WJE Flow through

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: WJE Flow through

Post by Bede »

yycflyguy wrote:Nobody has addressed my question. I guess it is because nobody has considered it? Westjet growth cannot continue forever. There will at least be stagnation and probably contraction in the future. Then what?
yycflyguy wrote:What happens in times of mainline contraction? Will there be a flowback of mainline pilots into Encore positions meaning bottom guy at Encore faces furlough?
To my knowledge there is no "flow back". I assume any lay off would be at the respective company. However, any WJ pilot can go to WJE if they're hiring (in LOU) so my guess is that if WJ laid off and WJE was hiring, they'd all go to WJE. Pure guess though.
---------- ADS -----------

Marinth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Marinth »

Bede wrote:
yycflyguy wrote:Nobody has addressed my question. I guess it is because nobody has considered it? Westjet growth cannot continue forever. There will at least be stagnation and probably contraction in the future. Then what?
yycflyguy wrote:What happens in times of mainline contraction? Will there be a flowback of mainline pilots into Encore positions meaning bottom guy at Encore faces furlough?
To my knowledge there is no "flow back". I assume any lay off would be at the respective company. However, any WJ pilot can go to WJE if they're hiring (in LOU) so my guess is that if WJ laid off and WJE was hiring, they'd all go to WJE. Pure guess though.
With that being said, would you still have hire back rights with WJ, or would you be stuck in the WJE line?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

My guess is you'd keep your number. It would be similar to what was promised to guys if they wanted to join WJE at start-up (no one did). This is just speculation though and quite hypothetical. Recently we had a surplus of FA's with the 1:50 and while the company could have laid off, they provided buyouts.

Vernon Demerest
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Vernon Demerest »

Bede wrote:
Sorry Bede you're wrong. Pilots on layoff from WestJet are able to bump into a position at Encore. Placement to be determined by their WestJet DOH.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Would mainliners have to take a paycut going to Encore (if there ever was flowback) ? Cause it sounds like going from Encore to mainline involves starting at bottom of the payscale.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Vernon,

Learn something new everyday. Where is that published?

Vernon Demerest
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Vernon Demerest »

Bede,

In our agreement.

Vern

furthadawgs
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by furthadawgs »

Been with WJ for almost 2 years and this is the first I've heard of this WPPA. Can't see that gaining any steam until TA2 gets rejected.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

furthadawgs wrote:Been with WJ for almost 2 years and this is the first I've heard of this WPPA. Can't see that gaining any steam until TA2 gets rejected.

The website was up and running earlier this week. From what I am hearing It is starting gain traction. I'd rather have ELECTED reps running the show rather than company appointed employees.

WJ200
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WJ200 »

Company appointed? Do you remember an election 18 months ago..?? :rolleyes:

albatross
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by albatross »

Election is a farce. Print off your card and send it in. Lets get some REAL representation.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

There are people trying to understand the WJE Flow agreement who have no idea what you guys are talking about. For those of us who don't work at WJ, could you guys keep it on topic?

JSYK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JSYK »

WJ200 wrote:Company appointed? Do you remember an election 18 months ago..?? :rolleyes:
You skipped an election, Bro. 4 of you were supposed to be up for election almost a year ago.

As for the topic of this thread, if someone is refused their "right" to move up to mainline from Encore, what is their recourse? IF, the WJPA supports them and Company still says NO, I guess they can file a grievance can they? Who would be arbitrating that?
Oh, and what happens if a new CEO just says we are not going to do the flow that way anymore?

I think we all know the answers to these questions...

Elessar_44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Elessar_44 »

Will new Encore FOs / hires be able to be based in YYZ in the new year or will you have to go do some time out of Calgary first?

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

I don't think there's a firm date for YYZ base opening up yet.

Bouncer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bouncer »

Not trying to sound... well I don't know, but this sounds like anybody who's got lots of 705 PIC time on several types or so is really put in a bad spot here. Looks next to impossible to go to mainline direct. I never got a mention for direct entry captain and now seem way too over qualified for a Q400 F/O (not to mention loss of pay for a few years....). So basically the door that I had hoped to go through just shut and opened up 5 years in my past. This is incredibly unfortunate. It's hard to keep positive. Sigh...

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

Bouncer wrote:anybody who's got lots of 705 PIC time on several types or so is really put in a bad spot here. Looks next to impossible to go to mainline direct.
So basically the door that I had hoped to go through just shut and opened up 5 years in my past.
I had a similar thoughts.
I have no inside information on this but my gut would say that the flow won't happen at 100% for a few years. I can't see Mainline poaching that many guys from a fledgling company until the get a good solid base built up. WestJet must also see the glut of guys out there with more industry experience than the Encore guys who will be in that little bubble - too qualified for a Q FO. I would guess that you've still got a couple of years before the door is truly closed (if ever).
All this is just speculation on my part.

LAX
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LAX »

Bouncer wrote:Not trying to sound... well I don't know, but this sounds like anybody who's got lots of 705 PIC time on several types or so is really put in a bad spot here. Looks next to impossible to go to mainline direct. I never got a mention for direct entry captain and now seem way too over qualified for a Q400 F/O (not to mention loss of pay for a few years....). So basically the door that I had hoped to go through just shut and opened up 5 years in my past. This is incredibly unfortunate. It's hard to keep positive. Sigh...
Due to the rapid fleet expansion all the FOs being hired at Encore now are quick upgrades. So as long as you can handle spending 6 - 12 months in the right seat you're opportunity is still there. Also flow though wont start for another 8 months at least and even then will be at only 25% initially. So you can always apply and get hired directly to mainline. That opportunity is going to be around for a few years I'm sure.

gyqapilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gyqapilot »

Any word on recent percentages of flow through? I know jazz/ac is 80%

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi
We had a couple classes with 100% back in the spring and the remainder of the year has been and will continue to be 75%.
Preliminary hiring numbers are in for 2017 - it's going to be busy. Almost 250 between the two (WJ/WJE) subject to change as usual.

Return to “WestJet”