College shooting

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

College shooting

Post by flyinhigh »

---------- ADS -----------

Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

I just heard about that!, they are saying now that there were 3 gunmen (2 of them are dead) of course these are just rumours for now.

My prayers go out to everyone involved.

bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

very sad, hope all injured have a speedy recovery. From what i understand the gunmen is the only one killed, but many seriously injured.

alpha1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by alpha1 »

what a terrible senseless tragedy.

my prayers are with all those affected.

fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

One student dead and 20 injured (six critically). The shooter (male, dressed in a black trench coat with a mohawk and piercings) was shot by police.

My girlfriend attends that college but only in the evening thank god!

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

I used to attend Dawson but switched to one closer to my home. I still have friends there and was deeply saddened when I heard about this. I was very worried and tried to contact my friends but all the cell phone networks were down. It was a very stressful day but luckily, due to quick police response the damage was limited and we are lucky that no one else got hurt. May he burn in hell.

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

Does everyone remember that xmas shooting in yul which was feminist hate related?

I thought that was like 5 years ago. It was actually 17 years ago as the news remarked on that tonight.

Time moves too fast.

This is a terrible event that will scar many people for many years. Good news is the guy was gunned down by police within 5 minutes of buddyoverthere pulling the trigger. Nice job YUL police!!!

Chantal
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Chantal »

Those people will need our prayers tonight.

Montreal is sure having a bad season eh

''Save Our Troops let them leave Afghanistan''. - Neil Osborne and a few friends
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

That shooting was at the Ecole Polytechnique, very very sad.

scubasteve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by scubasteve »

It is brutal what some people will do. Also brutal that the media will show the injured being loaded into ambulances before family can be notified. Some stories can wait a few minutes and some discretion would be nice.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Well in defense one of the victims, a girl age 18, was not pronounced dead until her family was notified around 4-5 oclock. She died on the spot in the cafeteria. I actually think the authorities handled everything quite well. I still can't get over it still though.

mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

I was rather disappointed with the interviewers leading the interviewees. By news time on the west coast, there was already a story running on how to recognise 'warning signs' in your child. :roll: I suppose most people here feel the same way about the media as me.

I truly feel for all those invloved. Speedy recovery.

Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
Chantal
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Chantal »

The media had tons of witnesses to interview, this one guy (student)said, someone told him there was a guy with a gun and he thought it was a joke. Then he went towards the atrium and he ended up seeing the shooter but luckily he was on another floor so he hid in a classroom with other students, poor guy! he said he couldn't think of what to do.

BTW the shooter had a blog, and there were comments on there that should be warning sign that he was thinking of doing this. The police would know more about warning signs but I wonder if they can do anything when they see blogs like that. Maybe they can find these people by watching blogs more closely.

''Save Our Troops let them leave Afghanistan''. - Neil Osborne and a few friends
mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

How are you going to monitor and evaluate every blog on the net? Guy was a nut. Good on the cops for responding fast.

Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

This is not a change of topic ... it is impossible to guarantee that a weapon will never be brought on board an airliner by a terrorist. No one will ever admit this, but it is true.

The obvious way to deal with this is to issue pistols at the boarding gate to qualified individuals, who have passed pistol handling and safety courses.

No terrorist would ever hijack an airplane again, if he knew that there were 50 to 100 armed and pissed off passengers on board. Lead poisoning would shortly ensue.

Back to schools at La Belle Province. How can we apply the lesson learned above to this situation?

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Hedley wrote:This is not a change of topic ... it is impossible to guarantee that a weapon will never be brought on board an airliner by a terrorist. No one will ever admit this, but it is true.

The obvious way to deal with this is to issue pistols at the boarding gate to qualified individuals, who have passed pistol handling and safety courses.

No terrorist would ever hijack an airplane again, if he knew that there were 50 to 100 armed and pissed off passengers on board. Lead poisoning would shortly ensue.

Back to schools at La Belle Province. How can we apply the lesson learned above to this situation?
Agreed. An armed society is a polite society.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Which would you choose to protect yourself from a nut case like the guy who did this?

A fully loaded 357 Magnum.

Prayer.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

depends is my prayer a jacketed hollow point?

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Icebound
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Icebound »

Hedley wrote:This is not a change of topic ... it is impossible to guarantee that a weapon will never be brought on board an airliner by a terrorist. No one will ever admit this, but it is true.

The Globe called them "legally registered guns", so presumably our friend at Dawson would have had a PAL.

So he, too, must have passed the firearm safety tests, and thus you would be issuing him a pistol at the gate???

Walker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Walker »

Chantal, the problem with trying to screen for this sort of behavior is such a system would inevitably lead to a police state. Free speech would go out the window and half the people on this board would be hauled away by the Gestapo. It is a sad fact, but (in my mind) an acceptable loss Vs any of the alternatives. The only way the gun registry could possible be used to lessen the likelihood of such an incident is to do what the Australians did and round up and destroy all the registered guns. Close the armories, seize and destroy all the weapons and over the course of 20 or 30 years turn the world into Japan where it is VERY hard to get your hands on a firearm and the few that make it through the cracks will be in the hands of organized crime who I suspect have no intention of shooting up schools.
HOWEVER There is an arguable valid point to allowing citizens to lightly arm themselves; IE it would be a built in protection FROM the “police state.” Hence why it’s so deeply ingrained in the US constitution. People wanted insurance that if the government ever went horribly afoul the people would be far more able to rise up and reestablish order. Also can you imagine the logistical nightmare that attempting to occupy the US would be? And you think Iraq is bad!!! Im sure there’s a LOT more nut jobs and heavy weapons buried in the sands of Texas than there are in the outskirts of Bagdad.

So what happened is very sad, but (IMHO) a cost that society must be willing to accept over the danger that the alternative may present. So until Gort (will ANYONE get that reference) is built disarming this society to save less than a handful of people seems like a poor social decision to me.

Return to “The Water Cooler”