Faces of meth

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Snowgoose
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Faces of meth

Post by Snowgoose »

---------- ADS -----------

It's better to break ground and head into the wind than to break wind and head into the ground.
Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

During the last few months, I've been doing some contracted work for the City of Victoria. I've evaluated the security/safety concerns of many of their parking facilities and while doing so, often overnight, I got to know and meet over 100 heroine, cocaine, morphine and meth users.

It's a humbling experience. It's a part of society that we do not wish to see or acknowledge. What struck me and actually hit home was to meet a man who used to have a similar management position to mine, now 7 years later, withering away, barely 120 Lbs.

I've also had the misfortune to see some of them pass away while doing my job. Crystal Methamphetamines is, as you know, a dangerous dehydrator agent and if no water is consumed, it can be deadly. Your heart rate and your overall activity increases and if you already are a Hyper person, it takes you to a near psychotic state. Many have told me they commit crimes, b&e to manslaughter, on Meth, but rarely on crack or heroine.

Yoyo

Image In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield...W. Buffett
Chantal
Rank 6
Rank 6

websites

Post by Chantal »

News Release
2005-88
August 11, 2005
For immediate release

Government of Canada increases maximum penalties for Methamphetamine offences
OTTAWA - Health Minister Ujjal Dosanjh, Justice Minister and Attorney General of Canada Irwin Cotler, and Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Anne McLellan, today announced that the Government of Canada has increased the maximum penalties for possession, trafficking, importation, exportation and production of methamphetamine, also known as crystal meth, or meth.

"There are significant health, social and economic harms caused by methamphetamine, not only for users, but for communities as well," said Minister Dosanjh. "As part of the Government of Canada's continuing work on Canada's Drug Strategy, we have taken action to bring the penalties for methamphetamine offences in line with those substances that pose a comparable level of risk to health and safety, such as cocaine."

Methamphetamine has been moved to Schedule I of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, which provides access to the highest maximum penalties. The maximum penalty for production and distribution of methamphetamine has increased from 10 years to life in prison.

"It is not only a matter of law enforcement but a matter of the protection of human rights, in particular, the rights of victims. The law must therefore not only reflect the seriousness of the offense but its impact on families and communities," said Minister Cotler. "The most serious cases will be dealt with by a team of designated federal prosecutors, who will have specially developed tools to assist them in conveying to the courts the full impact of the production and distribution of this harmful substance."

"Today's announcement is a key step towards addressing the health and public safety issues associated with methamphetamine use," added Minister McLellan. "Together with law enforcement efforts across the country, these changes will help curb illicit trafficking of this drug. I look forward to continued cooperation with other levels of government and our stakeholders to address this important issue."

Earlier this year, Health Canada also proposed amendments to add four substances used in the production of methamphetamine to the list of controlled chemicals under the Precursor Control Regulations. The illegal possession of these "precursor chemicals," for the purposes of producing a controlled substance such as methamphetamine, would become an offence resulting in either a fine of up to $5000, up to three years imprisonment or both. Together, these actions support education and treatment programs already being undertaken across the country by various levels of government and community organizations.

Canada's Drug Strategy, which was renewed in May 2003, is the Government of Canada's response to addressing the harmful use of substances. The Strategy takes a balanced approach to reducing both the demand for, and supply of, drugs and includes measures to inform Canadians, and particularly youth, about the real harms of all forms of substance abuse.

In support of this, Health Canada has undertake a number of important initiatives. Health Canada works to monitor and address the diversion of chemicals that have legitimate uses, but are instead used in the illegal production of illicit synthetic drugs such as methamphetamine. Health Canada has many partners in addressing diversion, including the RCMP, the Canada Border Services Agencyand Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada, their provincial and territorial counterparts, local law enforcement agencies, key industry stakeholders and the US Drug Enforcement Administration.

Also, Health Canada contributes $14 million annually for provincial and territorial drug treatment and rehabilitation services for key target groups, particularly youth and women.

To address higher rates of drug and alcohol use in First Nations and Inuit communities, Health Canada funds $70 million for the National Native Alcohol and Drug Abuse Program (NNADAP) and the National Youth Solvent Abuse Program (NYSAP).

As well, Health Canada provides $9.5 million in annual funding for community projects focusing on substance abuse through the Drug Strategy Community Initiatives Fund (CIF) established under Canada's Drug Strategy. The CIF was established in April 2004, and is intended to facilitate the development of national, provincial, territorial, and community-based solutions to problematic substance use, and promote public awareness of substance use and abuse issues.

To learn more about the harmful effects of substance use and abuse, visit Canada's Drug Strategy website: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/activit/ ... dex_e.html

To learn more about the proposed regulatory changes for the Precursor Control Regulations, visit: http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partI/2005/2 ... le5-e.html

http://www.gov.mb.ca/crystalmeth/howmanitoba.html

http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/publication ... tamine.pdf

http://corp.aadac.com/other_drugs/the_b ... ources.asp

''Save Our Troops let them leave Afghanistan''. - Neil Osborne and a few friends
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

That shit scares the hell out of me. :?

Chantal
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Chantal »

istp, what do you think of this ad ? The Lost one

http://corp.aadac.com/other_drugs/the_b ... ources.asp

''Save Our Troops let them leave Afghanistan''. - Neil Osborne and a few friends
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Hey Chanty,

I just fired up my new computer today, and I'm a downs syndrome baby when it comes to technology, so I couldn't view the video. I read the transcripts though.

That's enough.

Are you trying to give me nightmares?

I've never tried any of the hard drugs, because one guitar player I met once said, "Graham, don't ever try coke. It's too good."

I'm assuming the other drugs are the same. They might make me think you're a sexy nun. :lol:

-istp :wink:

Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

I never did frugs because when I was a kid, my dad came to me and said:

"Yoyoma, if you ever touch drugs, I will kick the crap out of you sooo hard it will blow the YoYo out of your name...which will leave you looking like Ma...Have a drink instead...God Bless!"

Image In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield...W. Buffett
Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

20% of meth users will be addicted the first time they try it. There's no way of prediciting who will and who won't. Meth "yabba" pills are often sold as exstacy. In the greater Vancouver area almost all "exstacy" is actually meth because it's cheaper and easier to make.

20% of recently tested weed samples in BC were found to be laced with meth powder ground so fine it was invisible to the naked eye. Done by organized crime to make "weed" highly addictive.

BC has the distinction of being the first jurisdiction in North America to have large scale "commercial" meth labs. Most other places still only have small mom & pop labs used to primarily fuel the users own habit. Big profits + meaningless consequences if caught = large scale drug production.

Grades 6 through 8 is the target group for drug dealers to get kids into meth. At $10 a point in the lower mainland, and as cheap as $5 in the interior and north of BC, 3 kids can get a 6 hour high for less than their lunch money.

The feds move to increase maximum penalties is meaningless because the judges will/can not impose greater sentences then they already do. Federal sentencing guidlines make it essentially impossible for a maximum sentence to ever be imposed in Canada.

The only "bright spot" with meth is that it will "run it's course" by peaking in popularity, and then dieing out as it kills it's users. Herion, coke, and most other drugs have "legs" because the users can survive for decades. Meth addicts lives can be measured in months to a few years.

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Meth... yes lets go and make a drug that is way worse than anything else we have. Ues that is a good idea I think I will do that.... man Meht Sucks

marktheone
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by marktheone »

That stuff really is evil. Gotta get to the root of the problem to stop it though. What that root is I don't know but we gotta get there. I guess tell your kids to stick to crack, it's safer.

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

The root of the problem is parents not raising their own god damn kids. Everyone wants to stick em in daycares or have babysitters look after them. Now parents want the government to babysit their kids.

The problem isn't poverty. Both my parents we're raised in poverty. My wife was raised far below the poverty line and she was never a junky. How many of these kids have a parent waiting for them when they get out of school. Ya can't get mixed up in this shit if you have a parent on your ass wondering where you were and where your going. These days parents are more interested in being their kids buddy then being the hard ass keeping 'em out of trouble.

Ok boys and girls let me have it :lol: :lol:

FlyYukon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FlyYukon »

These days parents are more interested in being their kids buddy then being the hard ass keeping 'em out of trouble.
In my opinion, this is due to the fact that what most of us are used to as proper punishment (grounding, spanking, slap the hand etc...) has been made almost socially inappropriate, and you could be jailed and/or loose your children for the same things that made you who you are. I'm happy how I was raised, never want to eat soap again :p, but if we cannot punish our children, well, just look at the streets...

Return to “The Water Cooler”