LED MagLite - Anybody Have One?

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pika
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

LED MagLite - Anybody Have One?

Post by pika »

They have always made a good product and now there are factory LED MagLites available as well as retrofiits. Anybody have anything to say about the LED version?
---------- ADS -----------

You can interpret that however you would like.
. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: LED MagLite - Anybody Have One?

Post by . . »

I just got one of the LED refits for my old maglite. The bulb burnt out, and I figured rather than paying $5 for a regular blub I'd try $20 for the best LED you can buy. Stimulate the economy a bit right?

Most LED's you get fit within the normal maglite reflective lens. The lens is designed for the incandescent bulb, and won't focus the beam. If you get some of the better kits they come with a new silver lens insert thing too. The one I got had the new lens and it can focus the beam just like it used to be able to.

It was a really simple install, took all of 30 sec to switch over. My only complaint now it's it's almost too bright. It would be great for camping, or any kind of out doors stuff. It would quite seriously blind you in a cockpit now though. I've never seen a flashlight anywhere near as bright as this now. With the ability to focus the beam you can have longer distance power. I've found with the unfocusable LED's before, they were super bright close in, but very quickly washed out in the distance. With the ability to focus you have the best of both worlds.

I bought my kit on ebay from these guys. Bought it Monday and was installing it Friday. Super quick shipping, and a legit seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TERRALUX-XR-E-LED-F ... 634.c0.m14

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

I dont have any experience with the minimag led but if you are looking for a decent and cheap LED I have the Gerber Cornea and the Gerber Recon LED. Both Rawk!

http://www.rei.com/product/750949

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/review ... _recon.htm

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

I bought a bunch of LED maglites last year, and they work great. They are insanely bright and if you aren't careful in the cockpit at night and beam yourself, it's like watching a lightning flash from 6 inches away. I put a little red filter over the end of my maglite and that has tamed it a little. Overall they are fantastic though, and if my worst complaint is that the flashlight is too bright, I really don't have much to bitch about.

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

I like the fancy toys and all and a nice mag lite is definitely a good purchase, however in my experience buy a 10 buck LED knock off mag lite style one you will find near the check out line at best buy and you never get too pissed off when you loose it in the drink or leave it in the plane never to be seen again.

pika
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pika »

...if my worst complaint is that the flashlight is too bright...
The perfect flashlight is born...

C-FKLY
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FKLY »

I have both a 2 AA battery and a 4 D battery factory LED Maglite, and both are great products. Carries on the long-standing durability and toughness of Maglite with the efficiency of LED bulbs. The AA one has good brightness to light up most things in the cockpit if you drop something or your lights go out -- and the D battery one has enough power to light treetops several hundred feet away (You could probably use it as a landing light if it came down to it :o ). Oh and they hardly use any power at all -- haven't had to change batteries yet. And if you find them too bright you can get red or blue filters that replace the plastic lens on the end, which dims it down quite a bit.

Cessna 182 | C-FKLY
railroad
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by railroad »

I've had a couple of maglites over the years and I believe they are the best out there. However, I purchased an LED one a few months ago and, I don't know if it is just a fluke, but; it has turned out to be a lemon. At cold temperatures (-30 and below) the switch sticks. I can turn the head to turn it on, but the switch sticks and it does not come on. When it does work, it definately gives more light than the original. I like it for checking for water in drums. (although the best for checking drums in my opinion is those little stubby ones with multiple LED bulbs. The normal slender ones only have one LED bulb.)

As well, I still like the non-led ones for "looking at specific things" as the beam "concentrates" better. One other thing to consider is, the origninal mini-mag is a little shorter than the LED ones, thus making it a little more convenient when wearing it on your belt.

Edited to add: Beware of knock-offs. I bought a knock-off a little while back, and the head on it turned way too easy. This resulted in the head eventually spinning off (while wearing it on my belt) and getting lost. This made the light as useful as a co-pilot with an education.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

railroad wrote:I've had a couple of maglites over the years and I believe they are the best out there. However, I purchased an LED one a few months ago and, I don't know if it is just a fluke, but; it has turned out to be a lemon. At cold temperatures (-30 and below) the switch sticks. I can turn the head to turn it on, but the switch sticks and it does not come on. When it does work, it definately gives more light than the original. I like it for checking for water in drums. (although the best for checking drums in my opinion is those little stubby ones with multiple LED bulbs. The normal slender ones only have one LED bulb.)

As well, I still like the non-led ones for "looking at specific things" as the beam "concentrates" better. One other thing to consider is, the origninal mini-mag is a little shorter than the LED ones, thus making it a little more convenient when wearing it on your belt.

Edited to add: Beware of knock-offs. I bought a knock-off a little while back, and the head on it turned way too easy. This resulted in the head eventually spinning off (while wearing it on my belt) and getting lost. This made the light as useful as a co-pilot with an education.
The product I listed came with an after market lens so you can focus the LED beam. Most LED's don't come with that ability. So it's definitely a huge selling point to me. The big seller on the after market LED bulb to me, was that I can keep the body of my light. It's a good one, and has been with me for over 10years after I FOUND it on the bottom of the St. Mary's river in Sault Ste Marie. Pulled it up and twisted it, and it worked. It had been there for ages too. So i couldn't say goodbye to it.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

endless wrote:
railroad wrote:I've had a couple of maglites over the years and I believe they are the best out there. However, I purchased an LED one a few months ago and, I don't know if it is just a fluke, but; it has turned out to be a lemon. At cold temperatures (-30 and below) the switch sticks. I can turn the head to turn it on, but the switch sticks and it does not come on. When it does work, it definately gives more light than the original. I like it for checking for water in drums. (although the best for checking drums in my opinion is those little stubby ones with multiple LED bulbs. The normal slender ones only have one LED bulb.)

The product I listed came with an after market lens so you can focus the LED beam. Most LED's don't come with that ability. So it's definitely a huge selling point to me. The big seller on the after market LED bulb to me, was that I can keep the body of my light. It's a good one, and has been with me for over 10years after I FOUND it on the bottom of the St. Mary's river in Sault Ste Marie. Pulled it up and twisted it, and it worked. It had been there for ages too. So i couldn't say goodbye to it.

Thats the great thing about the cornea. It is pretty focusable and wicked bright.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

Just a few more watts and you can light up the punks that are on the ground targeting you.

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Mine must be too as it has a tendency to flash on and off :S Only bought it in November. IE you twist the head and it comes on but if you shake it, it will go off, or worse simply rotate it so the beam is down. And no I have not twisted too much :smt014

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
Rem
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rem »

Thanks for the tip endless.. Just bought one, best light I've ever had.

Cheers

pika
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pika »

A flashlight forum with possibly the greatest Maglite ever created...

http://flashlightnews.net/forum/index.php?topic=810.0

Valkyrie_XB70
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Valkyrie_XB70 »

200hr Wonder wrote: Mine must be too as it has a tendency to flash on and off :S Only bought it in November. IE you twist the head and it comes on but if you shake it, it will go off, or worse simply rotate it so the beam is down. And no I have not twisted too much :smt014
The light flashes when the batteries are running low on the 3Watt LED Maglights. I have both a 2AA 3W and a 3D 3W and I find they are great for the price. I use mine nightly, and have not had any problems.

Jastapilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Jastapilot »

I checked out the Maglite website, and they don't say the lumen rating for those LED Mags. "Insanely Bright" sounds promising, but it would be nice to know what the brightness rating is to compare. Do you guys have anything listed on the paperwork that came with it?

pika
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pika »

http://www.seoulsemicon.com/en/product/ ... rLEDp7.asp

The custom built LED Maglite is 900 lumens.

Jastapilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Jastapilot »

ok, so is there a small, focusable stock flashlight with the p7 in it? Or do I have to get the soldering iron out?

Return to “The Water Cooler”