Conrad Black

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Guilty or Not Guilty?

Guilty
56%
Not Guilty
44%

Total votes: 41

flyinphil
Rank 7
Rank 7

Conrad Black

Post by flyinphil »

While it is always easy to kick the powerful at a moment of weakness, he did an awful lot for corporate aviation in Canada.

Argus/Hollinger was one of oldest continuously operated flight departments in Canada employing six or seven pilots and as many engineers. I understand they set a pretty high bar on salaries and benefits as well.

It is interesting to see how many of the founding CEO's skirt so closely to the bounds of law. I guess that is how they got there.

So, what say thee...
---------- ADS -----------

gr8gazu
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by gr8gazu »

I have a funny feeling he won't appeal to the commoner jurers. That should not have a legitimate bearing on the outcome but Blacks arrogance has been mentioned several times by the prosecutor.

I didn't know arrogance was against the law but it certainly seems to have stepped up the prosecutors vigor.

Personally, I hope Greenspan kicks ass and Black walks. Corporate governance is becoming like "political correctness". Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon because we are told it is the thing to do. Mere disclosure is sufficient. Just tell investors what you are doing and if they buy into your company, so be it. If they don't like what they hear, then don't buy shares.

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

His wife is a real pill :roll:

gr8gazu
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by gr8gazu »

hazatude wrote:His wife is a real pill :roll:
Agreed

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

The law says he is innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Even a rich man should get a fair trial .

The real criminals are those over zealous persecutors DA's whose enthusiasm done more damage to the value of the companies than was spent on advertising the sucess of a sucessful business.Some of the DA's will no doubt go another level of politics if he is found guilty.
Why is no one looking for American crooks who stole all that money from Enron.It is just blatant bigotry picking on a British Lord while the North American CEO's get off scott free from years of excess's.
Picking on a foreigner is a good smokescreen to hide the activities of North American businessmen.
What better scapegoat than one of those fucking arisocrats eh buddie

I think he is good entertainment.

This mess should have been settled behind closed doors in the boardroom and the investors would still have their investment :wink: :wink:

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

"You don't need a Harvard MBA to know that the bedroom and the boardroom are just two sides of the same ballgame.”

"Many people would no more think of entering the newspaper business than the sewage business - which at least does us all some good”

Big Blue Sky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Big Blue Sky »

... have a feeling Conrad is going to end up being someone's girlfriend in the "big-house".

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

She earned my respect when she called out the CBC reporter. It's great when people push back against the media

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

:wink: :wink:

Return to “The Water Cooler”