Encore and ATPL

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Encore and ATPL

Post by loopa »

Is encore hiring guys that have a frozen atpl? By that I mean somebody with a CPL/IR/ATPL exams and a type rating on a 705 machine causing your exams to be frozen?

Or do they want the unrestricted ATPL from the get go even if you are only a few hours of total time away from achieving your A's? The reason I ask is the ATPL sticker can usually take 3-6 months to arrive in the mail, so would it be worth a shot to apply at Encore if you wouldn't be seeing the left seat in 2-3 years anyway? I know that you have to answer YES to ATPL for your application not to get rejected.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Howitzer
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Encore and ATPL

Post by Howitzer »

If you have to answer YES to not get rejected, there's your answer. If you lie and its found out, good bye job. But lets not get into that story again...

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Exactly what I'm trying to prevent... so on that note is a frozen atpl valued?

Thanks!

redbaron
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by redbaron »

You know there's no such thing as a "frozen ATPL" in Canada right? So it seems unlikely that WestJet would care that much vs someone who has just the IATRA, although I certainly have no direct knowledge of this.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

While I agree with you, there's an excerpt in the CAR's that states that the IATRA or ATPL exams are frozen upon completion of a type rating on a 2 crew aircraft.

I know it is the exams, but one has to wonder what the difference is for a company for a guy that only needs total time for an atpl vs a guy that has it... especially if that person won't be in a position to upgrade on their planes for a while anyway. Especially when the answer to all the other questions they ask about FMS/>12.5/Airline Exp/ETC is yes, it seems kind of odd that they would get hung up on an ATPL when every other requirement is a yes and all that person needs is a few hundred hours added to their logbook. Hence why I thought they might value a situation as mentioned in the OP.

421.40(3)(a)(i)(B)

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

If the requirements say they want an ATPL, then I would think they want an ATPL. You either have one or you don't. Its pretty black and white.

DH772
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DH772 »

[quote]Is encore hiring guys that have a frozen atpl? By that I mean somebody with a CPL/IR/ATPL exams and a type rating on a 705 machine causing your exams to be frozen?

Or do they want the unrestricted ATPL from the get go even if you are only a few hours of total time away from achieving your A's? The reason I ask is the ATPL sticker can usually take 3-6 months to arrive in the mail, so would it be worth a shot to apply at Encore if you wouldn't be seeing the left seat in 2-3 years anyway? I know that you have to answer YES to ATPL for your application not to get rejected.

Thanks![/quote]

Unrestricted ATPL ?? Not sure what kind of magic license you have but plain and simple all you have is a commercial license. So if they state ATPL then that's what you need. I think the Frozen ATPL is more of an advantage for the candidate then for the employer. For ex, what advantage do you have over a king air captain still operating under a commercial license?

You wouldn't be seeing left seat for 2-3 years? Not sure your sources but all they are hiring right now are captains (hence the ATPL and experience).

3-6 months for your sticker to arrive? Again, not sure where your sources are coming from. Everyone I know (including myself) got their sticker within 2-4 weeks.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Ok I think that answers the question I was looking for.

CPL + ATPL EXAMS + TYPE RATING in 2 crew 705 does not account for you having the contents of a Frozen Atpl, so hence WJ would reject your application.

DH772, that's awesome that it tooks 2-4 weeks. Personally I have come across people that have taken up to 3 months sometimes 5... depends which region you submit it in.

Jack In The Box
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jack In The Box »

FWIW, I've been waiting 2 months for my sticker and I'm still likely a month away. I'm in YWG.

chinglish
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chinglish »

Pacific Region, I dropped my paperwork off in person and two weeks later I had my sticker. I don't know if that helps?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Based on WestJets history of hiring guys saying they had ATPLs when they didn't they may be a bit sensitive of you stretching anything on this matter... I would just press the TC office, tell them you need it for an upgrade and extended wait time is holding you back...

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

altiplano wrote:Based on WestJets history of hiring guys saying they had ATPLs when they didn't they may be a bit sensitive of you stretching anything on this matter... I would just press the TC office, tell them you need it for an upgrade and extended wait time is holding you back...
Ya I remember, wasn't it that guy that said he had an ATPL went through his training and then they found out he didn't and got let go?

More so for the purpose of this thread I was wondering if they would credit guys that have their ATPL written and a 705 type rating because that freezes your exams in the very same fashion as the good old JAA ATPL gets frozen in Europe. Was more so curious if there was an area of the consideration process they hadn't looked into. As well I was wondering if "wjhr" or somebody with inner knowledge would shed some light on this.

Thanks to all the replies!

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

loopa wrote:
altiplano wrote:Based on WestJets history of hiring guys saying they had ATPLs when they didn't they may be a bit sensitive of you stretching anything on this matter... I would just press the TC office, tell them you need it for an upgrade and extended wait time is holding you back...
Ya I remember, wasn't it that guy that said he had an ATPL went through his training and then they found out he didn't and got let go?

More so for the purpose of this thread I was wondering if they would credit guys that have their ATPL written and a 705 type rating because that freezes your exams in the very same fashion as the good old JAA ATPL gets frozen in Europe. Was more so curious if there was an area of the consideration process they hadn't looked into. As well I was wondering if "wjhr" or somebody with inner knowledge would shed some light on this.

Thanks to all the replies!
I keep hearing about these frozen ATPL exams when you obtain a 705 type rating but I can't find anything written about it??? Anyone have a link?

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

whiteguy wrote:I keep hearing about these frozen ATPL exams when you obtain a 705 type rating but I can't find anything written about it??? Anyone have a link?
The SARON/SAMRA do not expire with a two-crew type rating. 400.03(2)(b)(i).
400.03(1) Subject to subsection (3), written examinations, including all sections of a sectionalized examination, that are required for the issuance of a permit or licence or for the endorsement of a permit or licence with a rating shall be completed during the 24‑month period preceding the date of the application for the permit, licence or rating.
(amended 2012/02/19; previous version)

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of examinations that are required for the issuance of
(amended 2001/03/01; previous version)

(a) a student pilot permit; or

(b) an airline transport pilot licence if examinations were previously written

(i) for the endorsement of a type rating, a mark of 70 per cent or higher was obtained on the examination and the type rating was issued;

(ii) for the issuance of the former senior commercial pilot licence, a mark of 70 per cent or higher was obtained on the examination and the senior commercial pilot licence was issued; or

(iii) for the issuance of an airline transport pilot licence — aeroplane, an airline transport pilot licence — aeroplane integrated course was successfully completed during the 5-year period preceding the date of the application for the licence and a course completion certificate was issued.
(amended 2006/12/14; no previous version)

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

One would almost imagine that the intent behind that CAR as well as 421.40 is to "freeze" your ATPL's even though we don't have such a thing in Canada.

Again, if WJHR or somebody with inner knowledge can shed some light on if u guys credit for this or not then that's awesome!

Thanks!

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

It is the exact same thing as the JAA equivalent "frozen" ATPL. People just don't like the word frozen in Canada (for some bizarre reason :P)

Don't know about WJ, but try giving them a call or sending a PM to WJHR.

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

Krimson wrote:
whiteguy wrote:I keep hearing about these frozen ATPL exams when you obtain a 705 type rating but I can't find anything written about it??? Anyone have a link?
The SARON/SAMRA do not expire with a two-crew type rating. 400.03(2)(b)(i).
400.03(1) Subject to subsection (3), written examinations, including all sections of a sectionalized examination, that are required for the issuance of a permit or licence or for the endorsement of a permit or licence with a rating shall be completed during the 24‑month period preceding the date of the application for the permit, licence or rating.
(amended 2012/02/19; previous version)

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of examinations that are required for the issuance of

(a) a student pilot permit; or

(b) an airline transport pilot licence if examinations were previously written

(i) for the endorsement of a type rating, a mark of 70 per cent or higher was obtained on the examination and the type rating was issued;

(ii) for the issuance of the former senior commercial pilot licence, a mark of 70 per cent or higher was obtained on the examination and the senior commercial pilot licence was issued; or

(iii) for the issuance of an airline transport pilot licence — aeroplane, an airline transport pilot licence — aeroplane integrated course was successfully completed during the 5-year period preceding the date of the application for the licence and a course completion certificate was issued.
(amended 2006/12/14; no previous version)

Great, thanks!

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

For anyone else that's wondering I got the official word from WJHR.

They won't select you, even for a F/O job with Encore unless you have an unrestricted ATPL.

Thanks!

Jack In The Box
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jack In The Box »

loopa wrote:One would almost imagine that the intent behind that CAR as well as 421.40 is to "freeze" your ATPL's even though we don't have such a thing in Canada.
Care to share where? I cannot find it anywhere in there. I am curious too, because I hear a lot about a large aircraft type rating extending the validity of your exams but I do not believe this is true.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Hey Jack,

If you read above my reply you see a bunch of great references from the CAR's that validates the exam being frozen.

Return to “WestJet”