Incompetent Captain

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

wha happen
Rank 8
Rank 8

Incompetent Captain

Post by wha happen »

Just curious as to how many of you out there have flown with or are currently flying with a captain that has no idea what the hell is going on. And you ask yourself everyday how in the hell this guy passed his ride.
---------- ADS -----------

Its the way she goes boys, its the way she goes.

Lets sacrifice him to the crops.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

whew....I thought this was a thread about me

But..To be fair. how about a thread asking captains out there who have flown with a completely incompetent, ego inflated, brain dead FO?
Seems there is a lot of focus on bashing captains.

gr8gazu
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by gr8gazu »

I guess it all depends on where you are. I am sure there are more than a few light twin Captains that are operating at or beyond their capability. By the time time some one is Captain of a jet aircraft, he/she will have had plenty of exposure to decision making, training and SOP's to complete the job in an adequate manner.

I have seen plenty of people that are great bizjet guys fail miserably at the airlines as well as vice versa. If someone is in a job that does not fit their skillset, it will show. It doesn't mean they are incompetent, it just means they are in the wrong job.

BTW, Crewing an aircraft is just that. The FO has to accept some responsibility for crew failure. It isn't always the Captain. That may just be the FO's perception.

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

Definetly. The captain didn't know shit and always thought he was the man. But that was back when I used to do single-pilot work ;)

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
Snowgoose
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Incompetent Captain

Post by Snowgoose »

wha happen wrote:Just curious as to how many of you out there have flown with or are currently flying with a captain that has no idea what the hell is going on. And you ask yourself everyday how in the hell this guy passed his ride.
I agree with other comments about some personalities that just don't mix. I've also flown with complete shit heads. Whatever. It sucked when it happened but now I look back and laugh.

The lesson to take from this is when you go captain you know who not to model you leadership style after. Take your good captains mix them together and make that your style.

It's better to break ground and head into the wind than to break wind and head into the ground.

Return to “The Water Cooler”