Stephan Harper Criticism

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Topspin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Stephan Harper Criticism

Post by Topspin »

Reading about Stephan Harper I haven't been able to find anything that is really wrong. I mean I know politician have a tendency to stick their hand in the honey jar from time to time, but he really doesn't appear to have been that bad.
Yet somehow he has this massive following of people convinced that he is the worst thing to happen to Canada since John Diefenbaker.
So folks, please post the bad stuff, I'd like to hear it if there is any.
---------- ADS -----------

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Stephan Harper Criticism

Post by niss »

I heard he uses the blood of gentile children in his bizzare passover feast.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

I always admired his slaughtering of income trusts,
especially after he said he would never touch
them :roll:

Stephen Harper, like Richard Nixon, is a very intelligent
man, who learned an awful lot when he was in opposition
from Jean Cretin and Paul Martian about how to stay in
power. You can see him apply the lessons he learned
pretty much every day.

Also - and this is not a change of topic - I do not like
how governments perpetually over-tax, and then
criminally spend that money to buy votes when it
comes to election time. Re-read above paragraph.

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

He did flip on income trusts adn equalization. However I think both decisions were the right ones. I would rather a politician flip on an issue then do something that is bad for the country. Being in opposition is considerably different than being in government. I would not expect Dion to follow thru with every statement he has made either.

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

He did flip on income trusts
Worse than that, his solution to the situation was
atrociously brutal.

TheCheez
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by TheCheez »

It's the lego hair.

bornagain1340
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bornagain1340 »

Imagine that, a politician that doesn't keep his/her word :shock:

Guido
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Guido »

cpl_atc wrote:
bornagain1340 wrote:Imagine that, a politician that doesn't keep his/her word :shock:

The Conservatives have delivered on all five of their main campaign promises from the 2006 election campaign.

With the exception of the income trust decision, they did everything they said they were going to do. And anyone who thought they were going to leave income trusts untouched was deluding themselves. We'd all be fucked as individuals if they hadn't done something about it.

What federal government in the past has delivered on their promises like that? Have fun looking, because you won't find one.

Some people may not like Harper, but he did what he said he was going to do. You can't ask much more of a politician.
For those of us that don't like him, that's the problem ;) I knew he'd do what he said he was going to do (which indeed is admirable from a politician) but I don't like what he's done, and I don't like what he wants to do in the future...

Topspin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Topspin »

Guido wrote:
cpl_atc wrote:
bornagain1340 wrote:Imagine that, a politician that doesn't keep his/her word :shock:

The Conservatives have delivered on all five of their main campaign promises from the 2006 election campaign.

With the exception of the income trust decision, they did everything they said they were going to do. And anyone who thought they were going to leave income trusts untouched was deluding themselves. We'd all be fucked as individuals if they hadn't done something about it.

What federal government in the past has delivered on their promises like that? Have fun looking, because you won't find one.

Some people may not like Harper, but he did what he said he was going to do. You can't ask much more of a politician.
For those of us that don't like him, that's the problem ;) I knew he'd do what he said he was going to do (which indeed is admirable from a politician) but I don't like what he's done, and I don't like what he wants to do in the future...
I guess that's it? I mean theirs all these people talking about super secret government, corporate deals & the 51st state. I naturally take it with a grain of salt, but usually these people have something to go on. I just can't find it with this though.

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

The FIRST thing Martian and Goodale were going to do when 're-elected' as the government was to do exactly what Harper did with income trusts. As far as I'm concerned it had to be done, and I'm glad it was done, it's just too bad that some of the babies got thrown out with the bath water, but the system was getting seriously abused.

Drinking outside the box.
BibleMonkey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by BibleMonkey »

Topspin wrote:I guess that's it? I mean theirs all these people talking about super secret government, corporate deals & the 51st state. I naturally take it with a grain of salt, but usually these people have something to go on. I just can't find it with this though.
It's not really secret-all of it anyway-but in a general sense corporations are being allowed to write laws-rather than what we think should happen ( I hope we think that way ) -that the people have a voice -in electing dudes to make law.

E.G-How much pesticide should be allowed on food-should we increase that amount to the amount allowed in the United States? What should the oil royalty rate be? Should the governmnet be allowed to sell health care or car insurance ? Should Canada have adopted the U.S no fly list?

Should the voters decide-or should a group of 30 un-appointed, unelected company CEOs from the largest corps in North America decide?

Should Canada's laws be 'harmonized' with American law-and profit be the only decider?

That's some of the reasons they were tear gassing people at Montebello last year...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Amer ... ss_Council

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_a ... th_America

Icebound
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Icebound »

Topspin wrote:Reading about Stephan Harper I haven't been able to find anything that is really wrong. I mean I know politician have a tendency to stick their hand in the honey jar from time to time, but he really doesn't appear to have been that bad.
Yet somehow he has this massive following of people convinced that he is the worst thing to happen to Canada since John Diefenbaker.
Did you get to THIS?

http://www.policyalternatives.ca/Report ... a=BB736455

It ought to give you one or two reasons.

Topspin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Topspin »

Icebound wrote:
Topspin wrote:Reading about Stephan Harper I haven't been able to find anything that is really wrong. I mean I know politician have a tendency to stick their hand in the honey jar from time to time, but he really doesn't appear to have been that bad.
Did you get to THIS?

http://www.policyalternatives.ca/Report ... a=BB736455

It ought to give you one or two reasons.

Interesting reading, some good stuff in there. But on the whole are you certain Michael Moore didn't right it? They get a little carried away in places for people that give you two pages describing how non-partisan they are.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

cpl_atc wrote:

And what will happen once he has the majority and he is free to rule the roost? Harper may be a decent PM in a minority gov't where it can all be taken away but I have a feeling we will be seeing quite a different man once he locks in on power. Why is he being so secretive? What does he want us to not find out?

I personally think they are trying the old Trojan-new-conservative-platform manouver.

You let your guard down, bring them in and the next thing you know ultra right wing nutcases come out and slaughter your way of life.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Icebound
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Icebound »

[

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Never figured you for the strong, silent type! :P

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

niss wrote:
cpl_atc wrote:

And what will happen once he has the majority and he is free to rule the roost? Harper may be a decent PM in a minority gov't where it can all be taken away but I have a feeling we will be seeing quite a different man once he locks in on power. Why is he being so secretive? What does he want us to not find out?

I personally think they are trying the old Trojan-new-conservative-platform manouver.

You let your guard down, bring them in and the next thing you know ultra right wing nutcases come out and slaughter your way of life.
You always have the option of booting him out the door in the next election if this super secret agenda surfaces. Unless you think he will do away with elections all together.

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
PopnChipper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PopnChipper »

I took this quote off of the website posted about "The Harper Records".

"We need the CCPA to remind us that our dreams of a decent, egalitarian society are reasonable — indeed that with a little work, they are practical. And I love that practicality, that protection of the dream of the possible.” - Naomi Klein Speaking at a 2007 CCPA http://www.policyalternatives.ca/welcome/index.cfm

When you do a little exploring around it, I think you will find that it is hardly an unbiased site concerned with informing Canadians of the whole truth, nothing but the truth, etc. I doubt you would find such a site.

IMHO, if you are indeed voting for the national leader, and not your local choices, the liberals tend to be all about spending initiatives, while the conservatives seem to be more about a sound financial footing for Canada. The liberals would like to see environmental action taken in questionable ways, while the conservatives would like to take a more restrained approach, and hopefully see technollogy and "free market" initiative come up with practical solutions. There are plenty of other reasons each party would like to be in power, and to be honest, their websites normally outline what they are all about. I would stay far away from believing secret agenda type rhetoric, the conspiracy theorists are alive and well in Canada.

Just my 2 cents

cisco
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cisco »

problem with Harper is that he delivers on promises:
- promise to cut services, cut taxes, eliminate surplus, reward polluters, fuel inflation, do nothing to build strong society, look too much like republicans

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Harper can't play pool as well as Smilin' Jack.

I guarantee it.

I had a beer with Jack back before he was leader of the NDP, and we talked about real politics and real life. He has a good head on his shoulders and there was no sense of him bullshitting me like many other politicians I've met.

Harper doesn't drink.

-istp :partyman:

Return to “The Water Cooler”