WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Post by atphat »

Loopa will refuse because he knows better. :roll:
Be en garde for the 14 paragraph response...
---------- ADS -----------

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

atphat, I'm sorry to see that you draw on my opinions/sharing of info as some form of personality trait of a know it all. But nevertheless respect what you have to say and will consider changing a few things about my writing style on here to enhance your experience on a public forum. On a side note, if you're interested to confirm (or discern) your opinion of me on a public forum, dinner's on me if you're in YYC. Shoot me a pm. The least I could do is somehow undo offending you - assuming that's why you called me a know it all and something else on a different thread. Coming to think of it, biatch is invited too. :smt023
atphat wrote: Be en garde for the 14 paragraph response...
I wouldn't want to entertain you too much now would I? :lol:

Have a good day guys.

cloudgate
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cloudgate »

This is for those of you on this forum checking for updates on the next ground school and looking for others' timelines (as I have been.)

January - Applied
Late February - Interview
Mid March - In the pool
April 29 - Offered June 1st ground school

A friend interviewed well after me, got the call for the pool at the same time but got in the May ground school. . . not sure what the method is, haven't tried too hard to figure it out.

Good luck to those waiting!

Mooseontheloose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mooseontheloose »

Last edited by Mooseontheloose on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
cloudgate
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cloudgate »

3500 TT
1500 PIC
1000 MPIC

Friend has similar time. I got YYZ but don't know of anyone else in the June ground school.

auroraair
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by auroraair »

Just wondering how long one can expect to be in the hiring pool? Ive been in the pool for 2 month now.

When are the next ground schools on the Q400? Thanks

Last edited by auroraair on Wed May 27, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
CYCG
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CYCG »

Ive heard August next class that hasnt been filled.

Apparently over 40-60 in the pool. And growing.

Who knows on YYC.

All that is rumour ish with some decent sources.

2600TT
1400 MPIC
Dash classic time
Applied december, called Jan, interview March, pool March.

Last edited by CYCG on Tue May 26, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi Guys,
The next set of courses for WJE are as follows:
June 01st (full - class of 10 tt average of 3300hrs)
August 17th YYC
September 14th YYC
October 5th YYC
November 2nd YYC

The Aug 17th course won't be called until approximatey 30 days out.

As for WJ we have three courses left as mentioned in earlier threads (Aug class of 8/Oct - 2 classes of 8 )All have 50% flow from WJE. The TT class averages for WS are still north of 5000 hours and WJE ytd class averages are 3900hrs.

Respective pool sizes are 21 for WestJet and 61 for WestJet Encore with 51 pilots in the cue for interviewing.

Take care,
Dave

Last edited by DaveP on Tue May 26, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mach .28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mach .28 »

DaveP wrote:Hi Guys,
The next set of courses for WJE are as follows:
June 01st (full - class of 10 tt average of 3300hrs)
August 17th YYC
September 14th YYC
October 5th YYC
November 2nd YYC

The Aug 17th course won't be called until approximatey 30 days out.

As for WJ we have three courses left as mentioned in earlier threads (Aug class of 8/Oct - 2 classes of (happy face) All have 50% flow from WJE. The TT class averages for WS are still north of 5000 hours and WJE ytd class averages are 3900hrs.

Respective pool sizes are 21 for WestJet and 61 for WestJet Encore with 51 pilots in the cue for interviewing.

Take care,
Dave

Hi Dave,

As always Thanks for keeping everyone updated with the pool information. Just for some clarification, does the WS pool include the flow through pilots or is that just the pilots off the street? Are you expecting to use every one from the pool by October?

Cheers

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi there
As it stands now - I'll be utilizing 12 from the current pool.
Cheers!

flaps1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flaps1 »

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the info. For a while all the new hires were going to YYZ. Are the future courses being planned for YYC because of expansion or because existing YYC based pilots are migrating back out east?

ifly1990
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ifly1990 »

Hello,

Question for those that have interviewed for encore. Does answering the situational/crm questions correctly completely make or break your chances of getting hired or do internal references come into play somewhat. Say you have a interview that doesn't go as smooth as you'd like could you still have a chance with good references? Any idea how the interviews are scored? Hoping I get a chance to interview!

Kindest regards.

watermeth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by watermeth »

I can answer the internal reference part of your question.
Before interviewing HR told me it was not a problem at all if I didn't have any internal reference.
When I sat at the interview table the HR lady was really concerned I had no internal reference.
Internal ref will weight in the balance either way.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Hey,

It would be my guess that they choose who to hire based on the best overall fit. You may answer great about CRM, but score poorly on fitting in with WJ's culture. Or maybe you will answer poorly about CRM, but have an overall good understanding of the culture. I would think CRM is something that good training captain's can iron out, but a piss poor attitude is something one cannot. So maybe your CRM question didn't go so well, but you have a good attitude and and end up getting hired anyway.

If you have a great attitude, almost all other "issues" with your flight ops skills are fixable with a mature training program designed to put out leaders. If I could venture to guess, WJ would much rather have a guy that has a good attitude about things, rather than skilled and problematic. If they can get both good attitude and skills, then it's a bonus.

Best of luck! I hope you do great on your interview man! 8)

metalpedal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by metalpedal »

Good luck to everyone for the August GS! I'm sure calls will start going out soon!

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Fingers crossed! 8-10 out of 70 some odd of us will be very happy this week or next.

NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NickyNick »

What's the hiring minimums now? The 1500 hrs Total Time on website should be updated, 3900 hrs Total Time with 2500 PIC BE20 doesn't get a call.

manyratings
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by manyratings »

You got that right Loopa. Ive been in the mainline hiring pool for 9 months now and am sure hoping Aug is the call i get. Otherwise my time is getting shorter and shorter. I guess October classes may be my last shot. Taking 4 or 5 out of the 21 in the mainline pool means the odds are not great. Here is to hoping :D

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

manyratings wrote:You got that right Loopa. Ive been in the mainline hiring pool for 9 months now and am sure hoping Aug is the call i get. Otherwise my time is getting shorter and shorter. I guess October classes may be my last shot. Taking 4 or 5 out of the 21 in the mainline pool means the odds are not great. Here is to hoping :D
Don't sweat it too much. DaveP said their goal was to use up everyone in the mainline pool and that was before the additional courses were planned. You'll be at mainline in no time I'm sure.

Good luck to all!

Prop-to-Jet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Prop-to-Jet »

Btw, there is currently 60 pilots in the pool for Encore. 10 Ground school per month, you do the math, but they don't necessarily pick the people in order that they made it. They try to mix people from different backgrounds for each courses, so it doesn't mean you'll start in 6 months if you get picked now, it may be a lot earlier, or later.

Return to “WestJet”