Did you get your galley cart?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Kurwa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Did you get your galley cart?

Post by Kurwa »

CRA is looking at everything...from hotel points, to bringing your kids on a maintenance flight. It's all a 'benefit' and easy money. Big companies don't want to fall into issues with CRA so they willingly provide the data. Pretty soon, if you work in a bakery and get to take home all the day-olds that will have to be declared as well....I can see it now on the T4; box 76 Donuts and Other, Box 79 Empty Cardboard Boxes et cetera...
---------- ADS -----------

critical engine
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: A Little Outta The Way Place, That Serves Great Viking Food

Post by critical engine »

Got Mine! Mint condition too. Also bought one off another employee. I'm hoarding now bitches! .... Muh hahaha

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Well someone has to make up the shortfall from our tax evading/wasting
senators.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

its tax efficiency....and you would do it as well if you could...
in fact you can if you are interested I will tell you how
but you need the wjpa to convince your payroll peeps to be open to paying you offshore and man can you save some money.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

bombardierfixer wrote: 2. They get allowances for meal cost replacement and dry cleaning
bombardierfixer, do you know what a per diem is and why some people get them and some people don't?

All employees who travel for work can write off their meal expenses using actual receipts or the general formula of collecting (I'm not sure what the current money value is) X number of dollars per meal for every 4 hours away from base. Alternatively, the company can pay a per diem to the employee and then the company claims the tax write off.

This is not a perk, it is not a bonus of employment and it is not an extra. While those who work and live in the same city every day get to go home, buy groceries, cook and eat in their own houses... those who travel have no such ability to do any of those things. The per diems paid usually do not match the tax write off one could take. The dry cleaning allowance does not even come close to covering the cost of cleaning the dry clean only uniforms that are required to be worn for work. Would you be upset or feel that these employees are using a legal tax break is a perk?

I might be misreading your intent, so forgive me if I am but, a meal cost replacement is not a perk, it is an assistance to people who have no choice but to buy overpriced food while unable to eat in their own homes. If it were not paid by the company it would be recovered directly by the employee as a tax write off.

P. S. I only got long winded about this because I had seen/heard quite a few comments coming from the non-flight-line people that seem to feel this is some sort of perk... I'm not sure where that idea is originating from but it needs to stop.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/tl2/tl2-12e.pdf

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/whtsnw/trck-llw-eng.html
Employees of transport businesses
(claiming a deduction under paragraph 8(1)(g) of the Income Tax Act)

Employees can use the simplified method if:
the principal business of their employer is to transport goods, passengers, or both (such as airline, railway, bus, and trucking companies); and
in the course of their work they must regularly travel away from the municipality and the metropolitan area (if there is one) where their employer's establishment to which they report for work is located, on vehicles used by the employer to transport goods or passengers.

This allows them to deduct amounts they pay for meals and lodging while away, as long as they have not been reimbursed and are not entitled to be reimbursed for any part of the amounts deducted.

This deduction is intended for transport employees who have to pay for meals and lodging while travelling because their journeys take them away for a substantial distance and duration from their municipality and metropolitan area, if there is one. This means that transport employees must generally be away from home overnight when performing their employment duties. This deduction is not intended for employees who return to their homes at the end of each day and make disbursements for meals only as a matter of course.

To claim this deduction, transport employees must summarize their trip information using Form TL2, Claim for Meals and Lodging Expenses. Both the employee and the employer should complete this form.

CanadaEH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CanadaEH »

You are given a per diem, regardless of whether you eat. You can't claim that.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

CanadaEH, I'm confused are you saying that pilots will go days without food?
I highlighted the part that says you "can't" claim the deduction if you are reimbursed and yes per diems would be considered being reimbursed.
Also of note, the government doesn't like to advertise, but as of approximately 8 years ago federal employees away on business received 75.00 a day per diem, yet they would only allow a deduction for transport employees of 45.00/day and through their formula only received 50% of that as a deduction.
Truckers were suing the government and I now see, if you are a long haul trucker, you can claim 80% of 45.00/day, still not 75.00/day. I wonder what Senators per diems are?

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

At Jazz the per diems are $ 82.84. It is broken down as $ 65.88 for meals and $16.86 for incidentals.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Now I'm really confused. The thread went from something about galley carts to per diems at jazz? :rolleyes:

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

Just pointing out what the going rate for per diems are at Jazz. What does the flight crew make at WJ and WJE?

CanadaEH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CanadaEH »

mbav8r wrote:CanadaEH, I'm confused are you saying that pilots will go days without food?
I highlighted the part that says you "can't" claim the deduction if you are reimbursed and yes per diems would be considered being reimbursed.
Also of note, the government doesn't like to advertise, but as of approximately 8 years ago federal employees away on business received 75.00 a day per diem, yet they would only allow a deduction for transport employees of 45.00/day and through their formula only received 50% of that as a deduction.
Truckers were suing the government and I now see, if you are a long haul trucker, you can claim 80% of 45.00/day, still not 75.00/day. I wonder what Senators per diems are?
Sorry mbav8r I clearly didn't read the highlighted part. My bad!! :oops:

Return to “WestJet”