Widebody announcement

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Widebody announcement

Post by True North »

yycflyguy wrote:Pilots should not concern themselves with what non-skilled labour (which can be replaced quickly, easily trained for lower cost) wants. You have a licence in your pocket. Same as the maintenance and dispatchers. THAT is what separates you from non-skilled groups. You think Lawyers concern themselves in compensation with the firm because para-legals will want a similar raise? Same analogy applies to Doctors. Once again, you have a licence in your pocket. Others do not.
Yeah, that's not myopic at all.

Did you actually read what I wrote because you obviously did not comprehend it.

I don't know of any paralegals or nurses that have "me too" clauses in their contracts like other airline employees do so your comparisons are moot.
---------- ADS -----------

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

bmc wrote:I think, more importantly, who ever has the biggest dick, should be the one gaining the most respect in this thread. I think we're close to finding that out.
:prayer: That was AWESOME!

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Don't forget WJ's entry into new markets is not inially about profit. They will low ball fares to fill seats, put smiles on people's faces as the saviour over the big bad incumbents who are fleecing Joe blow public then slowly bring up the fares to actually make money.

I can't wait to see the fares to Europe!

Realitychex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Realitychex »

FICU wrote:Don't forget WJ's entry into new markets is not inially about profit. They will low ball fares to fill seats, put smiles on people's faces as the saviour over the big bad incumbents who are fleecing Joe blow public then slowly bring up the fares to actually make money.

I can't wait to see the fares to Europe!
Wrong. It's all about profit. Always has been. Always will be.

8)

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Realitychex wrote:

Wrong...
Haven't seen a $75 Yellowknife-Edmonton fare since WJ played the good guy saviour role to take market share from the small northern airlines.

What happened?

Realitychex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Realitychex »

FICU wrote:
Realitychex wrote:

Wrong...
Haven't seen a $75 Yellowknife-Edmonton fare since WJ played the good guy saviour role to take market share from the small northern airlines.

What happened?
36 straight quarters of profitability. That's about 9 years in a row according to my math and if memory serves me correctly, you can count the quarters that weren't profitable since 1996 on one hand. One of them was the first full quarter of ops, another was when they massively accelerated the depreciation of the -200 fleet to get rid of them all about 4 years earlier than planned.

If that isn't conclusive evidence WJ isn't vigorously focussed on the bottom line, I don't know what would be. Aside from SWA, you'll look long and hard to find any other airline in North America that can match that track record. I wouldn't waste time canvassing other airlines based in Canada when you do your research.

If WJ can produce that sort of track record and offer introductory advance fares of $75 into a market that had exorbitantly high fares for no particular reason other than because the incumbents could get away with them, what's the issue? The northern airlines have had plenty of time to get their market share back since 2009.

Last time I checked, all airlines operating in YZF prior to WJ's launch are still operating today. I guess a little competition forced them to run a tighter operation. There's nothing wrong with that either.

The cost of traveling south is considerably less expensive than it used to be and it's a pretty safe bet that Yellowknife is the smallest market in North America to be served by 4 airlines, 3 of which operate full sized narrow body jets to the key southern gateway.

I know of at least one southern developer who recently completed about 200 reasonably priced new homes in YZF who would never have contemplated building there, including a habitat for humanity build, were it not for the significantly lower cost of doing business there....namely, cheaper transportation.

I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to have to tell folks in Yellowknife that fares were going to revert to their previous levels of close to $700 one way for anything booked within about a week of departure compared to today where the same fare is rarely over $400 and typically in the low $300 range.

I'd be curious to hear your explanation as to why higher fares to isolated communities would benefit the community as a whole. It's already expensive enough in Yellowknife without airlines further gouging folks up there.

8)

Last edited by Realitychex on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Last time I checked, all airlines operating in YZF prior to WJ's launch are still operating today.
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 54&t=95945

Realitychex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Realitychex »

leftoftrack wrote:
Last time I checked, all airlines operating in YZF prior to WJ's launch are still operating today.
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 54&t=95945
First Air and Canadian North have behaved like shy 9th graders at a high school dance for years now.

They were circling each other long before WJ came to the party.

It must be the longest negotiation leading towards an inevitable outcome in the history of airline mergers.

It's pretty obvious why its taking so long to get a deal done, and it has very little to do with the typical issues that are negotiated in every other merger / takeover scenario.

8)

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Realitychex wrote:Last time I checked, all airlines operating in YZF prior to WJ's launch are still operating today. I guess a little competition forced them to run a tighter operation. There's nothing wrong with that either.

I know of at least one southern developer who recently completed about 200 reasonably priced new homes in YZF who would never have contemplated building there, including a habitat for humanity build, were it not for the significantly lower cost of doing business there....namely, cheaper transportation.
First Air dropped 737s from their Yellowknife base and are struggling with pax loads in the west.

Canadian North still has very good loads but with lower yields.

Economics 101... you need a large volume of customers to offer lower prices. If you don't have many customers you have to keep prices high to be profitable. There is not a large volume of customers to move in the north but people and freight can only be moved by air.

Now, please tell us how Westjet has lowered the cost of building homes in Yellowknife by offering cheap air fares. Playing that saviour card again are you. :roll:

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Realitychex wrote:It must be the longest negotiation leading towards an inevitable outcome in the history of airline mergers.

It's pretty obvious why its taking so long to get a deal done, and it has very little to do with the typical issues that are negotiated in every other merger / takeover scenario.
Ya... you really have no idea what spurred merger talks...

Now about those shiny new wide airplanes...

Realitychex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Realitychex »

FICU wrote:
Realitychex wrote:Last time I checked, all airlines operating in YZF prior to WJ's launch are still operating today. I guess a little competition forced them to run a tighter operation. There's nothing wrong with that either.

First Air dropped 737s from their Yellowknife base and are struggling with pax loads in the west.

Canadian North still has very good loads but with lower yields.

Economics 101... you need a large volume of customers to offer lower prices. If you don't have many customers you have to keep prices high to be profitable. There is not a large volume of customers to move in the north but people and freight can only be moved by air.

Now, please tell us how Westjet has lowered the cost of building homes in Yellowknife by offering cheap air fares. Playing that saviour card again are you. :roll:
Let's just say that I know of one company that would never have gone into Yellowknife and be able to offer new condos, townhomes and villas at the price that was offered if they, (we), had to move our crews around at $700 one way to YEG or points south.

Fact.

8)

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Realitychex wrote:Let's just say that I know of one company that would never have gone into Yellowknife and be able to offer new condos, townhomes and villas at the price that was offered if they, (we), had to move our crews around at $700 one way to YEG or points south.
It sounds like you are saying a southern based builder under cut a northern based company because the crews can be moved cheaply from the south.

Why aren't northern workers being hired to build in YZF as opposed to southerners?

Realitychex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Realitychex »

FICU wrote:
Realitychex wrote:Let's just say that I know of one company that would never have gone into Yellowknife and be able to offer new condos, townhomes and villas at the price that was offered if they, (we), had to move our crews around at $700 one way to YEG or points south.
It sounds like you are saying a southern based builder under cut a northern based company because the crews can be moved cheaply from the south.

Why aren't northern workers being hired to build in YZF as opposed to southerners?

Simple answer. Because crews weren't available in the required timeframe.

Local business did very, very well from the activity generated from the construction of over 200 doors. All those people all had to eat, sleep and play somewhere.

For the record, those nasty southerners donated a week of their time and materials to frame YZF's first Habitat for Humanity duplex last Aug. Two wonderful families moved into the property late last year.

If you've spent anytime in YZF recently, you'd know the place isn't suffering from a lack of economic activity.....

8)

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Realitychex wrote: Simple answer. Because crews weren't available in the required timeframe.
An answer straight out of the TFW handbook. :wink:

airboy1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airboy1 »

Anyone know if they will be making this widebody operation with a seperate OC, like Encore? Seems like an exciting time to join that operation if so.

cjet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cjet »

Westjet mainline will be operating the B767 using current WJ pilots. The pilots flying the 767 will have a seperate payscale that has already been agreed to and voted on. If you want to see the scale someone has posted it to

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airl ... an/westjet

cheers

cjet

No Quarter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by No Quarter »

Very very outdated info.

noalternative
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by noalternative »

Very outdated indeed. Or are you telling me the WB pilots will be earning the same as the "mainline" folks? Is this an encore to Encore?

Just trolling!!

cjet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cjet »

That scale is current B767 hourly rate.

cjet

No Quarter
Rank 1