WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

LAX
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Post by LAX »

By the sounds of things there will likely be no more DECs hired. From here on in only FO positions.
---------- ADS -----------

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

Is the "guaranteed minimum" rolling back to 70 hours January 01, 2015?

SundayDriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SundayDriver »

flyer 1492 wrote:Is the "guaranteed minimum" rolling back to 70 hours January 01, 2015?
No. The 80 hour minimum has been extended until mid 2015 for now

Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Benwa »

Anyone knows when the ground schools start in 2015 at Mainline? How many are planned this year?

Happy New Year!

Ben

--In his wrapup remarks, the FAA chief said, "If you think the safety bar is set too high, then your
standards are set too low."
KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

Last I heard the Encore plan was to have one class per month, usually 10 per class. Subject to change of course.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Whats the rate of delivery of the Q's? Have they exercised the remainder of the options?

URC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by URC »

Whats the rate of delivery of the Q's? Have they exercised the remainder of the options?
16 now. 9 more coming in 2015. 5 more in 2016. Total 30 by end of 2016. Plus 15 options (between 2015 to 2018), not currently excercised.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Will Encore expand in to the states? To give American operators a run for their money on popular routes like YYC-SEA, YYC-MSP, YYC-ORD, YVR-SEA, YVR-PDX... etc?

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

I heard 8 more before the end of spring.

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

An interesting little something... The Encore job posting for 2015 no longer mentions the ability to grow your career to westjet.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi there,
The ability to flow is still there. The job description was recently re-written.

We just had two classes start here this past Monday on the 12th. One for Encore and one for WJ.
Encore is running monthly courses and our next westjet course isn't until May (50%flow)

The bulk of the Westjet courses aren't until mid to late summer as the 767 comes online. That's the plan for now :) subject to change as usual in this industry.

Again, our goal is 100% flow from Encore to WestJet.

I'm hoping we can achieve at least 50% flow for the remaining courses - Encore gets 8 of their 10 tails in the first half of 2015 so this might be accomplished without too much distress to encore (their big growth in the first half of the year and Westjets in the second half of the year)

There is some interesting growth coming imho.

Cheers!
Dave

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

What kind of experience is Encore currently hiring?

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

DaveP wrote:Hi there,
The ability to flow is still there. The job description was recently re-written.

We just had two classes start here this past Monday on the 12th. One for Encore and one for WJ.
Encore is running monthly courses and our next westjet course isn't until May (50%flow)

The bulk of the Westjet courses aren't until mid to late summer as the 767 comes online. That's the plan for now :) subject to change as usual in this industry.

Again, our goal is 100% flow from Encore to WestJet.

I'm hoping we can achieve at least 50% flow for the remaining courses - Encore gets 8 of their 10 tails in the first half of 2015 so this might be accomplished without too much distress to encore (their big growth in the first half of the year and Westjets in the second half of the year)

There is some interesting growth coming imho.

Cheers!
Dave
Thanks for the info Dave! Glad to see the folks at Encore are seeing progression. What does this mean for the guys in the Mainline hiring pool? Will they all get used up before Encore flow goes to 100% Do the poolies still expire after 1 year? How many mainline courses are planned in 2015? Sorry if all this has been asked before.

All the best!

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi Krimson,
The experience levels seem to be steady for Encore so far. The average times for those hired in 2014 at both airlines was 3960TT for FO's and the direct entry positions for CA were 6200TT.(10 classes for WJ and 12 classes for WJE in 2014)

It's nice to see a 2014 up-tick in new ATPL licenses issued as well. Canada had 667 new ATPL licenses issues last year. Which is a good sign that a few more are getting their licenses....for a few years its been constant downward. Canada will need everyone!

As for the pool there Drop, I suspect we won't build the WJ pool very deep. the goal would be to utilize everyone in it.

Thanks,
Dave

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

Thanks Dave!

Justjohn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Justjohn »

It's nice to see a 2014 up-tick in new ATPL licenses issued as well. Canada had 667 new ATPL licenses issues last year. Which is a good sign that a few more are getting their licenses....for a few years its been constant downward. Canada will need everyone!

One big factor, I think, is the change in experience requirements for the ATPL. Specifically, the 2 for 1 credit becoming 1 for 1.

Flying is better than walking. Walking is better than running. Running is better than crawling. All of these however, are better than extraction by a Med-Evac, even if this is technically a form of flying.
dukepoint
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dukepoint »

DaveP wrote:Hi Krimson,
The experience levels seem to be steady for Encore so far. The average times for those hired in 2014 at both airlines was 3960TT for FO's and the direct entry positions for CA were 6200TT.(10 classes for WJ and 12 classes for WJE in 2014)

As for the pool there Drop, I suspect we won't build the WJ pool very deep. the goal would be to utilize everyone in it.

Thanks,
Dave

Pretty curious where these 6000+ hour Skipps and 4000+- hour FO's are comming from that would rather fly a Dash for "not much" than qualify/wait for a 737 or other position at a carrier with more advancement potential....????? I feel like I'm missing something rather significant here. I say that cuz WJ is still hiring off the street for 73 positions.....how are they sorting candidates?? What's wrong with these 6000+ hour guys? Anyone clue me in???

DP.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi DP,
They come from all over (for both airlines) - I'm not going to go back and grab the specifics from their resumes however will add that we only plan on hiring 50ish for the 737 in 2015 (then subtract whatever comes from flow).
Don't forget that maybe they(the guys and gals that did go to WJE) don't want to apply or wait for WJ direct. Everyone has a different taste for what they like and what they do. I know lots of people that like being instructors, float pilots or like flying the dash at CMA. Whatever floats your boat.

Or, maybe they view it as - wait another 6 months and try to grab one of those few positions at WJ or try and get on with Encore -now- and not have another 80 or so pilots ahead of me on the seniority list.

Again, who knows the reasons they apply.

Cheers

Last edited by DaveP on Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

dukepoint wrote:Pretty curious where these 6000+ hour Skipps and 4000+- hour FO's are comming from that would rather fly a Dash for "not much" than qualify/wait for a 737 or other position at a carrier with more advancement potential....????? I feel like I'm missing something rather significant here. I say that cuz WJ is still hiring off the street for 73 positions.....how are they sorting candidates?? What's wrong with these 6000+ hour guys? Anyone clue me in???

DP.
I think you missed this point:
The average times for those hired in 2014 at both airlines was 3960TT for FO's and the direct entry positions for CA were 6200TT.(10 classes for WJ and 12 classes for WJE in 2014)
Those aren't the averages for Encore, those are for all new hire pilots at the WestJet family.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

In addition to the above, the captain TT would be accurate for WJE as we (WJ) didn't hire any direct entry skips.
Cheers

Return to “WestJet”