Why keep the brain dead/damaged alive?

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

the_professor
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1130
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:03 pm

Why keep the brain dead/damaged alive?

Post by the_professor »

This is not a troll, it is a question based on the link below that I'd like to see debated.

If a person cannot eat on their own, cannot talk, cannot maintain eye contact, cannot bathe themselves, cannot move, etc, etc, etc, then what is the point of keeping them alive?

What does the person or society gain by expending the enormous resources required?

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/01/04/ashley.html
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
cloudcounter
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:14 pm
Location: Heavenly places/Down here

Re: Why keep the brain dead/damaged alive?

Post by cloudcounter »

It seems she can relate to her parents.
Perhaps they should pull the plug on that Hawking guy too?
Anyway , what loss has been brought to society by all the abortion murders of inconvenient children who could have contributed to our society and the world?
It should be a no brainer.
cc
the_professor wrote:This is not a troll, it is a question based on the link below that I'd like to see debated.

If a person cannot eat on their own, cannot talk, cannot maintain eye contact, cannot bathe themselves, cannot move, etc, etc, etc, then what is the point of keeping them alive?

What does the person or society gain by expending the enormous resources required?

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/01/04/ashley.html
---------- ADS -----------
  
Koran 5:33
The Punishment for those who oppose Allah and his messenger is : Execution or Crucifixion or the cutting off of ..snip
If Truth be not your goal,
you have achieved your gaol.

http://www.biblicalzionist.com/index.htm

The Other Kind
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:40 pm

Post by The Other Kind »

If we're gonna start killing the 'brain dead' then this pilot shortage thing is gonna get a lot worse.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Back out on that road again
Turn this beast into the wind
There are those that break and bend
I'm the other kind

User avatar
cloudcounter
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:14 pm
Location: Heavenly places/Down here

Post by cloudcounter »

:D
---------- ADS -----------
  
Koran 5:33
The Punishment for those who oppose Allah and his messenger is : Execution or Crucifixion or the cutting off of ..snip
If Truth be not your goal,
you have achieved your gaol.

http://www.biblicalzionist.com/index.htm

User avatar
fanspeed
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:59 am

Re: Why keep the brain dead/damaged alive?

Post by fanspeed »

the_professor wrote:This is not a troll, it is a question based on the link below that I'd like to see debated.

If a person cannot eat on their own, cannot talk, cannot maintain eye contact, cannot bathe themselves, cannot move, etc, etc, etc, then what is the point of keeping them alive?

What does the person or society gain by expending the enormous resources required?

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/01/04/ashley.html
Why stop there, prof? Why not criminals, handicapped, shit, people on welfare,.............i'll quit while i'm ahead.
---------- ADS -----------
  

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2165
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: If it's Monday it's got to be somewhere shitty

Post by shitdisturber »

The Other Kind wrote:If we're gonna start killing the 'brain dead' then this pilot shortage thing is gonna get a lot worse.
I was gonna say something about there would be openings at TC.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
cloudcounter
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:14 pm
Location: Heavenly places/Down here

Post by cloudcounter »

God's view on the topic:
Mat 18:10 Don't be cruel to any of these little ones! I promise you that their angels are always with my Father in heaven.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Koran 5:33
The Punishment for those who oppose Allah and his messenger is : Execution or Crucifixion or the cutting off of ..snip
If Truth be not your goal,
you have achieved your gaol.

http://www.biblicalzionist.com/index.htm

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:23 am
Location: Armpit of the earth

Re: Why keep the brain dead/damaged alive?

Post by N2 »

the_professor wrote:This is not a troll, it is a question based on the link below that I'd like to see debated.

If a person cannot eat on their own, cannot talk, cannot maintain eye contact, cannot bathe themselves, cannot move, etc, etc, etc, then what is the point of keeping them alive?
Ok I'll bite...to make pilots out of them? :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
  
Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 10430
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 6:40 am
Location: CYSH
Contact:

Post by Hedley »

Because Transport's having trouble hiring again? :wink:
---------- ADS -----------
  

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4014
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:06 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Why keep the brain dead/damaged alive?

Post by bmc »

the_professor wrote: If a person cannot eat on their own, cannot talk, cannot maintain eye contact, cannot bathe themselves, cannot move, etc, etc, etc, then what is the point of keeping them alive?


http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/01/04/ashley.html
I can think of several uses and I'm sure my colleagues on the forum can suggest more alternatives. In fact, I dare them to.

Clothes rack
insect farm
deodorant tester
maniquin for practicing hair styling
sex toy (for co-pilots)
right seat occupant for express lanes
furniture
cushion target
Twin Otter ballast
---------- ADS -----------
  
bmc

User avatar
cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4150
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:05 am
Location: Toronto

Post by cyyz »

If they want to pay for it, okay... Doesn't matter to me...

But the fact that they did surgery on her to stunt her growth, is kinda disturbing....

But that's what happens in our wonderful north american societ where people under 18 have no rights...
---------- ADS -----------
  

the_professor
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1130
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:03 pm

Re: Why keep the brain dead/damaged alive?

Post by the_professor »

cloudcounter wrote:It seems she can relate to her parents.
Perhaps they should pull the plug on that Hawking guy too?
Steven Hawking, one of the great minds in astronomy, vs. a girl who has, according to her parents, the mental state of a three month old.

You want me to debate that?
---------- ADS -----------
  

the_professor
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1130
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:03 pm

Re: Why keep the brain dead/damaged alive?

Post by the_professor »

bmc wrote:
the_professor wrote: If a person cannot eat on their own, cannot talk, cannot maintain eye contact, cannot bathe themselves, cannot move, etc, etc, etc, then what is the point of keeping them alive?


http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/01/04/ashley.html
I can think of several uses and I'm sure my colleagues on the forum can suggest more alternatives. In fact, I dare them to.

Clothes rack
insect farm
deodorant tester
maniquin for practicing hair styling
sex toy (for co-pilots)
right seat occupant for express lanes
furniture
cushion target
Twin Otter ballast
I didn't expect to laugh at this thread, but now I have. Sex toy, right seat occupant, and ballast are my favorites.
---------- ADS -----------
  

the_professor
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1130
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:03 pm

Re: Why keep the brain dead/damaged alive?

Post by the_professor »

fanspeed wrote:
the_professor wrote:This is not a troll, it is a question based on the link below that I'd like to see debated.

If a person cannot eat on their own, cannot talk, cannot maintain eye contact, cannot bathe themselves, cannot move, etc, etc, etc, then what is the point of keeping them alive?

What does the person or society gain by expending the enormous resources required?

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/01/04/ashley.html
Why stop there, prof? Why not criminals, handicapped, shit, people on welfare,.............i'll quit while i'm ahead.
Criminals might be reformable, many handicapped people are able to contribute to society. They are not equivalent to a complete vegetable, as this girl is.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Glen Quagmire
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:32 pm
Location: YYZ

Post by Glen Quagmire »

Don't start quoting the bible on the account of god loving all creatures, including the brain dead, cause here are a few gems. Or did you forget this stuff is in there.


Deut 2 2:34 And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain:

Exodus 22:24 And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

31:14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death

32:27 And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.
---------- ADS -----------
  

2low
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:17 am

Post by 2low »

I deny the existence of the Holy Spirit .
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
cloudcounter
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:14 pm
Location: Heavenly places/Down here

Post by cloudcounter »

You are already misquoting Glen - we are discussing a girl in this age - not an action 3500 years ago and command given to the Jews coming into the promised land that was ready to be destroyed after God's people waited for 400 years in Egypt for them to repent .
So if you were to start looking at biblical history correctly we may all be enlightened.
cc
Glen Quagmire wrote:Don't start quoting the bible on the account of god loving all creatures, including the brain dead, cause here are a few gems. Or did you forget this stuff is in there.


Deut 2 2:34 And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain:

Exodus 22:24 And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

31:14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death

32:27 And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Koran 5:33
The Punishment for those who oppose Allah and his messenger is : Execution or Crucifixion or the cutting off of ..snip
If Truth be not your goal,
you have achieved your gaol.

http://www.biblicalzionist.com/index.htm

User avatar
cloudcounter
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:14 pm
Location: Heavenly places/Down here

Post by cloudcounter »

That is quite understandable as the natural man cannot receive things of the Spirit!
God looks for people of faith first then gives the proof! :D
2low wrote:I deny the existence of the Holy Spirit .
---------- ADS -----------
  
Koran 5:33
The Punishment for those who oppose Allah and his messenger is : Execution or Crucifixion or the cutting off of ..snip
If Truth be not your goal,
you have achieved your gaol.

http://www.biblicalzionist.com/index.htm

2low
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:17 am

Post by 2low »

Riiiiiiight! :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2695
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: At a Tanker Base near you.
Contact:

Post by Driving Rain »

Why stop with the brain damaged? :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAW0wnj0Xi8&NR
---------- ADS -----------
  

taxiway_matthew
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:14 pm

Post by taxiway_matthew »

Just because they can no longer function at a full capacity doesn't mean they're in any way less dignified then they were while they were fully capable
---------- ADS -----------
  
Image

the_professor
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1130
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:03 pm

Post by the_professor »

taxiway_matthew wrote:Just because they can no longer function at a full capacity doesn't mean they're in any way less dignified then they were while they were fully capable
She's never been able to function at all. Can't eat, can't sit up, can't do @#$!-all. What is the point of that?

We would shoot a horse or a dog that found themselves in the same state, and yet somehow it is seen to make sense to keep a vegetable alive.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Glen Quagmire
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:32 pm
Location: YYZ

Post by Glen Quagmire »

There is a significant difference between someone who is brain damaged and someone who is brain dead. Saying someone who is brain dead is comparable to a person with a disability or a criminal is ridiculous, it's a dishonest approach to an honest question.

So cloudcounter are you saying that god is obsolete in today's society? Those passages quoted above are verbatim out of the bible and not taken out of context. Your quote is rhetorical and somewhat at odds with god's earlier view of "little ones". Can an omnipotent god be at odds with himself? Or was he simply more immature in his early "death to all but the Israelite years". Or maybe the Old Testament was written by man, who needed to justify their brutal murderous actions, it's ok to slaughter women and children if god gave me the green light right? The Old Testament is largely an embarrassment, that's why it is rarely mentioned by religious people, they stick to the universal love found in the new testament. Although a boil your water so you don't die verse would have come in handy with the love message but ah well.

Anyway here is God's view of the handicapped, fairly shocking.

(NIV)Leviticus 21:16-23 The LORD said to Moses, "Say to Aaron: 'For the generations to come none of your descendants who has a defect may come near to offer the food of his God. No man who has any defect may come near: no man who is blind or lame, disfigured or deformed; no man with a crippled foot or hand, or who is a hunchback or a dwarf, or who has any eye defect, or who has festering or running sores or damaged testicles. No descendant of Aaron the priest who has any defect is to come near to present the food offerings to the LORD. He has a defect; he must not come near to offer the food of his God. He may eat the most holy food of his God, as well as the holy food; yet because of his defect, he must not go near the curtain or approach the altar, and so desecrate my sanctuary. I am the LORD, who makes them holy.' "
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
cloudcounter
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:14 pm
Location: Heavenly places/Down here

Post by cloudcounter »

Glen,
I dont think I equated the person to disabled or criminal but I did say that we have no right to kill people who are inconvenient and God will hold all accountable who do so.
God does approve of capital punishment though which good governments do.
How can you think that I am saying God is obsolete? lol
God is alive and well and not confused as your assumptions appear to be.
He kills and makes alive and has all right to do so- it is His creation. :D
He is also the God of love and mercy but his justice demanded blood sacrifice for our rebellious act in the garden of eden that brought in the curse.
So He came down the innocent to die for the guilty and proved the payment made in full for sin by rising from the dead.
If you understand that and accept christ for it then you will have his book opened to you - untill then no go - just conjecture.
He said to another person like yourself many years ago:
''can the pot know the potter ''so who are we to critisize Him for his ways?
I love the old testament and have no problem with it because I have the key from him to understand it .
No faith- no key.
No Jesus -No peace
Know Jesus- Know Peace
So whats so shocking about not letting the unholy near the temple?
Makes sence because God will not abide sin . Nor will he abide you or anyman who does not come to Him covered by His blood instead of their rotton righteousness.
You need to talk to Jesus if you want into the club :)
untill then you are lost in the 'matrix'
cc
Glen Quagmire wrote:There is a significant difference between someone who is brain damaged and someone who is brain dead. Saying someone who is brain dead is comparable to a person with a disability or a criminal is ridiculous, it's a dishonest approach to an honest question.

So cloudcounter are you saying that god is obsolete in today's society? Those passages quoted above are verbatim out of the bible and not taken out of context. Your quote is rhetorical and somewhat at odds with god's earlier view of "little ones". Can an omnipotent god be at odds with himself? Or was he simply more immature in his early "death to all but the Israelite years". Or maybe the Old Testament was written by man, who needed to justify their brutal murderous actions, it's ok to slaughter women and children if god gave me the green light right? The Old Testament is largely an embarrassment, that's why it is rarely mentioned by religious people, they stick to the universal love found in the new testament. Although a boil your water so you don't die verse would have come in handy with the love message but ah well.

Anyway here is God's view of the handicapped, fairly shocking.

(NIV)Leviticus 21:16-23 The LORD said to Moses, "Say to Aaron: 'For the generations to come none of your descendants who has a defect may come near to offer the food of his God. No man who has any defect may come near: no man who is blind or lame, disfigured or deformed; no man with a crippled foot or hand, or who is a hunchback or a dwarf, or who has any eye defect, or who has festering or running sores or damaged testicles. No descendant of Aaron the priest who has any defect is to come near to present the food offerings to the LORD. He has a defect; he must not come near to offer the food of his God. He may eat the most holy food of his God, as well as the holy food; yet because of his defect, he must not go near the curtain or approach the altar, and so desecrate my sanctuary. I am the LORD, who makes them holy.' "
---------- ADS -----------
  
Koran 5:33
The Punishment for those who oppose Allah and his messenger is : Execution or Crucifixion or the cutting off of ..snip
If Truth be not your goal,
you have achieved your gaol.

http://www.biblicalzionist.com/index.htm

SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1483
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:18 pm
Location: CYVR

Post by SkyWolfe »

I have known two people in this situation, but they could utter a few words... you know what those words were? Please kill me.

In that state, I hope someone that cares about me enough will smother me.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Locked

Return to “The Water Cooler”