WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Justanotherpilot2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Post by Justanotherpilot2 »

So a good friend had an interview at Encore recently..... Im wondering if anyone else has been grilled about Unions in the interview. They asked about what he thinks of unions and if he was a part of a union at his current employer, etc. Also asked a lot of overly personal questions. Sounds very unprofessional.
---------- ADS -----------

GARRETT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GARRETT »

Justanotherpilot2 wrote:So a good friend had an interview at Encore recently..... Im wondering if anyone else has been grilled about Unions in the interview. They asked about what he thinks of unions and if he was a part of a union at his current employer, etc. Also asked a lot of overly personal questions. Sounds very unprofessional.
If it's true, that's total BS. I'm pretty sure they can't ask stuff like that in an interview. Way to stay classy WJ!!!

No Quarter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by No Quarter »

Well they're worried about unions. WJ spent $700 grand fighting against it and now wants the pilots to pay for it through increased PACT dues.....Priceless :rolleyes:

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi There
As for the WJ ots question - yes we are continuing to do a handfull of interviews.
We are only looking at 2 WJ classes in the first quarter and expecting 50% flow from WJE.

I thought we might open the posting again, but for the amount of hiring in Q1 - there really isn't a need to just yet. We will know more shortly as the summer schedule for 2016 is just being finalized.

As for the union question in an interview - we don't ask that question. What value would an answer have in that question anyway? In simplest terms, that would be considered a discriminating question.

Regarding the personal questions - care to be more specific please?

For more background, the current pilot specific HR people that are running the interviews have years of experience and education including qualifications such as their CHRP - do you really believe they would stray from their scrips and go down the road of discrimination?

Quarter - I have no clue on what the costs are. I couldn't even guess - where did you get that number?
I read the other day where the new dues were going to and for what (from the communication sent out by the wjpa)
Sorry, but I didn't see a specific quote there that you eluded to. (Paying for past legal bills) Where is that documented please? - or is that simply your opinion/assumption? Ahhh - (edit here) - just read the string on westnet. I saw the dollar quote where you got it from.

Thanks and Take care
Dave

Last edited by DaveP on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

GARRETT wrote:
Justanotherpilot2 wrote:So a good friend had an interview at Encore recently..... Im wondering if anyone else has been grilled about Unions in the interview. They asked about what he thinks of unions and if he was a part of a union at his current employer, etc. Also asked a lot of overly personal questions. Sounds very unprofessional.
If it's true, that's total BS. I'm pretty sure they can't ask stuff like that in an interview. Way to stay classy WJ!!!
Ah yes, because it's on AvCanada obviously it must be true. :smt023

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Do Westjet pilots pay "dues" for the company to manage their contracts via PACT/WJPA?

DH772
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DH772 »

Hi There
As for the WJ ots question - yes we are continuing to do a handfull of interviews.
We are only looking at 2 WJ classes in the first quarter and expecting 50% flow from WJE.

I thought we might open the posting again, but for the amount of hiring in Q1 - there really isn't a need to just yet. We will know more shortly as the summer schedule for 2016 is just being finalized.

As for the union question in an interview - we don't ask that question. What value would an answer have in that question anyway? In simplest terms, that would be considered a discriminating question.

Regarding the personal questions - care to be more specific please?

For more background, the current pilot specific HR people that are running the interviews have years of experience and education including qualifications such as their CHRP - do you really believe they would stray from their scrips and go down the road of discrimination?

Quarter - I have no clue on what the costs are. I couldn't even guess - where did you get that number?
I read the other day where the new dues were going to and for what (from the communication sent out by the wjpa)
Sorry, but I didn't see a specific quote there that you eluded to. (Paying for past legal bills) Where is that documented please? - or is that simply your opinion/assumption? Ahhh - (edit here) - just read the string on westnet. I saw the dollar quote where you got it from.

Thanks and Take care
Dave

Honestly DaveP??? I have heard from 2 sources myself that the union question is being asked!

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi DH,
It doesn't sound right, but I'll go dig into it next week with the 2 HR recruiters.
Cheers

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

DaveP wrote:Hi DH,
It doesn't sound right, but I'll go dig into it next week with the 2 HR recruiters.
Cheers
Thank you for caring enough to quash the rumors out there Dave.
:smt023

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Howdy guys,
I looked into the concerns today along with the recruiting team and pilot hiring coordinator. Indeed we narrowed it all down to a couple recent interviews.
As a result, without going into details around the two discussions, we are all satisfied with the results/review and integrity of the interview that justanotherpilot2 and another colleague did. I'll leave it brief like that, but again, we do not have that specific type of probing in our interview script.
I hope that helps (some). Solid take-away for the pilot hiring team too.
Take care and thanks for bringing the concern forward!
Dave

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

DaveP wrote:Howdy guys,
I looked into the concerns today along with the recruiting team and pilot hiring coordinator. Indeed we narrowed it all down to a couple recent interviews.
As a result, without going into details around the two discussions, we are all satisfied with the results/review and integrity of the interview that justanotherpilot2 and another colleague did. I'll leave it brief like that, but again, we do not have that specific type of probing in our interview script.
I hope that helps (some). Solid take-away for the pilot hiring team too.
Take care and thanks for bringing the concern forward!
Dave
Is that management speak for we asked where they stood on unions?

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi Left,
As I said in my pm - it’s a tough question to answer. Anything is tough to answer when it concerns interviews because you can’t throw in context and detail etc.
I’m just trying my best to be transparent.
Take care,
Dave

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Thanks for the PM.

Justanotherpilot2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Justanotherpilot2 »

I dont have the hours to apply yet. But I hope what I hear from my friend isnt true, or at least the issue was resolved internally... Because I have always wanted to work at WJ.

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

Based on your previous comment, don't you think you would be better off targeting AC?

mattjvancouver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mattjvancouver »

Hey guys,
I understand there is no G/S in December, but was there two in November? Also from my friends at Encore they say a ground school a month starting January? Also what are guys waiting on average to get a groundschool at Encore? I had my interview In may and have been patiently waiting...!

Mooseontheloose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mooseontheloose »

Last edited by Mooseontheloose on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
duramaxguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by duramaxguy »

I've heard a groundschool a month in the new year and pretty much entirely yyz based. Sounds like most of the new tail deliveries in the new year are all going to yyz

watermeth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by watermeth »

this concerns Encore I suppose ?
any info as to when a mainline posting will open ?
thx !

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hello there,
I believe WJE will be calling with offers for its 1st class in Feb today and tomorrow.

WJ's first class in January was offered earlier this week with the second class in January being offered next week - towards the end.

As for a WJ posting, we still don't see a reason to open the posting in the near future.(maybe not in 2016 at all) With flow increasing in the new agreement to 50% minimum (should it be voted in with the new pilot agreement in hand at WJE) we have enough recently interviewed pilots to supply the 2016 direct entry to WJ demand - as our next course isn't scheduled until April. Subject to change as usual!

Cheers

Return to “WestJet”