RCMP fatally shoot man on southeast Saskatchewan reserve

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

Guess they should have used the Taser...

14 Jun, 6:13 PM

CARLYLE, Sask. - People who live in an aboriginal community southeast of Regina say they are angry that RCMP fatally shot a man on the reserve Saturday morning.

Police said two Mounties were responding to a family fight on the White Bear First Nation near Carlyle.

The man, 21, was shot outside a home and was pronounced dead on the scene, Sgt. Carole Raymond said.

"He was armed with a knife at the time of the incident," she said.

A woman who lives on the reserve said the dead man had been attending a graduation party for Grade 12 students from the Whitebear Education Complex. It was not clear if he was a student or not.

She said residents are upset a Mountie shot the man instead of using some other means of apprehending him.

"They could have used some other kind of force or strategy. They didn't have to kill him," said the woman who declined to be named.

"People are way upset. They have got Tasers and they have got pepper spray. There could have been some other way than to shoot to kill."

The RCMP Major Crimes unit was investigating the shooting under the supervision of an officer from the Regina Police Service, Raymond said.

The name of the dead man was not released.

In a separate incident, RCMP said they were investigating the death of a 37-year-old man found on the shore of Lac La Ronge in northern Saskatchewan.

RCMP said they are treating the case as a suspicious death.
---------- ADS -----------

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: RCMP fatally shoot man on southeast Saskatchewan reserve

Post by Doc »

I'm not a cop. But, I can certainly see a way around shooting to kill, some guy with a knife. Didn't some cop in Winnipeg shoot some poor bastard armed with a screw driver? And reports on that one vary from four to six cops present at the time? Is this what they teach at the police colleges these days.
If the guy has a gun, empty the clip. But a knife? Or a screw driver?

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

They are trained to shoot for the mid section as it's the biggest (easiest) target.
That being said, RCMP have moved away from training their new officers how to talk and communicate, to pepper spray, taser or shoot if not complied with. Pretty sad really.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

Ah yes, The Untouchables was a great movie...
Malone: You said you wanted to get Capone. Do you really wanna get him? You see what I'm saying is, what are you prepared to do?
Ness: Anything within the law.
Malone: And *then* what are you prepared to do? If you open the can on these worms you must be prepared to go all the way. Because they're not gonna give up the fight, until one of you is dead.
Ness: I want to get Capone! I don't know how to do it.
Malone: You wanna know how to get Capone? They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. *That's* the *Chicago* way! And that's how you get Capone. Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that? I'm offering you a deal. Do you want this deal?

Malone: Isn't that just like a wop? Brings a knife to a gun fight.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

He didnt want to get lynched for using a taser.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

KAG, on what do you base your assertion that the RCMP have moved away from verbal tactics training?

Whether or not shooting this fellow was warranted entirely depends upon the circumstances. If he was basically standing still waving a knife about with nobody else within a 20 foot radius, and they had a taser available (most cops still don't), then tasering him would be a reasonable option. If he was moving toward the cops or threatening others nereby, then shooting him is prudent for the safety of everyone else. OC is not normally a viable option for someone armed with a knife because of its limited range. It also doesn't work that well on drunks.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I don't know about "shooting him is prudent.....", at least not to kill. At a closer range than your 20 foot example, if you can't hit a non lethal target area, you're a piss poor shot. In my book, there are far too many folks getting shot by police. If there really is no alternative, then by all means shoot. Just be sure you can answer for your decision later.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Never take a knife to a gun fight

Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

the days of the friendly local cop are over. It's all black uniforms military hardware and pain compliance. Bag em and tag em. So this is freedom... :x

That'll buff right out :rolleyes:
mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

Beat cops don't carry military hardware...

Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Please don't mistake a paper target at 25 yards with a drunken person with a knife coming towards you.

I shoot to kill. So do the police. There is no such thing as a non lethal shot/target.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

Let's hear the details before we start to lynch this officer. As someone pointed out earlier we don't know what this guy was doing with the knife. If he was coming at the cop....well....what do you expect the cop to do?

Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

A knife in the right hands is as lethal as a firearm. Before we all jump on the band wagon lets first find out what this guy was doing with the knife. If he is lunging at or moving towards someone with a knife well so be it, if you cant do the time dont do the crime. A sad ending but at least it was the guy with the knife and not the cop or an innocent bystander.

skycoupe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skycoupe »

I have been reading these threads for quite a while now, and am a little tired of the bleeding hearts.
What ever happened to respecting the uniform, or authority in general for that matter.
If you do the crime, you do the time
Even if that means the rest of eternity six feet under.
You go at a cop with anything but your hands in the air, then you deserve the consequences.

non carborundum illegitemi est
Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

In case anyone's wondering why the cops shoot first and ask questions later, read the book Duty by Julian Fantino.

Guido
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Guido »

skycoupe wrote:I have been reading these threads for quite a while now, and am a little tired of the bleeding hearts.
What ever happened to respecting the uniform, or authority in general for that matter.
You go at a cop with anything but your hands in the air, then you deserve the consequences.
This may be a tad philosophical, but authority is completely artificial. There's nothing in my mind that says I should respect a person simply because they have a badge any more than the person who sits on the street corner begging for change. Your idea of blind obedience frightens me, and explains a lot about how society has fallen to the place it's in now.

Did I just pull a Sheila? :smt040

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

I'm going to call the bullshit flag on your statement Guido.

I can see your point, but I certainly pay more respect to the older fellow walking 1/2 mile/hour on the sidewalk than the kid on a skateboard. The kid could be an honor student who just saved a cat while walking an old lady across the street, but thats the way our society is.

And likewise, %99.9 percent of those who wear a badge don't abuse their authority, and deserve our respect.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
skycoupe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skycoupe »

Guido wrote:
skycoupe wrote:I have been reading these threads for quite a while now, and am a little tired of the bleeding hearts.
This may be a tad philosophical, but authority is completely artificial. There's nothing in my mind that says I should respect a person simply because they have a badge any more than the person who sits on the street corner begging for change. Your idea of blind obedience frightens me, and explains a lot about how society has fallen to the place it's in now.

Did I just pull a Sheila? :smt040
Not sure what a Sheila is, but to reply to your statement, I believe that the fact that todays society DOESN'T have any respect or common courtesy is the reason that we have fallen as low as we have. I fail to see how having respect for authority, which is far different from blind obedience, can have a negative impact on any social group, be it any organization with an hierarchy to civilization in general.

non carborundum illegitemi est
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

So here I am standing around, minding my own business, peeling an apple, and a cop walks up and shoots me.

Hmm. I think there must be more to the story. I'm not gonna speculate.

-istp :roll:

Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

So then Guido, passengers on airliners should not have to show respect for the authority of the crew? Should I have the right to question and challenge the crew on any decision they make that I happen to disagree with at the moment? Should I be free to stand at the cockpit door and challenge the pilot's decisions? Or, should I be required to respect the authoriy and responsibility delegated to them as part of their job?

Return to “The Water Cooler”