Ever Watch Mainstream TV Anymore?

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Locked
TorontoGuy
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Toronto

Ever Watch Mainstream TV Anymore?

Post by TorontoGuy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:16 am

Just reading a news story over lunchhour about a conference in Montreal on the future of television.

"Programs that used to be broadcast solely by conventional tv channels are now split up between specialized channels, video-on-demand, mobile phones and other platforms...

"...young people are spending more time on the Internet than watching TV."

Do you still ever watch the major networks?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
FREEFALL
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:49 pm
Location: T.I.

Post by FREEFALL » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:43 am

I never use the internet. My education comes from watching farm animals and TV. :arrow: 8)
---------- ADS -----------
  
If riding in a plane is FLYING. Then Riding in a boat is SWIMMING!

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7374
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.
Contact:

Post by . ._ » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:45 am

I spend approximately 90 percent of my couch potato/net potato time online, or watching downloaded movies/TV shows. The other 10 percent, I watch free TV. Sudbury has 5 english channels that I can pick up with a regular antenna TV- good enough for news, and new Simpsons episodes. Of the 5 stations, I mostly watch TVO- public TV with no commercials and REAL content.

So all of you advertisers trying to warp my brain into buying Swiffers, and Big Macs can bite me!

And I'm not even young! (36)

-istp
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
FREEFALL
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:49 pm
Location: T.I.

Post by FREEFALL » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:51 am

istp wrote:I spend approximately 90 percent of my couch potato/net potato time online, or watching downloaded movies/TV shows. The other 10 percent, I watch free TV. Sudbury has 5 english channels that I can pick up with a regular antenna TV- good enough for news, and new Simpsons episodes. Of the 5 stations, I mostly watch TVO- public TV with no commercials and REAL content.

So all of you advertisers trying to warp my brain into buying Swiffers, and Big Macs can bite me!

And I'm not even young! (36)

-istp

You are my new mentor. :prayer:
---------- ADS -----------
  
If riding in a plane is FLYING. Then Riding in a boat is SWIMMING!

harddeckflyer
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:14 pm
Location: No Fixed Adress

Post by harddeckflyer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:42 pm

I call ISTP's Bull shit

20 bucks says hes got a full subscription to playboy and vivid.... hahaha

Unless of course they have started playing the Red Shoe Diaries on TVO now. LOL

HD
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:49 am

Post by Brewguy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:47 pm

I watch about 1 1/2 - 2 hours of TV a day... all of which is "off air" (communications industry speak for us chumps that receive a signal via an antena; rather than satellite or cable).

I get most of the major networks, but only their normal broadcasts (satellite / cable sometimes shows content on the same network during the same time slot :? ) So not sure if you would classify that as "mainstream".
---------- ADS -----------
  

Walker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1065
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:17 pm
Location: Left Coast... (CYYJ)

Post by Walker » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:53 pm

MMMmmmmmmmm Bit Torrent...........
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
w squared
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2040
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:32 pm
Location: Somewhere in the patch

Post by w squared » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:09 pm

I don't watch much TV even when I'm at home on time off. I spend the vast majority of my couch potato time on the internet or watching non-broadcast programming. (stuff that I've downloaded, rented, or purchased. About a 60/40 split between movies and series like The Sopranos, Entourage, and Over There)

When I do watch TV, it's mostly specialty channels. Movie Central (in order to see the HBO stuff), The History Channel, OLN. Very little of my time is spent watching "normal" network TV. The thing that I am most likely to watch on network TV is local news.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Image

Please don't tell my mother that I work in the Oilpatch...she still thinks that I'm the piano player at a whorehouse.

User avatar
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6744
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:54 pm
Location: I'm a CPL trapped in a PPL's Body.
Contact:

Post by niss » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:59 pm

Yep always here
---------- ADS -----------
  
She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!

User avatar
hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6101
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: Hamilton
Contact:

Post by hazatude » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:52 pm

I watch House, Simpsons, Family Guy and Lost live. Everything else I bittorrent.
---------- ADS -----------
  

just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1070
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:05 pm
Location: Edmonton

Post by just another pilot » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:10 pm

I think Boston Legal is funny. Shatner at his finest. He shot a homeless man in the forehead with a paint gun in the last episode. :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
  

Walker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1065
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:17 pm
Location: Left Coast... (CYYJ)

Post by Walker » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:06 pm

Why watch live when if you can find the right torrent you can DL the ENTIRE season sans adds/censor editing 3 months before episode one even plays on the network….
---------- ADS -----------
  

Nightshiftzombie
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:23 am
Location: The Dark

Post by Nightshiftzombie » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:05 am

Never had much luck getting Coronation Street on Bit Torrent. :cry:
---------- ADS -----------
  
"Thats what the Internet is for stupid. Slandering others anonymously."

User avatar
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6744
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:54 pm
Location: I'm a CPL trapped in a PPL's Body.
Contact:

Post by niss » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:28 am

SCRUBS!!!!!! the best show on earth
---------- ADS -----------
  
She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7374
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.
Contact:

Post by . ._ » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:20 am

harddeckflyer wrote:I call ISTP's Bull shit

20 bucks says hes got a full subscription to playboy and vivid.... hahaha

Unless of course they have started playing the Red Shoe Diaries on TVO now. LOL

HD
:lol:
---------- ADS -----------
  

Locked

Return to “The Water Cooler”