WJ Application Question

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Batur
Rank 0
Rank 0

WJ Application Question

Post by Batur »

A question for those who have applied, both successfully and unsuccessfully. I applied to both the WestJet and Encore postings about a month and a half ago. I received the auto response thanking me for my applications right away. Since then, my application status has been "In Progress". I'm hoping for now no news is good news. Can anyone give me a bit of an idea of the timeline they experienced? Will the status eventually change? Does everyone eventually get some sort of positive or negative response? Are interview invitations made by phone only or by email as well? Anyone else apply to the most recent postings and get an interview or a "no thanks" yet? Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: WJ Application Question

Post by brooks »

From what I heard the phone calls for the first set of WestJet/Encore interviews happened at the beginning of January, with interviews late January early Febuary. I hear they interview for both now.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

Your application will say "In Progress," then if the position is filled it will change to "Unsuccessful at this time," and you will most likely get a PFO email. As far as timing goes, it can be "In Progress" for 2 months or even longer before it changes. I wouldn't worry too much about it, theres nothing you can do now but wait. Best of luck.

FlyingFinn
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FlyingFinn »

So I applied a few days ago. It said "Processing" after I submitted it. Just checked it now and it just says "Thank you for your application". Is that mean a mild PFO, never got an email nor does it say unsuccessful.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

FlyingFinn wrote:So I applied a few days ago. It said "Processing" after I submitted it. Just checked it now and it just says "Thank you for your application". Is that mean a mild PFO, never got an email nor does it say unsuccessful.
I think it says "Thank you for your application" when you first apply, but in a few days it should change to "In Progress."

FlyingFinn
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FlyingFinn »

Ok Thanks for the info. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a phone call.

50'minimums
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 50'minimums »

Received a phone call in early Jan. They indicated the interview would be for both Mainline and Encore. No telephone interview was required.

TheGreatCornholio
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TheGreatCornholio »

Mine has said "In Progress" since the end of July. I have never received a call or letter.

FlyingFinn
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FlyingFinn »

So I just checked my application again and noticed that it still says "thank you for your application" under the next step. Hasn't switched to "in Progress" at all. Kinda wondering if that's it, not qualified or not interested on westjets part? Maybe I'm just overly concerned about it. Either way would love to become a part of the team, hoping for the phone to ring at some point. Any insight if they are hiring for mainline at this point still or has focus shifted to crewing Encore?

Cat19
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cat19 »

Keep in mind FlyingFinn that since the invention of the internet, applying for jobs is a whole new ball game. In the past, companies would post their job ads in newspapers that would not be seen by alot of people so they would maybe get a couple hundred applications for any one job posting. Now, with the internet, thousands of people see those ads and instead of a couple hundred applications, they probably get a couple thousand for every job posting. You're not the only person out there looking for a job. It takes time for them to weed out the qualified applicants from the non qualified ones.

Just as an example, The City of Surrey BC received 40,050 applications in 2012 alone. That's an average of about 770 applications a week. Can you imagine being the people who have to go through all those!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if Westjet's application volume is right up around that level too.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Does anybody know roughly how many people they have hired for Mainline/Encore so far this year? Do they hire a fair majority of people that haven't done a walk through?

Lateralus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lateralus »

I think there have been 3 classes so far this year for the 37, with average class of 10. There are classes I think every 3 weeks not sure for how long though. I've heard around 80 guys this year. As far as walk throughs I would say most who get hired have done them. I personally never did and got lucky, and I know of a few others as well. Good Luck!

Edited to add I don't know much about Encore or whats happening there.

BCRJDRIVER
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BCRJDRIVER »

Is there any chance of getting an interview invite without any internal recs.

George Taylor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by George Taylor »

There's a guy in the current class that didn't do a walk through.

onetreehill
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by onetreehill »

That's true but he had my referral.

wjhr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wjhr »

Lots of people get on without coming into the campus.
Saw DaveP yesterday, the April 22 course was called. They still have May 13, June 24, July 15, Sept 30 and Oct 21 to fill. 96 pilots total with an exciting announcement this week.
Encore has filled their first two classes. One with all dash 8 captains from various 705 outfits. The other class has all Q400 pilots from mostly Jazz and Porter.
The flow will guarantee you a job at wj without an interview ever again provided you do a good job and train well at encore. WJ will crank up the flow as best they can. They are also modeling the cost of one list, carrying holidays and current pay when you do flow over. More news on that shortly. Once the initial captains have been hired, then the hiring for encore will concentrate on lower time guys to train.
80 pilots for encore in 2013 and it looks like the first AC options will be excersiced soon.
Bidding system will be Merlot, which makes FLICA look old fashioned!
Blocking averages once some more routes get established are estimated to be around 80 to 85 hrs per pilot per month. It won't be very efficient to start.

Standby for more!
wjhr :)

Oleo 4
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oleo 4 »

Those dates you speak of, they are for encore? Any news then for future 37 classes?

wjhr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wjhr »

Those are the 737 classes.
The pilot postings will be closing soon(if not today) and will open in a few weeks again.

blue-sky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by blue-sky »

[Lots of people get on without coming into the campus.
Saw DaveP yesterday, the April 22 course was called. They still have May 13, June 24, July 15, Sept 30 and Oct 21 to fill. 96 pilots total with an exciting announcement this week.[/quote]

What exciting announcement ??? Any idea's.

Rem
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rem »

I don't know but I heard today that the FAA just approved an STC for lead acid batteries on the '87....

Return to “WestJet”