Flight Attendant Announcements

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Blue Yonder
Rank 3
Rank 3

Flight Attendant Announcements

Post by Blue Yonder »

Flew from Las Vegas to Calgary last night. I never knew that WestJet flight attendants talked so much over the PA system.

From the safety directions in a poorly done Scottish accent, to why the crew were wearing fake mustaches and that thankfully she found out who stole her hamburger. It all comes across very unprofessional and hokey.

Can we just keep them to the necessities?

Enough ranting, I'll try and keep my WestJet flights to a minimum.

Blue
---------- ADS -----------

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Flight Attendant Announcements

Post by The Raven »

Here's something I don't understand. What gives someone the right to mock a Scottish accent? If the flight attendant tried to do an East Indian accent, French Canadian accent, or a Native Canadian accent there would be an outcry. I'll bet the flight attendant thought she was being funny. I can guarantee you though, she pissed off the Scottish passengers.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

As a first generation Scottish Canadian, I'm not offended, unless you're talking about sheep, well I even find that funny. Ever heard Robin Williams on Golf, hilarious...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4
The three groups you mentioned have a history of prejudice in Canada and that is why it's considered offensive and typically when someone mocks those accents, it's negative.
Never heard a complaint on behalf of the third largest ethnic group in Canada about predjudice. So are Scotts just not a bunch of cry babies or do they not suffer a prejudice based on their name alone, going with the latter
To the original topic, yes it would be nice to keep the announcements to the bare minimum, especially when you have live tv and every second they use to talk about stolen burgers is missed on the program you were watching. I've personally witnessed on WJ, passenger annoyance to the PA, just for slight modifications to the standard, never mind long drawn out Scottish burgers gone missing.

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

Blue Yonder,

Please take the time and go to westjet.com to post your feedback.

Poorly executed humour is detrimental to our product at WS. Especially at a time when we're trying to attract business travellers. I appreciate your comments but they serve little here on AVCANADA. A well worded comment from the paying public will get counted if it's sent to the company site.

Sorry they blew it - that kind of stuff drives me crazy too. I'll be honest, I think the WS product is sucking and our competitors are doing a better job. I think we need to clean up our act a bit.

Hope Vegas was good to you.

For your feedback:

westjet.com
then click on
"feedback/contact" at the top
A form with a few drop down menus will pop up and a free field to write in your comments.

It will only take a minute.

Be sure to leave a contact or res code.

JJJ

volez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by volez »

Very well put jjj !

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Blue Yonder wrote:Flew from Las Vegas to Calgary last night. I never knew that WestJet flight attendants talked so much over the PA system.

From the safety directions in a poorly done Scottish accent, to why the crew were wearing fake mustaches and that thankfully she found out who stole her hamburger. It all comes across very unprofessional and hokey.

Can we just keep them to the necessities?

Enough ranting, I'll try and keep my WestJet flights to a minimum.

Blue
I heard down my way the WJ in-flight stand- up comedy act isn't getting rave customer reviews either!

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

"That"

If you've travelled on WJ, you'll know what I mean....

Sleeve of Wizard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sleeve of Wizard »

Is this better?

newcomer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by newcomer »

OMG!!!
Total lack of class.
I would be embarrassed if I was in that plane!

YWGGuy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YWGGuy »

That would drive me through the roof.

chief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by chief »

One of our humorous flight attendants was hired directly from Sir Richard Branson himself when he was on one of our flights. Like to see if any of us pilots can say the same.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

What do you guys think of Virgin America's new safety demo?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/fl ... o/3281141/

BKerns
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BKerns »

loopa wrote:What do you guys think of Virgin America's new safety demo?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/fl ... o/3281141/
That would be really hard to watch as a frequent flyer.

MartinB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MartinB »

Sleeve of Wizard wrote:

Is this better?
I couldn't watch more than 30 seconds of that video. I hope I never have to see that with my own eyes!

GRK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK »

Oh wow…seals it for us for sure now! We always sat on the fence when it came to the "ha ha ha watch me…I'm funny" act that these people put on. Not anymore, we are done, finished and over it. The "National Carrier" at least has the ability to leave you alone and do the job professionally. (To those who would say: "yeah wait until the cost brings you back!") It won't. It's all so close cost-wise these days and AC has a better J Class as well. We work and live overseas, and return to Canada en mass twice a year to visit, and have a choice of who we fly on and when, and yes we both know how the airline business works and have plenty of WS and AC experience. If it sounds a little sanctimonious to you, I apologize, but that little bit of WS stupidity was the breaking point, act your age people, you represent a company, this is not the tryouts for amateur night at the local Comedy Shop.

Rem
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rem »

She's a lovely woman with a great heart who means well. Went a tad too far there and has since brought things back. I'm sure our FA's will always add a little extra spice to their job and I personally love them for it. Some like it some don't and that's OK. Some take it too far, that's not OK but they do get reeled back in.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Sorry.......... I travel frequently as well within Canada past number of years and on a very small scale, across the ocean and I consider that antic(video) most unprofessional and way over the top. I would like to think pax briefing and safety(mandated by regulation) is a serious issue and presented as such.I am sure if it(comedy act) was in vogue and subject to glorified reviews in travel periodicals our other carriers would adopt, but they are not as I experienced it.

Understand WJ is heading to Dublin from YYT, so will this mean a thick Irish brogue and an off-key rendition of "Danny Boy" for the comedy act team.

martinez
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by martinez »

ehhhh now, come on guys. You don't have to be such grumps about everything in life. Everyone is different and everyone enjoys/dislikes different things. I don't hate on Air Canada for being so uptight and serious all the time, just because I enjoy joking around and laughing.

There are advantages and disadvantages to almost everything(I think) :? . Just try and focus on what you see as the good stuff a little more than what you see as the bad stuff.

....but yeah she was a bit over the top. :smt040

7thirtyseven
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7thirtyseven »

Always love the people who equate personality and enjoying our brief stay on this mortal side with "unprofessional".
Go back to your British boarding school, immerse yourself in "War and Peace", explain to your friends and neighbors just how good you are.... But dont bother getting a life!!!! No! Dont do it!

rt777
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by rt777 »

Being 21, I am sure I am a lot younger than most of the members in this forum, but I find this unprofessional and immature. WJA is becoming a major airline, you would think some staff would take a safety briefing more seriously, and mocking anyone's accent is not the way to go about this. If an FA or pilot did anything like this on say EK or CX it would be seen as unacceptable.

Joking around and being in a lighter attitude when dealing with passengers occasionally can help moods if done in the right situation I agree, but that video I just watched was embarrassing and reading that is just ridiculous, along with the FO and CPT helping cleaning the cabin before a flight, I find that ridiculous. You don't spend $100,000 to go to school and build countless hours to get a job which involves cleaning peoples garbage. Just my $0.02 however.

Return to “WestJet”