Windows Vista

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Golden Flyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Windows Vista

Post by Golden Flyer »

Since this new operating system is out, I guess XP is out of date. Did anyone get one? Is the upgrade worth it?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... fault.mspx
---------- ADS -----------

"Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible"

Edward Vernon Rickenbacker

All Pilots & Prospective Pilots Should Have Read:
http://walter.freefuelforever.com
Walter Gilles
Emirates: B-777
CCnCoke
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CCnCoke »

XP Out of date within 48 hours of Vista's release??? I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot stick of 64MB RAM until SP1 is released. Why @#$! around.

Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Brewguy »

Stay as far away from Vista as possible - for as long as possible!

Sooner or later, MS will force people to upgrade, when they stop supporting older versions such as XP. Until then, it is not worth it. There is nothing earth-shatteringly new about Vista, other than some Mac-style eye candy and half-ass attempts at some common *nix features.

Now, I've only played around with the Beta version - so I guess it's possible that the release candidate version will have some additional changes. But from what I saw on the Beta ... there is nothing in it to justify the additional system resources this bloated piece of garbage requires (to match its bloated price tag).

If you have to have a Microsoft operating system, stick with Windows XP (or whatever you have).

.........And of course, I have to say it: Mac & Linux are both great alternatives.

Cheers,
Brew
Bookem Lou
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bookem Lou »

A lot if not most of the programs that run on XP do not run on Vista so you will be required to upgrade your software as well. I'd stay away from it until you no longer have a choice.

gr8gazu
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by gr8gazu »

del

Last edited by gr8gazu on Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Walker »

lol oh really? I ONLY opperate pirated software, I have never bought a CD or DVD in my life and the ONLY piece of software I ever bought was when I was in JR High and I bought "Pathways into Darkness" (which was the great great great great grandfather of Halo)

Yes it requieres validation, however like all MS crap im sure theres a 45 second walkaround,

JakeYYZ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JakeYYZ »

Page 6 item 13 of the EULA
http://download.microsoft.com/documents ... ddb153.pdf
If you choose to purchase an upgrade version of Windows Vista to upgrade XP,
you will no longer be able to use that version of XP.Either on another system,
or as a dual-boot option. The key will be invalidated, preventing activation.
How do you like it so far?

Walker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Walker »

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

I got a copy dumped on my desk at work today... install and test our software on this I am told.... that was 0900 it is currently 11:43 and Vista just booted for the first time... 2:43 for an install not bad at all.. Still don't know if our software works on it!

goates
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by goates »

Unless you need to run a DX10 game or play Blu-ray or HD-DVD movies at full resolution, there isn't really much in Vista for the majority of people. Not to mention all of the activation crap they've added.

Vista, and XP now too, check your system to make sure it's not pirated before installing updates and some MS software. It won't stop you from running pirated versions of Photoshop. On the other hand if you really don't want to pay for software, there are plenty of free options out there that will likely do what you need.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Microsoft keeps delivering the pain. Maybe it's time to move on:

Last edited by 5x5 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Brewguy »

200hr Wonder wrote:...2:43 for an install not bad at all...
:shock: You have GOT to be kidding me!!! 2Hrs 43min for an install is "not bad"? Good god!

The longest installation of any Linux operating system I've tried (and I have tested out many) has been approx. 25 minutes. Man, you've been severely conditioned by MS and their crap ways, if you think that is in any way an acceptable amount of time for installing an OS - never mind "not bad".

Edit:
p.s. There is no need to run the risk of using priated software. Whatever it is that you need software for, there is probably an Open Source program that will do what you need.

Cheers,
Brew
cloudcounter
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cloudcounter »

The Vista Gates has is to keep his drones working patches and his customers on a tread mill :(

Koran 5:33
The Punishment for those who oppose Allah and his messenger is : Execution or Crucifixion or the cutting off of ..snip
If Truth be not your goal,
you have achieved your gaol.

http://www.biblicalzionist.com/index.htm
CarbIce
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CarbIce »

I've been using VISTA since the busines final release back in November.. Work gives me an MSDN subscription so its all free. Vista is OK but really just XP with some new bells and whistles and a half baked security 'upgrade' As far as I can see it simply asks you to allow spawned or uncertified apps to run.

Compatiability wise, I've had a couple software problems, and a few of my devices don't work and Im just waiting for driver updates. Initially had trouble with my Garmin Mapsource app, but reinstalled and run 'As Administrator' in compatiability mode and its fine now. Most software issues Ive encountered can be fixed by running this way.

Had trouble with the XP Upgrade - it left a ton of crap files all over the filesystem, but the clean install is nice... took only 45min.

If you want to spend your money, go to Office 2007... very slick! :)

Golden Flyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Mom choose "upgrade" on "pirated software&quo

Post by Golden Flyer »

Well, my mother does not know how to do anything on the computer. I've been teaching her a bit and getting her to go on more often to get a hang of it. She started using it more, so I made her a seperate account (there are nude photos of my ex all over and a whole bunch of crap, which I don't want to get rid of.) Her account type is administrative and it asked her if she wanted to do various upgrades and she did. Well, my XP is pirated, so various programs on the computer is just screwed! I think I might get her to purchase a full running version of Vista, with all the programs (not the upgrade) since I am now in need of a new running system with all the programs....

"Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible"

Walter Gilles
Golden Flyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Golden Flyer »

double

Walter Gilles
Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

CarbIce wrote:
If you want to spend your money, go to Office 2007... very slick! :)
I've been running this for a few weeks and I'm starting to like it. Takes some getting used too but it is a killer office suite. I'm also liking IE7. I didn't like it at first but now I use it alot more then firefox. I find firefox crashes way too much and is a dirty memory hog.

Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Louis »

JakeYYZ wrote:Page 6 item 13 of the EULA
http://download.microsoft.com/documents ... ddb153.pdf
If you choose to purchase an upgrade version of Windows Vista to upgrade XP,
you will no longer be able to use that version of XP.Either on another system,
or as a dual-boot option. The key will be invalidated, preventing activation.
How do you like it so far?
Was considering ordering upgrade disk, and running in dual boot with XP MCE.

Given dual boot is out, I might still get the disk (as the offer itself expires in March) but wait until I have no choice to upgrade, and in any case, not before they get their act together somewhat.

Another thing that I dislike about the whole Vista deal is that the express upgrade program offers no path to the "Ultimate" edition, which is the one I'd like, instead of "Home Premium".

Also, could someone tell me if the upgrade disks let you choose between the 32 and 64 bit versions? 64 bit is the main reason (once a couple of issues are solved) I have for an eventual upgrade.

I was actually thinking of a triple boot setup: XP MCE (Already set up and it works), Vista x86 and Vista x64. Being denied this possibility because of activation/licencing shenanigans is one more argument for me to dual boot with Linux instead.

Goodbye,

Louis

JakeYYZ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JakeYYZ »

All vista disks contain both 32 and 64 bit versions, but you must choose
which to install…one license ….one install.
I’ve been fooling around with Ubuntu 6.10 and I’m beginning to feel comfortable
with it. Star Office is very much the equal to MS Office 2003. If I can find an equivalent
to MS Dynamics and Symantec Win Fax, I’m gone.

Golden Flyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Golden Flyer »

So is Vista just an upgrade system or can you get a full package (equipped with all new software/program) to replace whatever is on your computer?

Walter Gilles

Return to “The Water Cooler”