Question regarding pilot recruitment and the new website...

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Question regarding pilot recruitment and the new website...

Post by loopy »

I received an email a while ago regarding the opening of a new website for WestJet jobs and the requirement to reapply on the new system, which was to be available yesterday. I did upload my new profile yesterday, however, when I tried to apply for any "pilot" jobs it said that there was nothing in the system. Do I need to have "applied" for a pilot position for my profile to be considered?

I do also see that you can select which company in the WestJet group that you are applying for, "any, WestJet or regional". Does applying here as a pilot and selecting "any" put me in the running for both operations, or will there be a separate site for regional to apply to?

Just a little feedback on the new system from a user point of view. Compared to the old system, it is much easier to modify what I have previously loaded, although, unless I am missing something, there does not seem to be specific data entry for pilot experience.

When I enter a previous employer, and I select which industry that employer is in, the closest I can come to for an airline or air carriers is "transportation". For the flight schools, "educational services". Under certifications or licenses, the only options are accounting, HR or IT based. I get that the new website is for company wide hiring, it's just that I was asked to reapply here as a pilot, and it appears to me that the software has perhaps not been tailored to all of WestJet's needs yet. Then again, I am a pilot, and it's all about me. Perhaps's there is tweeking to come.
---------- ADS -----------

El Comat
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Question regarding pilot recruitment and the new website

Post by El Comat »

I'm in the same boat. I've made my profile but can't seem to apply for a job as a pilot. DaveP, any tips? Thanks!

EC

lomcevak
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lomcevak »

There is no posting for pilot yet!
The email you are referring to was from HR and said that the Westjet Corporate job site will be updated.
It also said that the pilot position will be advertised later in the year. (There is none posted yet -just in case you had not noticed in your haste)
If you want to call yourself a professional, read, think, follow instructions, and relax....

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

Roger. Willco. Don't forget to breath. :smt040 I got ya.

Darkhorse
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Darkhorse »

someones a little anal

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi Guys,
I sent our HR an email tonight. I'll have some answers soon and let you know.
I'm just away on holidays flying a little floats in yxl - back in the office Monday.

It shouldn't be long.

Cheers

Zapp Brannigan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Glad someone asked and answered!

And not a bad time of the yr to be out on floats away from the city

El Comat
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by El Comat »

Thanks Dave. Enjoy YXL..I miss that place!

7thirtyseven
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7thirtyseven »

lomcevak wrote:There is no posting for pilot yet!
The email you are referring to was from HR and said that the Westjet Corporate job site will be updated.
It also said that the pilot position will be advertised later in the year. (There is none posted yet -just in case you had not noticed in your haste)
If you want to call yourself a professional, read, think, follow instructions, and relax....
...Im guessing you dont know many pilots...

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

Thanks Dave. Enjoy your vacation and recreational flying.

FriendlyBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FriendlyBear »

Good job on the new website! I got all excited when I saw the email from Gina... 8) I have been away flying floats, finally back at home for a short break, so I took the time to update my profile and apply for the pilot position! Here's hoping!! Anyways, best of luck to all who apply!!
Fly safe out there and enjoy the summer!
Cheers
FB :bear:

Zapp Brannigan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Dave, with the new profile and application website, would it be necessary to have your internal referrals re-submit their pilot sponsorship letters? Or would it be alright just to include them as references on the online application?

The new site seems alright but still has some shortcomings. Editing an existing profile seems difficult still, unless I'm not getting it. Also, it forces you to choose a licence/certificate and none are pilot specific. I wasn't smart enough to get my CA or have any IT experience!

Good luck to all.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi Zapp,
Thanks for the note. To be honest I haven’t had time to play on the site and as you mentioned, the pilot application is now live as of yesterday. I heard that 25 or 30 have applied already.

As for your old sponsorship forms, they are still active. We never deactivated that database, so all is good.

I have some other good news on the hiring front too.

Due to an increase in winter flying, we have spooled up our hiring again. Interviewing will begin again in August and continue through the winter.

Courses are now starting July 30th (12) Aug 20th (10) Sept 10 (10) and two courses in Oct (10 and 8)

Hope that helps!!

Dave.

Zapp Brannigan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Dave, thanks for the reply and the update. That is defiantly good news for WestJet and those of us that want to build our careers with you guys. I'm sure that number of applicants will grow quickly! Maybe there are bonus points on the matrix for having your resume in first? (not serious at all about that)

Last edited by Zapp Brannigan on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying Nutcracker
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Flying Nutcracker »

You get your bonus after visiting this web-site...

http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/

Sorry! Just couldn't rezizt!

No cruelty intended

Zapp Brannigan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Totally sarcastic.

I love the link. Worst word in the engrish langauge to spell! lol

Partner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Partner »

As a Canadian passport holder, what is the correct answer to question 27?

27. *If not a Canadian passport, do you hold a Canadian Permanent Resident Card and all individual crew visas necessary for you to fly unrestricted, anywhere WestJet flies?

I have a Canadian passport and so answered No, but now am wondering if yes is the correct answer for any eligible applicant.

I pressed apply, so I can't change it. How do I fix it if I answered the question incorrectly?

Noodle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Noodle »

Howdy Partner,

You did in fact answer the question correctly and your Canadian passport will suffice. This is the first week using the new system and we are trying to tweak it as issues are raised so thanks for bringing this observation forward. We will try to improve the wording soonest.

As for changing information, the following is a brief summary of how to go about it as well as a couple of other points;

Profile: The first step as you know is creating your profile. This can be changed easily if you wish to make modifications.

Resume / Cover Letter: You can update your resume and/or cover letter anytime you wish while the pilot position is posted. This can be done under “My Profile”.

Application Questions:
As you noted, once you have completed these questions, they can not be changed while the pilot position is posted. If you have made an error, you can “withdraw your application” (this can be found using the "actions" drop down function under Job Management -> Jobs Applied) then just re-apply and modify your answers accordingly.

There have also been issues raised with respect to the profile question regarding "Certification/License". This is a generic field for all applications at Westjet and will likely be further populated over time but is not applicable for the pilot position. Simply click the delete function in the top right of that field if it won't let you save your profile.

Internal Referrals: Although we could not retain past applications when we activated the new system, all previous internal referrals have been retained as they are maintained under a separate system.

Once the pilot position posting is removed, your profile will be retained. When the pilot position is subsequently re-posted, interested applicants will be required to re-apply during which your profile will be re-activated and you just need to update your applicable information accordingly at that time.

Thanks again for bringing forward your observations and good luck with your application.

Cheers!

Noodle

Pilot Selection Team

Partner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Partner »

Thanks for your help!

codfish
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by codfish »

if there is a resume and cover letter uploaded to the site do you still have to fill out the "external work experience, formal education, cert's/licences etc... boxes? is this the new site for the q400 ops or is it for the 737 side of things or both? guess i should of specified that on my cover letter. oh well!

cod

Return to “WestJet”