Have you ever left a girl?

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

It's the Pitts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Have you ever left a girl?

Post by It's the Pitts »

Have you ever left a girl to take a job flying?

How did it work out for you? Was anyone an emotional reck and wanted to put you and the rest of your pax into a smoking crater and end it all right there?

How did that job work for you? Any regrets?

Be honest, because I know that you can go out to the local pub/cougar bar and plug any dirty out there, because let's face it, we're the best, woman want us in them.

Pitts
---------- ADS -----------

You got the Nod for the Sod
ei ei owe
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Have you ever left a girl?

Post by ei ei owe »

It's the Pitts wrote:let's face it, we're the best, woman want us in them.
Oh lord.....

I think I know why the girl left you. Don't hide behind the story of you leaving her for another ramp job.

Everything comes in threes....
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Yup. Got the mythical 'first job,' kissed her good bye, see you in the fall, and I was off to Pickle Lake. Three months later, it wasn't really working out any more, we had an emotional phone call in Lansdowne House (of all the miserable bloody places to get dumped!) and that was it. Fast forward ten years, and we are good friends - something that we should perhaps have stayed in the first place..

Lots of other fish in the sea. Do what you need to to get over it, and then go in search of Ms. Right.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

I think most pilots have a similar story somewhere in the archives. The lansdowne house ending gets extra points. That truly would have sucked.

Front.
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Front. »

on your first date you clarify that you're a pilot and that you will be moving around if something good opens up. If she accepts that, then good for her. And if she doesn't accept that, move onto another girl.

And no, men aren't necessarily the best and i m starting to wonder if it's that thought that did something to the relationship. I don't know and frankly could care less cause it isn't my business. But i know that you need to clarify for the girl what your job is and what the consequences consists of.

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

Front. wrote:on your first date you clarify that you're a pilot
I don't think guys like to tell girls that they are pilots right away do they?

:roll: :lol:

Front.
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Front. »

what i was trying to get at is that the girl needs to know and be clarified what your job and career is. If they assume you're a jock from the side of the street and can take a day off anytime you want to give her a good morning, then they're assuming wrong. Get them to realize what they're about to enter cause if the industry goes haywire, or booms, that means less or better opporunities for you. Either way, being settled in one base isn't exactly the history of all pilot's now is it?

To make your day, let's make that a 10th date? sounds good? :lol:

onezerotenthousand
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by onezerotenthousand »

There'll always be another flying job around, it all depends if shes the one too. If she is, she'll stick around. Although you might have to chase off "Leeroy" when you get back to town, or airlines benefits for travel, seen that one done / and they're married now!

AND THAT'S THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLES!
sameasyou
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sameasyou »

I actually ran into the girl who decided she couldn't handle poverty wages and no days off a couple of months ago after not seeing her for about 15 yrs. She looked like she had been ridden hard and put away wet on more than one occasion so it was a big sigh of relief that she decided to dump me way back when. Living well is still the best revenge

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

It's the Pitts wrote: Be honest, because I know that you can go out to the local pub/cougar bar and plug any dirty out there, because let's face it, we're the best, woman want us in them.
Uh.. yeah. Ok. :roll:

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Have you ever left a girl to take a job flying?
Hell I've left them for a weekend hunting trip!!

It may hurts some now, but a day will come when you will be able to look back on this with a smile on your face. In the mean time, grab a cougar!!

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
Pete
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Pete »

lol i see it no different from a guy going to war. odds arent stacked in your favour that shell stick around...then again I havent moved north yet so I dont know...its just a hunch. Any success stories out there? Where youve come back from the bush and your special someone is still there waiting? There's got to be some married guys/gals who have dealt with that...

Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

After a failed marriage not directly attributed to the flying lifestyle, I can give you these words of advice.

If you've got doubts that it'll work out if you leave, it's already doomed. Make the move, hurt like hell for a while, and then realize that you are better off...and then get on with life as a happier individual. If it's a relationship worth it in the long term, it'll survive - because if it's that good you'll both make it survive. There's a lot of talk about AIDS out there, but my money is on a large number of these marriages not having the basics to make it through a demanding career and family situaiton.

My marriage failed just after taking my latest job - and my all-awaited move to the airlines (nice timing, eh?). Guess what - life goes on, no desire to end it all; in fact I'm happier now than I've ever been and having groundschool and sim to focus on got me through those initial tough times.

So although it's not what you might think of as a "success" story - I'll leave you with this. The real success is in being happy, whether that means a marriage ending or a relationship surviving.

Pugster (Dr. Phil for this post) OUT.

Jeremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jeremy »

It all depends where your priorities stand. Are you a family man, or plan to be? Or is your career more important to you?

I've been both at different times in my life, and I wish I was more a plan-to-be family man on more than one occasion.

It doesn't matter how fast you climb the career ladder if your miserable on the way...and alone when you reach where you're going. Of course I'm not saying it takes a relationship/marriage to not be miserable....just try to be happy with your personal life and career, and make choices that will help you stay happy.

Flying jobs are everywhere. Yet it usually takes years to find the right woman.

Everyone is different. What is important to you?

bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bob sacamano »

It's the Pitts wrote:Was anyone an emotional reck and wanted to put you and the rest of your pax into a smoking crater and end it all right there?
What do the poor pax have anything to do with the breakup? If someone is thinking of doing that they should really see a shrink, definetly NOT suited to be flying.

Do that kinda shit on your own time.

p.s. no girl is worth ending it all, that's just crazy talk.

p.p.s. don't do that kinda shit :lol:

:smt109
Switchfoot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Switchfoot »

Jeremy wrote:It all depends where your priorities stand. Flying jobs are everywhere. Yet it usually takes years to find the right woman. Everyone is different. What is important to you?
Good point. It really does depend on what makes a person happy. I have given up a few girlfriends/relationships for aviation, and good ones too. But in the past year, after starting yet another relationship, I have decdided to reverse the process. Aviation never loved anyone back.

Told her right from the start that flying is a part of my life, a big part, and that it may involve some moving around/chasing work, etc. She has been understanding and supportive. It's a two-way street and requires effort from both sides.

Do what's best for you and what makes you happy. Life is too short as it is and it's far better to find the balance between career and relationship. Enjoy life; it doesn't last forever.

Switchfoot. 8)

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Women are like streetcars.

The ocean's full of them.

-istp :wink:

Golden Flyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Golden Flyer »

Why are ladies so obssessed with the term "Pilot"? Tell them that and they're head over heals in love with you... The whole top gun movie got to there head... lol. I've told a number of girls that and they look at me as if I'm some superhero...

"Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible"

Edward Vernon Rickenbacker

All Pilots & Prospective Pilots Should Have Read:
http://walter.freefuelforever.com
Walter Gilles
Emirates: B-777
Front.
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Front. »

It all depends where your priorities stand
That pretty much sums it up.

Pete
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Pete »

Most girls Ive met have never even seen top gun. I avoid telling anyone Im a pilot because I hate the question period afterwards. I think curious chicks are no different from curious guys....the most common thing I hear is "how do you know where your going in clouds"...I just say Im not licensed to fly in them and I dont know...but I bet that curiousity has something to do with it...who knows...who really cares. My girlfriend of, 2 1/2 years now hates flying, Ive taken her twice both times only 15 min at a time...my longest relationship....the other chicks who liked the flying....never lasted.

Return to “The Water Cooler”