Ipod Touch and Consumer Reports

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

PopnChipper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Ipod Touch and Consumer Reports

Post by PopnChipper »

I am in need of a new MP3 player, and have heard some really good things about the Ipod touch. I have never owned an Ipod, so for those of you out there who have, what do you think? Do you have any good websites for consumer goods reports and reviews?

Thanks in advance,

PnC
---------- ADS -----------

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Ipod Touch and Consumer Reports

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

I've got a few friends with the Ipod touch and they are quite pleased with it. Myself, I swear by the Ipod shuffle for outdoors activities (just had mine internally waterproofed for kayaking and mountain biking). My first shuffle survived 2 hurricanes and a trip through the washing machine but eventually the USB contacts gave out after 6 years of hard abuse.

I have found the apple products to be extremely durable, reliable and user friendly. Itunes is the only way to organize and find new music in my opinion. As far as online reviews go, I usually check www.cnet.com for those kinds of things.

Fine tuning.

C-FKLY
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FKLY »

I shied away from the touch because I like having a clean screen, and the grease factor on a touch is just horrendous. And the fact that it's a touch screen makes it so bloody expensive for what you're getting. So for the same price as an 8Gb iPod touch, I got an 80Gb iPod Classic. They only sell the classics in a 120Gb format now, so space will never be an issue, and durability/dependability has been great.

If you don't need so much space, you can get an 8Gb Nano in your choice of 9 colours for $170. My opinion is the Touch is overrated, and unless you're keen for features like internet and iPod Bowling, the Touch isn't worth the extra money.

Cessna 182 | C-FKLY
BibleMonkey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by BibleMonkey »

I pods are the work of the devil.

You should be spending your spare time reading the Bible, and reflecting on how you have sinned, and those you have harmed, that day.

Divine reflection is blocked by the I-pod Satans static in your ear pieces....

*The first 100 souls to send $4.95 to my new Church for more literature on "Ipod is the Devil" will receive a free whittling stick*

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I've had my Nano for three years and it is still going strong. The only complaint is how easy the thing got scratched (big complaint about the 1st gen Nanos, might not be an issue now). I think the touch screen would drive me nuts.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

I for one poo poo the iPod because of the pain in the ass iTunes and DRM associated with it. Crash your computer? Too bad loose all your songs? Forget to "remove the license" before restoring windows? So sad loose all your songs. Want to listen to your music on more than 2 computers? Too bad can't do that! Want to share a song with a friend? Oh NOS YOUR PIRATE YOU MUST BE PUNISHED HISSSSSSSSSSSSS.

For the DRM HORSE SHIT I shall NEVER own an iPod EVER. Period Full Stop!

I have had a few good MP3 players over the years. So a few things to consider:

How hard are you on your MP3 player? Kinda hard get a flash based one, they will take abuse much better than one with a hard drive in it.

Really really hard get a cheap $80 one so when you drop it in the lake, step on it, run over it on the bike, drop it off the roof, have it fly out of the window at 3000' etc. it does not hurt that bad.

Anything but a iPod oh and Zune is the devil as well.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
BoostedNihilist

Post by BoostedNihilist »

I have had more than one (hundred) or so ipods come across the bench with broken shit inside.

They are delicate pieces. The shuffle as mentioned is probably the best choice if you actually plan on daily somewhat industrial use. That is, if you can handle Itunes.

If I were in the market for a new mp3 player I would probably take a look at the new xfi stuff from creative. I have a zen and though it doesn't flash like an ipod I can still share my music and it has a handy sd expansion slot to augment its small amount of internal storage. I like having SD cards full of shit because when you're 'out and about' and you need to take that picture you can just delete some music and have some space. Also, the little think like the headphone jack and buttons are all high quality solid pieces.

In the end though, the zen wasn't enough and I went with a new toy with a slightly larger footprint made my HP, it is a HP 2133 and kicks ass.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I have an 80gb ipod classic, have had it since they first came on (right prior to the accident) in 2007. Its survived a crash on a hillside, a season with a beaver in the arctic and northern mb and a year and a half in -30 and lower in the arctic. So far so good. The screen is still surprisingly in good shape, but I bought a decent cover for it (which is now pretty trashed) I'm harder than all hell on the poor thing and it's survived. Lots of buddies with iphones too and they have nothing but solid things to say (don't they share the same platform?)

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

30Gb Ipod Video 5G.

I love it almost as much as my PS3 and slightly more than my Fiance.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

200hr Wonder wrote:I for one poo poo the iPod because of the pain in the ass iTunes and DRM associated with it. Crash your computer? Too bad loose all your songs? Forget to "remove the license" before restoring windows? So sad loose all your songs. Want to listen to your music on more than 2 computers? Too bad can't do that! Want to share a song with a friend? Oh NOS YOUR PIRATE YOU MUST BE PUNISHED HISSSSSSSSSSSSS.

How hard are you on your MP3 player? Kinda hard get a flash based one, they will take abuse much better than one with a hard drive in it.

Really really hard get a cheap $80 one so when you drop it in the lake, step on it, run over it on the bike, drop it off the roof, have it fly out of the window at 3000' etc. it does not hurt that bad.

This sums it up nicely for me. I own a Zen, and it's great. Drag'n drop'n go.

Drinking outside the box.
goates
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by goates »

200hr Wonder wrote:I for one poo poo the iPod because of the pain in the ass iTunes and DRM associated with it. Crash your computer? Too bad loose all your songs? Forget to "remove the license" before restoring windows? So sad loose all your songs. Want to listen to your music on more than 2 computers? Too bad can't do that! Want to share a song with a friend? Oh NOS YOUR PIRATE YOU MUST BE PUNISHED HISSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Apple announced recently that all DRM on music files bought from the iTunes Music Store will be removed in the next month or two. Without DRM the files can be played wherever you want. And for the few songs that are still affected, you can play them on up to 5 computers. iTunes DRM does not apply to songs you rip to the computer yourself.

I quite like my iPod Touch because you can surf the net, check email etc. It works pretty well for watching movies on the bus or plane (if you're not up front...) too. There are also several aviation related apps in the App Store that may be of interest. And for those of a more religious persuasion, there are several versions of the Bible and Quran if you like.

If you need lots of space, then look at the iPod Classic or other MP3 players.

SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SkyWolfe »

I have an Iphone... Pretty much the same but a bit better... I personally love the touch stuff. Everyone I know with the Ipod only version really loves it. Just a screen protector for the grease problem!

Cheers,

Wolfie

Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

+1 for ipod touch. I accidentally bought one once while drunk online. Hint, If you are drunk never ever keep your credit card and laptop in the same place. Online shopping while drunk can be hazardous.

Having said that though, I love the ipod touch. websurfing, email, stock prices, not to mention all the other apps available. I have one that fetches aviation wx from jeppeson. Real slick. There are many interesting podcasts available on itunes. Good for long drives, or flights.

As for the paranoia about "loose your songs", well that is just nonsense. Keep your hardrive backed up regularly as you would for any files, and you will not loose your songs.

The 'greasy screen' thing is a bit of a non-starter too. Give it a wipe every now and then and you are okay. Video podcasts look real good on this nice big screen.

The only thing you really have to be mindful of is not to put it somewhere where the screen will get scratched. That is not hard though. Just dont shove it in your pocked with your keys.

Wahunga!

Return to “The Water Cooler”