Hand Gun Ban

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Hand Gun Ban Good or Bad??

Poll ended at Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:25 pm

Good
31%
Bad
69%

Total votes: 124

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Hand Gun Ban

Post by Dust Devil »

What do you think of the proposed handgun ban by the grits
---------- ADS -----------

w squared
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by w squared »

What exactly is this supposed to accomplish? How many handgun crimes are commited with registered weapons? I know for a fact that in most major cities, you can purchase a black market (smuggled from the US) semi-auto pistol for $500 or less. What are you going to accomplish by stopping the flow of legitimate (and more expensive) hand guns into licensed hands?

No, I don't own a handgun. No, I don't intend to own a handgun. But why throw a pile of money and legislation into an ineffective exercise in grandstanding and electioneering?

Look how well the federal gun registry turned out for us.

If you want to deal with handgun violence, deal with the VIOLENCE...the handguns are simply a tool in the hands of the violent. Even if by some miracle the government can cause every handgun in Canada to disappear, those that see violence as a necessary and everyday part of life will simply choose other weapons. Shotguns, rifles, knives, clubs...it doesn't matter.

Please don't tell my mother that I work in the Oilpatch...she still thinks that I'm the piano player at a whorehouse.
Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

w squared wrote:What exactly is this supposed to accomplish? How many handgun crimes are commited with registered weapons? I know for a fact that in most major cities, you can purchase a black market (smuggled from the US) semi-auto pistol for $500 or less. What are you going to accomplish by stopping the flow of legitimate (and more expensive) hand guns into licensed hands?

No, I don't own a handgun. No, I don't intend to own a handgun. But why throw a pile of money and legislation into an ineffective exercise in grandstanding and electioneering?

Look how well the federal gun registry turned out for us.

If you want to deal with handgun violence, deal with the VIOLENCE...the handguns are simply a tool in the hands of the violent. Even if by some miracle the government can cause every handgun in Canada to disappear, those that see violence as a necessary and everyday part of life will simply choose other weapons. Shotguns, rifles, knives, clubs...it doesn't matter.
Exactly but the people in toronto arn't smart enough to figure that out.

Floats
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Floats »

can you add " useless" to your poll.

This will accomplish nothing, but unfortunitly, Martin is campaigning to the stupid voters of Toronto

Floats

Over the Horn
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Over the Horn »

I'm buying a hand gun tomorrow, Fucking Liberals and their B.S. reactionary politics this will do nothing to curb crime. If they truly cared they would go after the gangs that trade drugs (weed) for guns from the U.S. if you have a crimminal record you can't buy a hand gun in this country if you want to transport it you have to get a permit that states the location your going to and have to be a member of a gun club. using the senseless murders in Toronto & Vancouver ( though most of the murders were gang members & the artist in Van probably had a coke dept) is a new low for politics in this country, its amazing how low the Liberals will sink to cling to power. :smt075

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Enforce a 10 year minimum sentence if you use any firearm in the commission of a crime. Do not let that be plea bargained away.

We have enough control thanks. Less government in our lives is a good thing.

Guido
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Guido »

My question is this: In a country where carrying a concealed weapon is illegal, WHO THE HELL NEEDS A HANDGUN?? :roll:

Flying Low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Flying Low »

I'm with Hazatude on this one.

Mandatory penalty for using a firearm in the commission of any crime on top of the penalty for the crime itself!

"The ability to ditch an airplane in the Hudson does not qualify a pilot for a pay raise. The ability to get the pilots, with this ability, to work for 30% or 40% pay cuts qualifies those in management for millions in bonuses."
costermonger
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by costermonger »

hazatude wrote:Enforce a 10 year minimum sentence if you use any firearm in the commission of a crime. Do not let that be plea bargained away.
Agreed.

Floats
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Floats »

WHO THE HELL NEEDS A HANDGUN??
Your right, but their are some people out their that belong to clubs, and there are collectors as well. But all of this is already regulated pretty tightly.

So, why do we need to ban Handguns, well for one, it will create another bureaucratic dept to manage it, something the lieberals are famous for. The other is too pull the wool over the eyes of residents of big citys who are experiencing a rash of gun crime.

10 year minimum sentances is a good start, the conservatives will push for this. But you will never see the fiberals or NDP support it. They will say that building these offenders basketball courts, and low income housing(that create the slums) is a better way

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

Guido wrote:My question is this: In a country where carrying a concealed weapon is illegal, WHO THE HELL NEEDS A HANDGUN?? :roll:
So you feel if you don't need something it should be banned?

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

Well I for one use my Pistols for target shooting and I am currently shooting at the "b" level in IPSC. Ive handled firearms since I was very young. I enjoy Clay shoots with my shotguns aswell. What hobbies do you have??? Im timed and judged on my acuracy. There are many Shooting Sports in the Olympics. I Hope to one day bring home some Medals for Canada !!!!!!

I think many people are misinformed about what it takes to buy a firearm in this country (legally). First off you have to take a course pass the written and pracitcal exam. Subject to a criminal back gorund search. Then there are rules for storage and usage. The licence for Restricted firearms (eg Handguns). Is another course and exams with further retrictions on them. Handguns have been registered and restricted since the 1930's thats Right 30's as of 1998 there were 1.2 million Legalally owned handguns in this country.

Many Canadians own firearms in a country of 30 million people. its around 26% of houses have firearms in them. thats a pretty good chunk of the population. Furthermore there are less than 50 permits in force for carrying concealed guns (usally judges/police).

http://www.ipsc.org/

Flying Low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Flying Low »

Good poster .....so true!

"The ability to ditch an airplane in the Hudson does not qualify a pilot for a pay raise. The ability to get the pilots, with this ability, to work for 30% or 40% pay cuts qualifies those in management for millions in bonuses."
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

It never really bothered me that drug dealers were shooting drug dealers in Toronto, but now I see how these people (and I use that term loosely) are ruining it for law abiding gun owners. I dont think they will be handing their guns over, not even for Raptors tickets! :twisted:

Let’s Go Brandon
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

My question is this: In a country where carrying a concealed weapon is illegal, WHO THE HELL NEEDS A HANDGUN??
Why, when the speed limit across the country rarely exceeds 100KPH, are we allowed to buy vehicles that are capable of 160+?? More people have been killed in car accidents in this country than guns have ever harmed...

'S funny, you'd think that Paul would really crack down on the mandatory minimums for using a firearm in the commision of a crime, cancel the gun registry, and take a huge chunk of wind out of Harper's sails..but no, he takes aim (sorry, bad pun) once again, at law abiding citizens.. :roll:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
WJflyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by WJflyer »

This will work well for him in the big cities, like Toronto or Vancouver, but there will be major voter backlash in the rural areas. My view.

mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

There should be a ban on killing people... oh wait...

Not that I'm opposed to a handgun ban, but would it even be enforceable without people crying about just cause for searches, etc. I can just picture all the evidence thrown out cause of technicallities in searches and so on. Go system!

Can't win for losing...

Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

There is a handgun ban in New York City...

Guido
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Guido »

. wrote:Well I for one use my Pistols for target shooting and I am currently shooting at the "b" level in IPSC. Ive handled firearms since I was very young. I enjoy Clay shoots with my shotguns aswell. What hobbies do you have??? Im timed and judged on my acuracy. There are many Shooting Sports in the Olympics. I Hope to one day bring home some Medals for Canada !!!!!!

I think many people are misinformed about what it takes to buy a firearm in this country (legally). First off you have to take a course pass the written and pracitcal exam. Subject to a criminal back gorund search. Then there are rules for storage and usage. The licence for Restricted firearms (eg Handguns). Is another course and exams with further retrictions on them. Handguns have been registered and restricted since the 1930's thats Right 30's as of 1998 there were 1.2 million Legalally owned handguns in this country.

Many Canadians own firearms in a country of 30 million people. its around 26% of houses have firearms in them. thats a pretty good chunk of the population. Furthermore there are less than 50 permits in force for carrying concealed guns (usally judges/police).

Actually, that pretty much answers my question. I don't generally support banning anything, but I'd never heard of pistols at shooting clubs... sounds like a fun sport!

I'm afraid the world might stop turning if I say this, but I do actually agree with Haz on the idea of enforcing a minimum 10 year additional penalty for illegal use. The only problem in my mind, is that "penalties" don't seem to matter to the morons who go out and shoot people. If they were worried about what the law thought, then I don't think we'd have murders happening!

VeRmiLLioN
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by VeRmiLLioN »

hazatude wrote:There is a handgun ban in New York City...
Is it working there?

Return to “The Water Cooler”