, hope to see you in the new year!

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

My friend's son got a call late last week. I think he said the course date was October 10. Good luck to all who are waiting.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

October 10th course calls went out Friday 09th of sept.

The next calls will likely be first week of Dec for a new course in the first week of Jan. This course has yet to be confirmed as we are just starting to get some guidance for 2012.

Interviewing will likely start up in November again.

Cheers!

Dave.

C-MNOP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by C-MNOP »

Hi Dave,

I was wondering if you might be able to shed some light on the experience of pilots that you have hired for the Sept/Oct groundschools? Airline/Corp/Commuter/Shuttle.......you know....that type of stuff.

Thanks in advance.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

I can't recall all, I'm just going off the top of my head here at home.

Here is a general overview of the Sept/Oct courses:

couple F18 guys
Few Porter guys
Couple Corp Jet guys
Cdn North
Air Canada
Jazz
Transwest
Sunwing

I believe the class averages are still around 5 to 6 thousand hours.

Cheers!

BBDriver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BBDriver »

Mr Dave P

Cudos for your up to date postings with Westjet!! With your busy sced, its great to see you have time to keep everyone in the loop.

Just a quick Thank You!!!

WhatThe?
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WhatThe? »

DaveP,

For all us Westjet-wannabes could you possibly share any info as to upcoming interview / course dates?

Thank you and Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

WT?

N8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by N8 »

WhatThe,

Dave posted about a month ago regarding this on this thread.viewtopic.php?f=36&t=77008
DaveP wrote: I do suspect we will be ramping up interviews in January through to the spring. I also expect we will interview twice monthly until mid summer. I hope you get picked!
The January course is full and the next set of courses start in July and run through to late fall.

Recently I sat down with the hiring team looking at several ways to improve our hiring transparency.
Some things coming down the pipe will be a more user friendly application tool allowing you to amend and edit your key qualifications along with a video of the "day in the life" of a Westjet pilot, job expectations and qualifications section. This will all be presented prior to you hitting the "APPLY HERE" tab.

This should be rolled out by Q2 2012.

Internally our guys and gals will be able to visit our flight ops team site where they can view all members of the hiring team, recent memos and up to date hiring information.

Thanks again for your desire to work here!!

Dave.
Good luck

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi Guys,
We called for the Jan 09th course last week. In addition we are now starting to pull resumes for bi weekly interviewing until June.
These interviews will be for planned courses in July/Aug/Sept and Oct.

Cheers!
Dave.

Return to “WestJet”