WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Post by loopa »

rdane042 wrote: how long it would normally take for candidates in the pool (Encore) to get a call for the ground school?
My 2 cents...

I honestly believe it varies. Some people have spent a week in the pool, some people not even a day. Other's are still waiting. It is also my understanding that you don't get selected based on the date of going into the pool. They review everyone in the pool for each grsc, and will pick the candidates that they feel are best suitable for the class being put together. I believe there was a post explaining why people are in the pool for various times. Interview scores, total experience, etc...

If I could venture to guess, they will have classes that vary from Experienced, to Not as experienced to perhaps a diverse group of both experienced and not experienced. I would imagine the demand at Encore is what determined who gets called from the pool. If they imagine they need you to upgrade in 6 months, maybe a more experienced class would be put together etc.
---------- ADS -----------

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi rdane and what'sitdoing,

The way I see it playing out in the next year for us is: Westjet will hire a few more direct entry guys but not many.
If I had a crystal ball - I would expect to see the bulk of Westjet growth only in the first half of 2016 due to the 67 fleet coming online.
By then WJ Encore will likely be taking the flexed options. Depending on those aircraft delivery (spacing) dates - that will determine the flow rates.
The other wild cards are -1) what's the economy going to do?2) the new rules pertaining to rest and duty - that will likely induce hiring 3) retirements and 4) potential widebody expansion

I understand it's not the best news for guys holding out for a direct entry spot. It's going to be competitive.

As for the time in the pool - essentially after you are admitted to the pool and a class has to be selected (usually 30 days out) - myself or the cp from encore will go through the interview packages.
We try and select a diverse class (regardless of when you interviewed) review scoring and references etc.
In Encore's case we pick again diversity, upgrade potential and balance less experience with more experience.
So basically it's all over the map on how long someone waits. We don't like anyone waiting too long though. We understand it's tough sitting in there and we try to respect that.
I should have mentioned too, that if I see that someone lives out east for example, we try and match the base whenever possible. I'm just trying to not disrupt their lives as much as I can.
Loop is pretty accurate in his assumptions
Dave

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

DaveP wrote:Hi rdane and what'sitdoing,

The way I see it playing out in the next year for us is: Westjet will hire a few more direct entry guys but not many.
If I had a crystal ball - I would expect to see the bulk of Westjet growth only in the first half of 2016 due to the 67 fleet coming online.
By then WJ Encore will likely be taking the flexed options. Depending on those aircraft delivery (spacing) dates - that will determine the flow rates.
The other wild cards are -1) what's the economy going to do?2) the new rules pertaining to rest and duty - that will likely induce hiring 3) retirements and 4) potential widebody expansion

I understand it's not the best news for guys holding out for a direct entry spot. It's going to be competitive.

As for the time in the pool - essentially after you are admitted to the pool and a class has to be selected (usually 30 days out) - myself or the cp from encore will go through the interview packages.
We try and select a diverse class (regardless of when you interviewed) review scoring and references etc.
In Encore's case we pick again diversity, upgrade potential and balance less experience with more experience.
So basically it's all over the map on how long someone waits. We don't like anyone waiting too long though. We understand it's tough sitting in there and we try to respect that.
I should have mentioned too, that if I see that someone lives out east for example, we try and match the base whenever possible. I'm just trying to not disrupt their lives as much as I can.
Loop is pretty accurate in his assumptions
Dave
Wow, a company that takes into account that pilots are HUMANS and have LIVES. Good on you DaveP and WJ!

rdane042
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rdane042 »

Dave, thank you very much for your reply.
I am far more excited, than ever, to join a company with such culture that values and cares for its prospective employees :)

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

rdane042 wrote:Dave, thank you very much for your reply.
I am far more excited, than ever, to join a company with such culture that values and cares for its prospective employees :)
It truly is a breath of fresh air isn't it? I share your excitement :D

And it's a statement like the above that leads me to believe the WJ management will continue improving Encore as it matures. It's the only natural direction for a corporate culture like them.

Best of luck and I hope you get the call soon 8)

rdane042
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rdane042 »

Thank you very much Loopa - Really appreciate it :)

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

:D

condor1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by condor1 »

I totally agree with loopa & rdane042.
Thank you Dave for all the info. We all appreciate it.
Hope to be interviewed soon and good luck to all of you!

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Condor1, biggest piece of advice for your interview - just be yourself. Seriously the way they ask questions is very very very very (x 1000000) smart. If you aren't yourself it will shine within a matter of a few minutes. Answer questions the way you think it should be answered, because that's what they are looking for in my opinion. Also try not being too nervous. Remember, they need to trust you operating a 65000lb aircraft up there. If you're nervous it can impede your display of confidence which is never good.

Most importantly, have fun with it. There will be hard questions. If you come out of there saying "I aced it" something probably went seriously wrong. If you come out of there with a big question mark hanging over your head, chances are you did well :lol: I've heard this many times and can definitely relate to the feeling.

Best of luck dude/girl! 8)

condor1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by condor1 »

loopa wrote:Condor1, biggest piece of advice for your interview - just be yourself. Seriously the way they ask questions is very very very very (x 1000000) smart. If you aren't yourself it will shine within a matter of a few minutes. Answer questions the way you think it should be answered, because that's what they are looking for in my opinion. Also try not being too nervous. Remember, they need to trust you operating a 65000lb aircraft up there. If you're nervous it can impede your display of confidence which is never good.

Most importantly, have fun with it. There will be hard questions. If you come out of there saying "I aced it" something probably went seriously wrong. If you come out of there with a big question mark hanging over your head, chances are you did well :lol: I've heard this many times and can definitely relate to the feeling.

Best of luck dude/girl! 8)
Thanks loopa!!

Will do!!

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

:D

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

DaveP wrote:
Hi BE,
My next class in May will have 50% flow. In fact there are strong rumblings of a second class being added in May. If so there is a good chance 50 will be in that one too.
I’ve mentioned this before it’s really tough to pull guys during a large growth spurt at Encore - but we are managing to increase it. When WJ Encore stabilizes with growth it should be really easy to pull 100% flow.

Take care,
Dave
Dave

Thanks for this. We are hearing Encore management say that flow is at 25% and after May, it will go back to 25%. Unfortunately, that will make 50% the exception, not the rule.

Hopefully, we are able to sustain a higher flow. There are only seven deliveries this year and a course per month so that should hopefully keep us ahead on the hiring front.

flaps1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flaps1 »

Hi guys, can anyone comment on how long it is taking these days to be notified of the results of your interview and whether you are accepted into the pool at Encore?

Thanks

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

I was told in my interview to call them if I didn't hear within 14 days. I heard on day 13, with 5 minutes left to the week. From what I hear, the pfos come much faster so the wait may be a good sign.

flaps1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flaps1 »

Thanks! I was told 3-4 weeks. I've heard it can take even longer these days with all the interviews going on.

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

Even Encore has a hiring pool now?? So you don't start working if you're hired, you just go into a waiting list?

:smt101

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

Johnny#5 wrote:Even Encore has a hiring pool now?? So you don't start working if you're hired, you just go into a waiting list?

:smt101
Encore has had a pool for quite some time now. Being put in the pool is not being hired, nor is it a guarantee of being hired. They make this quite clear in the interview and when put in the pool. There is no seniority in the pool either, they pick a groundschool from the pool based on a mix of different types of candidates.

This being said, I think most people's time in the pool is pretty short. Mine was about a week, some have had days.

rdane042
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rdane042 »

My friend has been in the pool for approx. 2 months now

tr12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tr12 »

I know a guy who expired out of the pool after being in it for a year. Whereas i got a call within a week of being in the pool...

Mooseontheloose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mooseontheloose »

Last edited by Mooseontheloose on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “WestJet”