AMERICAN BASHING ON AVCAN

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

V2-OMG!
Rank 3
Rank 3

AMERICAN BASHING ON AVCAN

Post by V2-OMG! »

I have an American friend who could lend much to this site. His logbook is fillled with some of the greatest aircraft you can only dream of flying: The A4 Skyhawk in Vietnam; the DC-3 and 6; the Constellation; the Northstar; the Boeing 707; the stretch DC-8, and some of the legendary single-engine civilian and military aircraft like the F4U Corsair. If you haven't heard of the Corsair, look it up. When he explained what it was like sitting in the cockpit of that incredible machine, the hair literally stood up on the back of my neck.

However, due to the pervasive anti-American comment here, how could I possibly invite his participation?

Whatever happened to the spirit of international airmanship? Wasn't it Lord Swinton who said "We want the air to unite the peoples, and not to divide them"?

What a collective loss.
---------- ADS -----------

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: AMERICAN BASHING ON AVCAN

Post by Four1oh »

IMHO, the Corsair is the most gorgeous aircraft of WWII. Followed closely by the later model Mustangs. It would be good to hear some more American's pipe up and put the jackasses in place who seem to think they can get away with bashing the best ally we have. Not to mention our bread and butter(#1 Trading partner, and the home of Phoenix, AZ!)

Invite him, but warn him. If he's internet savvy already, this place will be a walk in the park for him.

Drinking outside the box.
Topspin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Topspin »

It's not just Avcan, some days it seems to be Canada's national pastime. I mean it seems like people think our neighbors to the south are aliens from another planet or something.
Not just the spirit of international airmanship, what happened to being friendly neighbors?

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

It's not that I so much dislike Americans... it's I dislike people who are living in the States.

Jokes... invite him.

...and remember, we probably take as much, or more abuse from the yanks than we give to them. I think it is they who need to be more open.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

NOT UNTIL THEY APOLOGIZE FOR PAULEY SHORE!

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

um, Celine? nuff said. ;)

Drinking outside the box.
Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

Why would anyone want to be involved in a forum where he would be spit on because he is an American?

Having just finished a three week trip down east half of which was flown in the USA the difference in the culture is best judged by the service we received at every American airport we landed at, in the USA we were made to feel important as customers...in Canada we generally were ignored as service seems to not be in the Canadian language.

The cost of most everything was far less...must be something to do with the taxes?

Oh...VFR flying in the USA is really well served by their ATC.

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I don't bash Americans, just their government. Just like I (and just about everyone else here) bashes the Canadian government.

Presidential hopeful John McCain got shot down in an A4 and W spent his early career avoiding flight in an F-102. Doesn't make me like them any more.

., I guess you weren't down there for the controller's strike a while back :wink:

But invite your friend. We can always use more guys like him. Just the other day I was shooting the shit with an American Airlines ex US Navy pilot and it was great. Didn't talk politics, just flying. :smt040

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Sasquash
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sasquash »

. is right, service tends to be better in the States. Although, I admit I have to get down to Hamilton and check that Haz guy one of these days......

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

Funny, I just came back from a trip to Prague, czech republic. Met some english speaking people while walking around one of the many tourists areas and asked them where they are from. Canada they say. Then in a quieter voice, well we are actually Americans but we find we get treated nicer if we say we are Canadian. So even they bash themselves.

Lloyd Christmas
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lloyd Christmas »

I agree with . aswell. I find I get far better treatment & customer service from Americans than I do Canadians. I really enjoy working in the US for this reason alone, and all my co-workers feel the same way. I think some Canadians need to spend more time working on their manners and customer service skills rather than bashing other Americans.

PS Anyone see the W-5 episode with William Shatener as narrator last week, it was called something like" where the hell did all the manners go?"

Lloyd

Sir, You can't go in there!
It's OK.....I'm a limo driver!
Greg87
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Greg87 »

Well we're talking about manners, how about not bashing all Canadian rampies?

I personally find a lot of cultural diferences between Canadians and Americans, but then I also find differences between being from Southern Ontario and people from other parts of Canada. I'll admit I'm guilty of making the occasional joke at the expense of Americans, but at the same time I make jokes about Canadians, even make fun of myself on a fairly regular basis. I don't think it's too bad on here that you should be embarassed to invite your friend here.

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

I've had nothing but warm reception from all the Yank's I've met.

I don't go tell the world that I was born in Canada, but when it finally comes up that I was a citizen for many years, they always tell me how beautiful it is, and the many fishing/hunting adventures they would take.

That, or coming across the border so they could drink and hit the strip clubs a 18/19.

Of course this all goes out the window during a game of football. Don't worry, I talk crap with the best of them, and back it up of course.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
sugarfree
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sugarfree »

Same people who bash and discriminate against"Americains" are the first yelling out for "politically correct terminology"

Yeah bring him in, sure would love to hear some his stories.

SF./

Lloyd Christmas
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lloyd Christmas »

Greg87 wrote:Well we're talking about manners, how about not bashing all Canadian rampies?

I personally find a lot of cultural diferences between Canadians and Americans, but then I also find differences between being from Southern Ontario and people from other parts of Canada. I'll admit I'm guilty of making the occasional joke at the expense of Americans, but at the same time I make jokes about Canadians, even make fun of myself on a fairly regular basis. I don't think it's too bad on here that you should be embarassed to invite your friend here.
Greg87,

Not sure if your opening line was towards my reply or not? If so, you've misunderstood what I tried to say. My "opinion" regarding Americans and my experiences with them is not only regarding the aviation industry, but also many others, the hotel, restaurant, FB0's...the list goes on. I was in no way was bashing Canadian Rampies, how you got that I don't know? Hope I didn't misunderstand your reply.

Cheers, Lloyd

Sir, You can't go in there!
It's OK.....I'm a limo driver!
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Good point about customer service. The Yanks have it all over us in that department. I hit Duluth MN last week to get measured for a new one piece riding suit. The folks at Aerostich sent two hours with me, making sure everything was "just right". I've NEVER had service like that in Canada. I had my Harley break down in some one dog town in WI on a Saturday afternoon ten minutes before closing time. They worked till 10:00 on the bike, and got my problem all sorted out. The bike had been out of warranty for two months. They ignored that fact. The Winnipeg dealer where I bought the bike basically had told me to "pound sand" only two weeks previously with another problem.
By all means get your buddy to sign on here. We'd love to hear from him!

F,D and H
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by F,D and H »

There are a couple of "American" words that get lost in translation up here.

For example you say: "Thank you"
Typical Canadian responds: "Yip"

See in America (where all of those supposed rude assholes are) the typical response would be "your welcome"

It is understandable though as most Canadians rarely hear "Thank you". That being said, I don't understand how they can misinterpret it as being a question.

The same goes for all of the ridiculous anti Toronto sentiment displayed here. They watch "This hour" or "Air Farce" and get little snippets on Toronto or the US and take it to the bank. They've been told...Oooga USA is asshole...boooga Toronto have gangs... I'd be willing to bet that most that spout this garbage very rarely fly into the states or spend any real time in T.O.

I'm surprised that the knuckle draggers haven't gotten to the Italians....or the Irish yet...sheech

SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SkyWolfe »

Sometimes I forget I live in Canada...

Wild Cat
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Wild Cat »

F,D and H
you are bang on!

Also if I may say, I dont think people do as much bashing to america as america does to the world (in all sense). Also I've been told that I hate americans. WRONG. I dont hate americans, i just hate the american government with an absolute passion.
and no i'm not a liberal :rolleyes:

Your One Darn Good Pilot
V2-OMG!
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V2-OMG! »

Thanks for your messages; I will pass them on.

One thing my friend told me is this: Take a look at the captain's throttles on the Northstar (which he flew).
http://projectnorthstar.ca/gallery/albu ... it1949.jpg

Do you know why the left-seat throttles are higher?

When the flight crew was testing the Northstar prototype. the design engineers were also there. The captain, with his hands on the throttle, said "Give me another inch" (what he meant was another inch of manifold pressure) but the engineers thought he meant his throttles should be 1" higher!

Return to “The Water Cooler”