Canada - Country of Choice

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

swede
Rank 8
Rank 8

Canada - Country of Choice

Post by swede »

Country of Choice

Will we still be the Country of choice and still be Canada if we continue to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries that came to live in Canada because it is the Country of Choice?

Think about it!

All we have to say is when will they do something about MY RIGHTS?

I celebrate Christmas...but because everyone doesn’t celebrate it...we can no longer say Merry Christmas. Now it has to be Season's Greetings.

It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break. Isn't it amazing how this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday?

We've gone so far the other way, bent over backwards to not offend anyone, that I am now being offended. But it seems that no one has a problem with that.
This says it all!

This is an editorial written by an
Toronto newspaper. He did quite a job, didn't he? Read on, please!

IMMIGRANTS,
NOT Canadians
MUST ADAPT.
I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we
are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11,
we have experienced a surge
in patriotism by the majority
of Canadians. However... the dust from the attacks had
barely settled when the "politically correct! " crowd began complaining about
the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Canada
Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants.
However, there
are a few things that those
who have recently come to
our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.
This idea of Canada being a
multicultural community
has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Canadians...
we have our own culture, our
own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH/FRENCH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.
Therefore, if you wish to become part
of our society, learn the language!
"We Stand On Guard For Thee" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan… We adopted this motto because Christian men and women...on Christian principles...
founded this nation... and this is clearly documented.
It is certainly appropriate to display it
on the walls of our schools.
If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as
your new home...because

We
are happy with our culture and have
no desire to change, and we really
don't care how you did things where
you came from.
This is
OUR COUNTRY,
our land, and our lifestyle.
However, once you are done complaining... whining... and griping... about our flag...
our pledge... our national motto...or our
way of life...I highly encourage you to
take advantage of one other Great Canadian Freedom...

THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.
---------- ADS -----------

I'm givin er all she's got..
hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Very well written.

Could it be that Swede and I agree on something?

swede
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by swede »

Ha! - stranger things have happened - possibly..

I'm givin er all she's got..
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Is the world coming to and end? I agree with you aswell Swede. Of course I no longer live in Canada, but I think the same could be said about here.

Cheers

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Chantal
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Chantal »

I heard today 54% of our population is immigrants or people who were not born here. Also, these do not know much about Canada, and it's history. These people could become leaders in government. This would be bad for us because they will not care about our issues and values.

''Save Our Troops let them leave Afghanistan''. - Neil Osborne and a few friends
. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

I call that figure as total BS. facts?

Isis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Isis »

I agree with that editorial 110%!

I was not born in this country. However, it is where I was raised. I proudly wear my Canadian flag wherever I go. When people ask me my nationality, I reply with a grin, "CANADIAN"!

My grandfather always told me:

"Your rights end where someone else's begins"

- Isis

Keep Flyin'!
marktheone
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by marktheone »

I couldn't agree more. Sadly we are an apathetic people. I am as guilty of that as anyone else. Why do we tolerate it? I think because we always like to have something to bitch about and we tend to think that it is someone else's problem.

Start the ball rolling someone else and I'll jump on the bus!! LOL

Isis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Isis »

marktheone wrote:Sadly we are an apathetic people.
It's very true... however, I think one of the first big steps was taken by Dalton McGuinty just this past September. He put his foot down in regards to those tribunals - that took a lot of guts!

He was given a hard time about it. Oh, he didn't talk to any of the religious leaders, he didn't even talk to his advisors... he didn't have to! He knew what was right, and what was wrong. One of the first (and few) decisions of a Liberal leader that I have ever agreed with.

Hopefully his decision was enough to start the ball rolling.

- Isis

Keep Flyin'!
mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

Ok that has to be the dupe of the century...

While I totally agree with the sentament, that entire "article' is a re-write of a pro american editorial.

"Stand On Gaurd For Thee" sub "In God We Trust"

It holds true for Canada too, but ya'll bin duped inta thinkin that's origin'l Cana-jin, when it ain't...

I think the first time I saw it, it was longer and Andy Rooney (of 60 minutes) was sited as the author.

Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
Nightshiftzombie
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nightshiftzombie »

Boy nothing comemerates November 11 like some mindless Nationalism. I think I can here the jackboots already. :roll:

"Thats what the Internet is for stupid. Slandering others anonymously."
Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

You are all right!!!
What's wrong with having a Christian country!
I am now working in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, where the whole law is based on the Coran. So too in Irag, where the new puppet government chose to have an Islamic Republic also...
Yes, we are too PC and apathetic...
Cheers

Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.
just clearing the trees
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by just clearing the trees »

Nightshiftzombie wrote:Boy nothing comemerates November 11 like some mindless Nationalism. I think I can here the jackboots already. :roll:
I couldn't agree more. I got that same load of mindless drivel in my email not that long ago. What a load of crap.
Chantal wrote:These people could become leaders in government. This would be bad for us because they will not care about our issues and values.

I have news for you. Some of our leaders in government are from other cultures. Why is this a bad thing and how do you know that they don't care about our issues and values?
swede wrote:All we have to say is when will they do something about MY RIGHTS?
Exactly how are 'immigrants' taking away your rights? Because, you know the Christmas excuse is a load of bullshit right? You're still allowed to say Merry Christmas or whatever else you want. Places of business and television and radio media will say something more politically correct to ensure that they keep a wide customer base and appeal to everyone. No one is taking away your right to free speech, so that argument holds no water whatsoever.
swede wrote:This idea of Canada being a multicultural community
has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Canadians we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle.
These are quite possible the two most incorrect statements in the whole stupid essay. Canada's multiculturalism has not diluted our sovereignty and national identity. In fact, multiculturalism is one of the pillars of our national identity and one of the many reasons why Canada has often been named by the UN, the best country in the world to live in. Canada does not have it's own culture and language. We don't speak Canadian and drinking beer and watching hockey don't qualify as culture.
swede wrote:"We Stand On Guard For Thee" is our national motto.
Ok, so it turns out this is technically the most incorrect statement. Our national motto is not 'we stand on guard for thee.' It's actually "A mari usque ad mare" which is Latin for "From sea to sea."

I am very proud to be Canadian, but this is the kind of "patriotism" and "nationalism" that we don't need. This essay is nothing more than a bunch of empty bitching based on absolutely no facts. Just some idiot (and I'm referring to the original author, not the poster) who is threatened by different people, blowing off steam and trying to rally others. I mean, seriously, read it again. There's no facts, no evidence, nothing supporting the author's claims. It's pathetic. It's actually funny that someone would try to pass themselves off as intelligent by writing something as flawed as that. They couldn't even get the national motto right!

marktheone
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by marktheone »

Some of us have been told by our government that we love multiculturism and we believe it. Saying that we work as a multicultural society is ridiculous. I don't think that we are that superior to other cultures. Other cultures (middle east muslims) are smart enough to realize that they don't mix so they don't try. They keep to themselves. The melting pot doesn't work at all. New canadians just meld with other new canadians and the culture we had is lost. Proven by places like Surrey and Richmond where there are almost no "native" Canadians. Cultures don't mix all that well. We can visit well and understand each other, that I am all for, but we can't ever seem to live in harmony.

Sad but true.

FL_CH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL_CH »

That's what happens when one's being too friendly: you give someone a candy and they bite half of your arm off.

"Then from 1000 ft AGL until the final capture altitude, the A/C accelerates backwards up along the altitude profile with idle thrust"
. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

marktheone: If you were moving from Canada to India, or China I bet you'd want to move into an area where there were a few guys that spoke english and you could realate with. It's all about making the transition easier. It's not like the childern of these people don't go to school and learn the same language, learn the same history etc that you did. Get a grip dude.

Last edited by . . on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scuba_Steve
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Scuba_Steve »

marktheone wrote:Some of us have been told by our government that we love multiculturism and we believe it. Saying that we work as a multicultural society is ridiculous. I don't think that we are that superior to other cultures. Other cultures (middle east muslims) are smart enough to realize that they don't mix so they don't try. They keep to themselves. The melting pot doesn't work at all. New canadians just meld with other new canadians and the culture we had is lost. Proven by places like Surrey and Richmond where there are almost no "native" Canadians. Cultures don't mix all that well. We can visit well and understand each other, that I am all for, but we can't ever seem to live in harmony.

Sad but true.
Give it a few years, then they will spread out into the broader populace. I have many friends of Middle eastern , indian, asian descent whom are avid hockey fans and proudly wear a Canadian Flag on their Armed forces uniform.

Cheers

marktheone
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by marktheone »

Do you think if the shoe were on the other foot these people would be as accomadating of us as we are of them? Not a chance would they ever trip all over themselves trying to accomadate our religions and our cultures the way they do ours. We're so busy being politically correct that we end up stepping on our own feet.

I'm not against immigration at all I just think there has to some middle ground here somewhere. Chantal I think that 54% is way to high. I heard some time ago that across the whole country it's more like 30% that is first generation. For example it is all "old" Canadian in the prairies but not so much in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.

Am I out to lunch Endless? Maybe there is something I am missing??

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

there's a lot that you're missing mark. I imagine this is just the tip of the iceberg. Canada needs a constant influx of immigrants to sustain our population. Do some reading and you'll find out all kinds of cool stuff like that.

marktheone
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by marktheone »

That's true Endless we do need constant immigration to keep our population going. Since you asked (brought it up) here's my theory on that. We as born here Canadians recognize the current taxation situation and realize that to maintain the life style that we like we cannot afford to have children. Immigrants are prepared to live, sometimes, a lower style of living in order to afford to have kids. At least that is what happens in YVR. It is not uncommon to have 15 people living in one house. If that's what you gotta do to have kids I guess I'm gonna be extinct.

Closer to the mark Endless?? LOL

Return to “The Water Cooler”