WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Maxpwr
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Post by Maxpwr »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Maxpwr on Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

How long after your application at Encore before you receive an offer for an interview if they are interested in you? I applied about 6 weeks ago and exceed their requirements. Just wondering if I should forget it and pursue other options.

arctic_slim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by arctic_slim »

it took me about 2 weeks before I got an e-mail for an interview. Check your spam folder carefully too just in case the e-mail got flagged.

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

Might it be safe to say that the pool is getting rather shallow since the posting of the Flightpath Program? Anyone applied/got any feedback on it as yet?

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi
The resumes are steady with WJE - the purpose of the flight path program is to interview and place you in a pool until you get your atpl. We are simply trying to get ahead of the curve with all the 2017 hiring that is coming.
Typically I've been pulling resumes with over 1000hrs and flying in some kind of twin turbine from that posting. We haven't called anyone for interviews yet (from that posting) but it should be soon.

Cheers

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

To DaveP,

I fly at AC, and for a long long time. Just a word about the hiring program. Keep Flt Ops in charge of the hiring and HR as far away as possible. Non pilots are a fiasco when deciding whom to hire as pilots. We use to get about 1 dud out of every 400 hired when pilots did the hiring. With HR having a big, big say....the results are far worse than they use to be.

Great to see someone in your Management come out and let the young pilots know what is actually going on with future hiring. The one certainty at AC is that every Monday morning the hiring rules will change. Since the mid 90's the shifts in how to get to AC changes often and in the blink of an eye.

Regards

OPS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by OPS »

pigboat, very valid and I agree with you! However WS just as AC hands are tied to HR's hiring decisions. There's also the case of supply and demand. In lean times any airline has their pick of candidates. Now the ball being in the pilots court, and such great need on a grand scale, you will note of course a higher volume of "duds". The influence of hiring of pilots will need to be negotiated with the unions/associations and companies. A message to your ACPA rep of you displeasure and thoughts will hopefully get the ball rolling. Again, the ball is in the pilots courts.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Thanks for the response. Does the Encore F/O interview process include a simulator test or only written tests and interview?

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

DaveP wrote:Hi
The resumes are steady with WJE - the purpose of the flight path program is to interview and place you in a pool until you get your atpl. We are simply trying to get ahead of the curve with all the 2017 hiring that is coming.
Typically I've been pulling resumes with over 1000hrs and flying in some kind of twin turbine from that posting. We haven't called anyone for interviews yet (from that posting) but it should be soon.

Cheers
Is there anyway to update an application once submitted for the sake of TT updates etc?

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Jimmy2 wrote:Thanks for the response. Does the Encore F/O interview process include a simulator test or only written tests and interview?

No SIM. Iirc, Porter and Sky also both don't have SIMS.

Considering many 704s out there have them for flying a 1900, I'm amazed it's not more commonplace in 705.

CharlieKilo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CharlieKilo »

Anyone been contacted with interview dates and/or invitations recently?

FAD3C
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FAD3C »

Anyone with knowledge of 2017 courses and if they have been filled yet?
Good luck to all.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi
Calls for Jan courses will be going out the first week of December.
Lots of courses next year for both WJ and WJE. Pretty much 2 courses per month all the way to spring.

I'm sorry I don't have the exact dates in front of me - but that's the scoop until spring with more planned after that.

The WJ posting has been closed since Nov 1 but the direct entry captain for encore is still open as is the FO and flightpath posting for lower time pilots.

Cheers

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Is that 2 course per month each?

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

You are correct.
Course sizes are 12's for WJE (mix of direct entry captains and FO's) and mostly 10's for WJ (all FO's)
I believe we are just about done calling for the WJ posting. There might be 6 left to call for an interview invite.
Take care

FAD3C
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FAD3C »

Lots of courses next year for both WJ and WJE. Pretty much 2 courses per month all the way to spring.

I'm sorry I don't have the exact dates in front of me - but that's the scoop until spring with more planned after that.

The WJ posting has been closed since Nov 1 but the direct entry captain for encore is still open as is the FO and flightpath posting for lower time pilots.

Cheers
Hi Dave,

Thank you for the response. Have you any knowledge if the recent WJE FO interview candidates have been called yet? or issued a thank you/apply again letter yet?

Cheers

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Thanks DaveP. How much of the courses are being filled by DEC's? I imagine that news is a bit alarming to all the current F/O's that are in line for the left seat or recent hires hoping for a quick upgrade. When the time comes for those DEC's to flow through to WestJet are they going first or will they have to wait for all the F/O's hired before them to go thereby occupying a Captain's seat for a long time and stalling upgrades further?

Mirage
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mirage »

Cheers
Hi DaveP

Just found that the ad for DEC at WJE is reopened until 31 January 2017.

Are you still calling for DEC interview in December or wait till beginning of February.

Thanks

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi
The calls will likely be for Jan and Feb interviews now.
Cheers

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi Jim
First people on property flow first. The DEC are taking up about 30% of the courses currently but that will change (and likely reduce) as more become upgradeable - that are already at WJE.
Cheers

Return to “WestJet”