WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JetAjunkie
Rank 0
Rank 0

WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Post by JetAjunkie »

Quick questions for those in the know:

How long do candidates stay in the pool for each respective airline?

How often do people drop out of pool due to time expiring? Are they mostly taken on?

Thanks!

JetAjunkie
---------- ADS -----------

Gate Go
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Post by Gate Go »

1000 views and not one answer? Throw a dog a bone! :wink:

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

JetAjunkie wrote: How long do candidates stay in the pool for each respective airline?
I can answer one of your questions, 12 months, then you must reapply.

ihavecontrol
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ihavecontrol »

At mainline you are normally kept in the pool for one year, at which point you have to reinterview. Most get picked up, as long as there are groundschools and you stay out of trouble. This is what I've been told anyway, and I'm pretty sure it would be similar at Encore. Hope that helps.

jazzyboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jazzyboy »

I interviewed in April, put in the pool in May, and got a GS in October. This was all 3 years ago. I'm not too sure what the pace of it all is right now, but I'm guessing with hiring going full tilt for the next year that it will be a short swim.

chinglish
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chinglish »

I spent one week in the pool.

lowlevel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowlevel »

Ching, how long ago was that?

chinglish
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chinglish »

During the spring.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

I didn't think there was a pool for Encore. If you have two feet and a heartbeat and you want to fly a Q, you're in. This may have changed a little since WJ announced the wide body deal. I suspect there are a few people out there attracted by the shiney new jets (that belong to WJ and not Encore).

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

I think things have slowed a little. I've heard they want 705 time for quicker upgrades, probably a bit trickier finding people with that experience who want to work for 38$ an hr.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

True. With the matrix in place, direct entry captains require a minimum of 500 hours of 705 time. Anyone coming in with only 704/703 time will require a combo of total time and hours on the Q.
I heard there was a bump in hiring after the announcement of the wide body aircraft at WS. I don't know if that is being sustained for the upcoming fall ground schools.
Lately, there are some substantial rumours of us going back to a 70 hour guarantee at the end of the year. That would represent a 13% decrease in pay for everyone involved. I've heard this from several of the crews I've worked with over the last month.
Oh, and flow is staying at 25% for the foreseeable future.
I guess we'll catch up on recruiting next year when the aircraft deliveries slow down.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi Guys
I'll take a stab at a quick update. First, it's mostly opposite of what they said above.
Recruiting for Wj encore has been considerably easier. We are finally getting ahead of the curve and experience is getting up around 3-5k hours now. As for the length of time in the pool - who knows. It could be a variety of reasons why someone is in for a while. Anything from maybe giving them a little more time say as a captain or we have a lot of candidates in there or maybe just had a weaker interview.
I have personally never heard of the lowered min guarantee to 70 but even if it does go back it's a min guarantee with a much more mature route structure now. Which means you will likely never be blocked under it to trigger that pay. As for expansion - it will likely progress to the East.
Projections for next years encore hiring is north of 100 and WestJet I suspect will be slightly lower. The marketing hours are still being finalized.
WestJet did add an extra ground school in November that wasn't planned.(8)
The manager of training at Encore is planning on a 50percent flow as well.
I hope that helps! (And takes care of a few rumours)

Take care,

Dave

Sorry for all the edits. Bad grammar, spelling and added info!

Last edited by DaveP on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
flea
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flea »

Hi Dave,

Just curious how strict the 500 mpic minimum is when looking at potential candidates for Encore / Wj. Is it really a deal breaker?

Cheers!

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi
It's still required in the matrix. We use the 500 as a base for simply building your decision making skills.
Cheers

racer-pilot-rob
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by racer-pilot-rob »

I have been waiting for months just for a call back for WestJet Encore. I have had friends with less experience than myself already online there. Not sure what it takes to actually get noticed. Must be a huge pool of candidates. I even asked if there was a problem with my application, and they had a very hard time just to find my application... Is this normal??

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

When you say a "call back" are you referring to an interview you have had previously but never received a yes or a no? Or are you waiting for a call for an interview?

racer-pilot-rob
Rank 1
Rank 1

I think I would settle for any acknolodgement its even been looked at. I have not had any contact from them and I am sure there are interviews happening by what has been said on here. It could be a matter of new applicants piling up on top of mine and they just have not seen it yet, but would like to log in and see something other than "under review" that has been there from day one. It could even be applying through pcc canada does not work, or overwelmed with applicants, who knows. Just wish mine would get noticed....
so in short, no interview, no replies, no call backs of any sort to date....

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

racer-pilot-rob wrote:I think I would settle for any acknolodgement its even been looked at. I have not had any contact from them and I am sure there are interviews happening by what has been said on here. It could be a matter of new applicants piling up on top of mine and they just have not seen it yet, but would like to log in and see something other than "under review" that has been there from day one. It could even be applying through pcc canada does not work, or overwelmed with applicants, who knows. Just wish mine would get noticed....
so in short, no interview, no replies, no call backs of any sort to date....
Hey I'm in the same boat. What's your experience?

racer-pilot-rob
Rank 1
Rank 1

Over 7000 hours, over half turbine and nearly all PIC.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Just speculating, but perhaps they feel you would not accept a F/O spot as I'm pretty sure there are no more direct entry captain spots.
Have you thought about reapplying?

Return to “WestJet”