'Regional' Flight Crew Selection - What are you looking for?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rampart
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: 'Regional' Flight Crew Selection - What are you looking

Post by rampart »

Thanks for the reply Dave. I have generally not made a habit of looking over the fence as the company I work for now has been very good to me. However it is inevitable that my family and I will want to move and I will want to take my career to the next level. The whole regional thing has definitely got my attention so I have recently been doing my homework as far as compatibility goes and WestJet seems to be all that I could really hope for. I'm sure I'm not alone on this one but what advice would you give to a guy like me (703/704 4000hrs mpc) to become part of the team. I have always felt that WJ might not be an option because I don't have the 705 time and as I said, I really don't want to change jobs and move my family until I am confident that we will be happy. I'm just hoping the regional news may have opened up a door for me.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

rampart
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rampart »

Hi DaveP, I have a couple more question for you or anyone else on the recruitment team. I realize that there is a mountain of resumes for you to choose from so does somebody that has been applying for years have any advantage over somebody who has put there resume in for the first time with all else being equal? Also, can we assume that even though we don't get a call has our resume/cover at least had a quick scan or is it quite possible that it just didn't get read as there are only so many eyes to read the resumes?

I'm sure you hear this all the time but I'm new on here... Very cool of you to keep the communication open on here. It clearly speaks to the culture at Wj and why so many people want to work there!!!

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

DaveP wrote:Your guess will be as good as mine.
I would say: "it will depend on the market” Things like trainability, corporate risk etc all has to be weighed. Hiring Captains and those that can upgrade fast will be primary goals for the interviewers. Not to mention getting the right “people" fit. Flow trough rates to the 737 will weigh in too.

Cheers.
Dave,

I know that I will sound like a broken record but every time that you reference the term 'flowthrough' it rekindles memories of the flawed and dysfunctional process that existed at AC.

I hope that WJ will do better and that can start by creating and implementing a more enlightened and functional model than AC did. I believe that all WJ and WJR pilots should exist on one list. I suspect that you disagree. If you want to continue with the team concept then there can only be one team, not two. No second class citizens and no 'farm team' where only the chosen few get to play in the big leagues.

Best of luck.

7thirtyseven
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7thirtyseven »

+1 rudder!

for the life of me I still cant figure out the "up" side of the two lists... but then Ive only been watching and living the way pilots treat each other for 20+ yrs. Maybe one day Ill figure it out.

We can say with confidence the relationship between pilot groups at WJA WILL be dramatically different than historical situations.... but why borrow lingo and terms fthat have negative implications from "failed" ventures of the past?

For someone looking to get hired as a q400 driver, the vast majority (me included) of 37 driverswant to see both the "regional" and the individual pilots succeed. We view the q400 operation NOT as a threat, but as integral to our own personal success.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Good conversation here. I think the model Westjet is aiming for is something of the likes of Alaska/Horizon. I found the relationship between the 2 pilot groups to be quite stable and orderly. One of the key successes of this was that almost every single Horizon Air driver moved up to Alaska assuming there had been no major issues with that pilot. The ones that stayed back at Horizon typically were more interested in the training aspects or the seniority. I hope Westjet adopts a similar concept.

canadi>n
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canadi>n »

With Greg in command you can count on it.

cv990
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cv990 »

7thirtyseven wrote:+1 rudder!
We view the q400 operation NOT as a threat, but as integral to our own personal success.
Now that is precisely what has been missing for years on the domestic landscape. Well said.

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

7thirtyseven wrote: We view the q400 operation NOT as a threat, but as integral to our own personal success.
That is the best sentence in the WJ forum I have ever read!

Nice.

JJJ

Jer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jer »

I heard all GS for the mainline are complete for 2012.

Are there any WJ mainline F/Os willing to make the switch as captain for the WJR ?

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Would Dave P. or anyone else have any news/updates regarding the regional ops (ie. hiring/compensation/news/etc.) that could be passed along....

Only news lately has been from a few articles in the press regarding livery and name ideas...

Cheers

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Lots of choices now for pilots looking for work in 2013. Some pilots may go and try the EMB experiment at Sky Regional. WJ may have to reevaluate WAWCON at WJ Express with this new development. Once again, an assured career path to WJ will trump any other Tier 2 flying opportunity.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

According to this article, Encore should be starting in mid 2013.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... ncore.html

Vmeup
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Vmeup »

Would anybody be able to comment on whether or not those who missed out on the postings will still be able to be considered for the early hiring? I've just realized that I didn't have my search alerts set properly and I have missed the postings from September and early October.

I'm hoping the response isn't "tough luck," though if it is, at least I have the alerts set up correctly now.

Regards,

Vmeup

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi!

You haven’t missed anything yet!

Both posting will be up in the near future!

Dave.

ihavecontrol
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ihavecontrol »

Was there actually a posting up in early October? Maybe I don't have my alerts set properly either, but I've been checking the jobs page regularly and haven't seen anything in a while. Am I missing something?

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

ihavecontrol, would you read the post above yours dated Oct 22, by none other than DaveP himself.

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

mbav8r wrote:ihavecontrol, would you read the post above yours dated Oct 22, by none other than DaveP himself.
It's like herding cats

Realitychex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Realitychex »

WestJet started flying on Feb 29 1996. The hiring process started in October 1995 about 5 months prior.

Encore's first revenue flight will likely be no earlier than June 2013. That should assist those wondering how the timelines will likely work.

It'll be interesting to see when WJ commits to a Q400 Simulator. As I recall there's a vacant sim bay at WJ's HQ.

They'll want one when there are 20 Q400's in the fleet, and I would imagine there's at least an 18 month lead time to acquire a sim.

8)

ihavecontrol
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ihavecontrol »

Thanks guys. I read Dave's post. The previous poster referred to missing a specific posting in early October because of improperly setup job alerts. Just wanted to make sure I'm not in the same boat.

CanadaEH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CanadaEH »

Realitychex wrote:WestJet started flying on Feb 29 1996. The hiring process started in October 1995 about 5 months prior.

Encore's first revenue flight will likely be no earlier than June 2013. That should assist those wondering how the timelines will likely work.

It'll be interesting to see when WJ commits to a Q400 Simulator. As I recall there's a vacant sim bay at WJ's HQ.

They'll want one when there are 20 Q400's in the fleet, and I would imagine there's at least an 18 month lead time to acquire a sim.

8)
Depends on where Encore HQ is situated.

Return to “WestJet”