Poll: How long did it take to go from CPL to Airline

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Poll: How long did it take to go from CPL to Airline

Post by cj555 »

I am considering a career change at age 30, and am interested to hear how long it took for you to go from your CPL to when you landed your first Airline job or equivalent (good, stable corporate, charter job etc).

1. Poll: How long did it take you to go from CPL (250hrs) to Airline (or first decent stable job)? (ie What year did get your CPL, what year did you start at an Airline?)

2. Poll: How many hours did you have when you landed your first Airline job?

3. Poll: What was the most important factor for finding and landing jobs in this industry?

4. Poll: What did your path look like getting there?
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Poll: How long did it take to go from CPL to Airline

Post by North Shore »

OK, I'll bite. CPL in January '96 Instructor rating, and instructing job by the middle of that summer. First 'real' job (on floats) by ~ June '97. Got into my current gig (ETA: It's not an Airline, but it's my airline) in February 2001. This will be my 3rd summer in the left seat.

Got this job at ~ 2500TT. I've tailored my path to arrive where I want to be, but one of my previous chief pilots helped by telling me that they were hiring, and by giving me a good reference. Also the instructing gig was helped along by a friendship with the CFI at the time. (Funnily enough both of them are at WJ now!)

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

North Shore wrote:OK, I'll bite. CPL in January '96 Instructor rating, and instructing job by the middle of that summer. First 'real' job (on floats) by ~ June '97. Got into my current gig (ETA: It's not an Airline, but it's my airline) in February 2001. This will be my 3rd summer in the left seat.

Got this job at ~ 2500TT. I've tailored my path to arrive where I want to be, but one of my previous chief pilots helped by telling me that they were hiring, and by giving me a good reference. Also the instructing gig was helped along by a friendship with the CFI at the time. (Funnily enough both of them are at WJ now!)
Hey North Shore,

That actually seems pretty fast! You had 2500TT, and your current job (which sounds pretty good) in 5 years. What type of aircraft are you on now? What was your starting salary at your current job?

I am debating the pros/cons of instructing vs going up north on the ramp. Sounds like you make alot of important connections working as an instructor. What are your thoughs on the experience gained instructing vs going up north and working on the ramp/flying right away?

av8tor_assrope
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by av8tor_assrope »

Great thread.

CPL MIFR Dec 06
Right seat Turbine June 07
Right seat 737 Aug 11

Worked the ramp and in dispatch while flight training and prior to first right seat job.
Flown in the Arctic, overseas on floats and coast to coast regional flying before landing on the 737.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

av8tor_assrope wrote:Great thread.

CPL MIFR Dec 06
Right seat Turbine June 07
Right seat 737 Aug 11

Worked the ramp and in dispatch while flight training and prior to first right seat job.
Flown in the Arctic, overseas on floats and coast to coast regional flying before landing on the 737.
Wow that looks like a very fast career progression. 5 years to right seat 737. How many hours did you have when you got on the 737? What would you say was the most important factor in pushing your career progression forward?

Return to “WestJet”