Canadian Election Poll

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia

Who would you vote for?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:38 am

Conservative
69%
Liberal
17%
NDP
11%
Bloc
3%

Total votes: 103

Icebound
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Canadian Election Poll

Post by Icebound »

Topspin wrote:
v6g wrote: 3) Tax - despite paying a lot of it, I actually think I get relatively good value-for-money for my tax dollar and a tax-cut wouldn't be a vote-swayer for me. I'm in favour of the carbon tax as I strongly believe we need to reduce our usage of oil (although I don't particularly subscribe to any enviro-religion). I can't see any better way of encouraging reduction in oil consumption other than a revenue-neutral tax of usage. Increased fuel tax over the long term helps to ameliorate the economic pain of oil price fluctuations. Although there should be greater disparity between urban/suburban and rural areas in terms of price structures.
You actually believe that a Carbon tax will reduce consumption? You still have to heat your house, drive to work, buy things that are trucked. It's a scam.
Its hilarious that we want to believe that Harper would not bring in a carbon tax of some sort, even if the name is diffierent.

If he doesn't, then in ten years we will still be buying "our" oil... "Canadian" oil... from American, Chinese and Russian investors at THEIR prices... and buying our fossil-free energy (such as wind-turbines) from Denmark or somewhere like that... at THEIR prices. And our energy costs will REALLY be through the roof.

Even if the tax does NOT decrease consumption, it will provide a fund which Canada can use to target at creating a sustainable energy future. Otherwise, we simply use up the oil with no plan beyond, whatsoever.

Harper's policies are consistently short-term with absolutely no plan for the future...

For example:
Topspin wrote:
v6g wrote:
4) Protecting/Claiming Canada's northern resources in the Arctic. There's a lot of opportunity up there, much of it is rightly ours. I'm not convinced the liberals have the balls to properly claim it.
I would question whether the liberals have the balls yes, but it is without question that the liberals under stephanie dianne willmost certainly not.
But of course neither does Harper.... He pretends do, but rather than use the 2-cents of GST to build up a northern presence, he chose to return it to us so that we can drive up the price of beer and gas.

He could have used that money for anything.... northern presence.... restoring our roads and bridges.... sprucing up our cities.... investing in clean energy... He has no ideas, so he did nothing.

Yes, if you want another penny in your pocket tomorrow, vote Harper.... You and your kids may remember your choice in ten years or so after our infrastructure is in shambles.

Conservatives make much of a carbon tax being bad for unity.... well, duh, of course Alberta's oil barons and their lobbyists in government are going to be angry.... but I am not so sure that the working single mother who is part of that Province's increasing-population-below-the-poverty-line will agree with them.

---------- ADS -----------

Topspin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Topspin »

Icebound wrote:
Topspin wrote:
v6g wrote: 3) Tax - despite paying a lot of it, I actually think I get relatively good value-for-money for my tax dollar and a tax-cut wouldn't be a vote-swayer for me. I'm in favour of the carbon tax as I strongly believe we need to reduce our usage of oil (although I don't particularly subscribe to any enviro-religion). I can't see any better way of encouraging reduction in oil consumption other than a revenue-neutral tax of usage. Increased fuel tax over the long term helps to ameliorate the economic pain of oil price fluctuations. Although there should be greater disparity between urban/suburban and rural areas in terms of price structures.
You actually believe that a Carbon tax will reduce consumption? You still have to heat your house, drive to work, buy things that are trucked. It's a scam.
Its hilarious that we want to believe that Harper would not bring in a carbon tax of some sort, even if the name is diffierent.

If he doesn't, then in ten years we will still be buying "our" oil... "Canadian" oil... from American, Chinese and Russian investors at THEIR prices... and buying our fossil-free energy (such as wind-turbines) from Denmark or somewhere like that... at THEIR prices. And our energy costs will REALLY be through the roof.

Even if the tax does NOT decrease consumption, it will provide a fund which Canada can use to target at creating a sustainable energy future. Otherwise, we simply use up the oil with no plan beyond, whatsoever.

Harper's policies are consistently short-term with absolutely no plan for the future...

For example:
Topspin wrote:
v6g wrote:
4) Protecting/Claiming Canada's northern resources in the Arctic. There's a lot of opportunity up there, much of it is rightly ours. I'm not convinced the liberals have the balls to properly claim it.
I would question whether the liberals have the balls yes, but it is without question that the liberals under stephanie dianne willmost certainly not.
But of course neither does Harper.... He pretends do, but rather than use the 2-cents of GST to build up a northern presence, he chose to return it to us so that we can drive up the price of beer and gas.

He could have used that money for anything.... northern presence.... restoring our roads and bridges.... sprucing up our cities.... investing in clean energy... He has no ideas, so he did nothing.

Yes, if you want another penny in your pocket tomorrow, vote Harper.... You and your kids may remember your choice in ten years or so after our infrastructure is in shambles.

Conservatives make much of a carbon tax being bad for unity.... well, duh, of course Alberta's oil barons and their lobbyists in government are going to be angry.... but I am not so sure that the working single mother who is part of that Province's increasing-population-below-the-poverty-line will agree with them.

I'm not going to vote harper because I believe what he says, and promoting harper wasn't my intent with the above posts.

I am going to vote harper because of the two choices, he represents the likely least financial mismanagement of my money. The one thing I want out of government is to make less of themselves, there is a core of essential services that we require. In Canada this represents, oh I don't know about 20%.

It is the lesser of the two evils.

brownbear
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brownbear »

canwhitewolf wrote:CBC had a program last night about the chap (emery) in BC who sells maryjane seeds and america wants him deported to stand trial in the usa, since when do we allow an american Govt organization like the DEA to have offices in this country? thats outrageous. If given trial in the USA he will face life imprisonment... thats insane,

we need a patriotic knowledgeable PM in this country real quick and it sure isnt Harper

our politicians should put a halt to that immediately, its an invasion of our sovereignty

It has nothing to do with sovereignty. He is selling seeds which is an offense(crime) in another country. He broke a law there. Just because your a citizen of another country it doesn't make you safe from justice of where you commit those crimes.

He chose to sell those seeds to the US customers.

Don't be disgruntled....move on!
YoungPunk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YoungPunk »

. wrote:Oops should have put the green or other party option in there.
Prolly vote fer these guys, depends on my local rep. We've had some.. "interesting" ones. :rolleyes:

Hedley wrote:Actually, it's hard to argue that Airport Security doesn't work.
Since 9/11, not one pilot has hijacked his own aircraft with his tweezers.
alctel
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by alctel »

Topspin wrote: I'm not going to vote harper because I believe what he says, and promoting harper wasn't my intent with the above posts.

I am going to vote harper because of the two choices, he represents the likely least financial mismanagement of my money. The one thing I want out of government is to make less of themselves, there is a core of essential services that we require. In Canada this represents, oh I don't know about 20%.

If having marginally 'more money in your pocket' is more important to you at the end of the day then vote for harper, and watch as the social security, energy independance, health service, enviromental and education programs all get trimmed down and/or trashed. Not to mentioned privatising stuff like the Transport Canada safety inspections (which is happening RIGHT NOW).

Harpers pitch is short-sighted in the extreme and will gut the infrastructure of the country while making the corperations richer - he still subscribes to the rediculous neo-con theory of 'trickle-down economics' and 'f%&% you - got mine'. Not to mention his extreme right wing views.

He's trying to get people to vote for him by saying the liberals will steal all your money, and it seems to be working, sadly.

Heres hoping for a minority government.

edit: although I don't mind Dion, and agree with many of his policies, I think he is a terrible leader. I'll be voting for the NDP.

Topspin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Topspin »

alctel wrote:
Topspin wrote: I'm not going to vote harper because I believe what he says, and promoting harper wasn't my intent with the above posts.

If having marginally 'more money in your pocket' is more important to you at the end of the day then vote for harper, and watch as the social security, energy independance, health service, enviromental and education programs all get trimmed down and/or trashed. Not to mentioned privatising stuff like the Transport Canada safety inspections (which is happening RIGHT NOW).

Harpers pitch is short-sighted in the extreme and will gut the infrastructure of the country while making the corperations richer - he still subscribes to the rediculous neo-con theory of 'trickle-down economics' and 'f%&% you - got mine'. Not to mention his extreme right wing views.

He's trying to get people to vote for him by saying the liberals will steal all your money, and it seems to be working, sadly.

Heres hoping for a minority government.

edit: although I don't mind Dion, and agree with many of his policies, I think he is a terrible leader. I'll be voting for the NDP.

#1) How many recorded times in history has a politician kept an election promise?
#2) How many times in history has a long term plan made it through more than one administration?

Long term plan = not going to come to fruition = waste of money in the short term.
It sucks, but please prove me wrong.

BibleMonkey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by BibleMonkey »

Topspin wrote:#1) How many recorded times in history has a politician kept an election promise?
I'd say ....1976-Jimmy Carter would be the closest....

Topspin wrote:#2) How many times in history has a long term plan made it through more than one administration?
...yeah, point taken; only semi related to your point, because a single policy is more often discarded than followed by sequential administrations, but mildly interesting-MacCain has blown the dust off and reading what is really Jimmy Carters 1977 energy Policy and people are clapping.....
But -sorry about that-this is about Canadian politics....

I would encourage everyone to hold their nose and vote strategically for whatever Party in your region in a way that is most likely to cause a minority government. A minority government can't do anything too crazy-and can still get things done-e.g Lester Pearsons' minority government......

===

A minority government can't do anything too crazy-AND when Mom and dad are too busy arguing ( the opposing parties in Parliament ) the kids ( us taxpayers ) are more likely to get ice cream than have a more powerful Dad ( majority government ) cut our allowance ( steal our money ) and boss us around.

In a minority government , government works as it should-with the government afraid of the people-rather than the other way around.

Return to “The Water Cooler”