Swine Flu shot

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Are you going to get the Swine Flu shot?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 120

WetJet
Rank 5
Rank 5

Swine Flu shot

Post by WetJet »

All the medical professionals say it's is the best thing to do, but I don't know very many people that are planning on getting immunized.
---------- ADS -----------

AMM
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Swine Flu shot

Post by AMM »

NO! And I have a hunch I already caught H1N1, got better, and now have a decent immunity against it.

Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Brewguy »

Why no "Undecided" option on your poll?

Cheers,
Brew
Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

According to my doctor, I've already had it.

So, no.

moocow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by moocow »

Not right the way. I want to wait at least 2 weeks and see if people start tripping like trout on LSD before taking the shot. The scary bit is that the symptoms are very similar to regular flu...how the hell do I even know I have H1N1 or people at work have it. Tons of people are coughing like hell in a poorly A/C office. Then again my friend caught it and I was at his house for a party after he was "healed".

BibleMonkey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by BibleMonkey »

This stuff should be fifty bucks a pound-Keeps out Swine flu, ...vampires.... mother-in-laws...

meflypretty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by meflypretty »

If you are in a position where you come in contact with many people in a confined environment (airplane?) the morally correct thing to do is get vaccinated. If not for your own health, you will easily become a carrier and continue to spread it, even if you don't become ill yourself.

even paranoids have real enemies
Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

WetJet wrote:All the medical professionals say it's is the best thing to do, but I don't know very many people that are planning on getting immunized.
Medical professionals are not a charity. They are PAID by drug company salesmen to offer the latest product.

USA just today delcared a Flu Emergency.
Get ready to lose your rights.

Gotta like conincences...this virus appears out of nowhere to hit all people and animals worldwide...then presto a so-called vaccine appears. Make many germ bioweapons these days?

DO not fear, these nice men will debate your "rights" when you try to protest:

That'll buff right out :rolleyes:
Sheila
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sheila »

I know someone who got tested yesterday and it was found not to be H1N1. They sent him home by the afternoon. They must know alot about the virus by now, why wouldn't there be a vaccine by now?

JakeYYZ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JakeYYZ »

“Obama declares national emergency on swine flu”
Does this mean I need to buy more ammo?

Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

Of course. Have not seen any good reason why not to, only aot of alarmist fear mongering based on falacious logic. Besides from the accounts of people with confirmed cases, it sounds like this flu is no picknick. Oh, and of course there are the people who have died from this flu.

Wahunga!
blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by blackbear »

meflypretty wrote:If you are in a position where you come in contact with many people in a confined environment (airplane?) the morally correct thing to do is get vaccinated. If not for your own health, you will easily become a carrier and continue to spread it, even if you don't become ill yourself.
Every year, you have around 22,000/33,000 people dying of the "standard" flu in USA : why did we never see the gouvernement taking such action for this flu strain ? Why at 1,000 deaths from the H1N1 we see a state of medical emergency ? In Canada, this is about 2,000 to 8,000 people dying every year from the "standard" flu : did you care about all these deaths before ? Do the actuals goverments in the world care about this "standard" flu ? No, they don't, when in fact, this is more dangerous than the H1N1.
When it was summer for us, it was winter in the south hemisphere : did you hear about million people dying there ? I didn't. With million passengers going from East to West, from South to North, nothing has happened.

For my health, I do rely on my antibodies, not on this flu shot. And I do care about the health of other people. But being vaccinated won't protect them from the virus. If you, vaccinated, you shake the hand of a contaminated person, then touch the hand of a second person, this is not because you got a flu shot that you won't transmit the virus to this last person. If this last person is so scared to get the flu, then up to this person to be vaccinated.

For all these reasons, I won't get my swine flu shot.

meflypretty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by meflypretty »

blackbear wrote: In Canada, this is about 2,000 to 8,000 people dying every year from the "standard" flu : did you care about all these deaths before ?
You bet. Got vaccinated every year.
blackbear wrote:
If you, vaccinated, you shake the hand of a contaminated person, then touch the hand of a second person, this is not because you got a flu shot that you won't transmit the virus to this last person. If this last person is so scared to get the flu, then up to this person to be vaccinated.
Is this how you think the virus is transmitted? By you shaking someone's hand and then shaking someone else's? I respect your right to an opinion, but would prefer that it was an informed one.

even paranoids have real enemies
blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by blackbear »

meflypretty wrote: Is this how you think the virus is transmitted? By you shaking someone's hand and then shaking someone else's? I respect your right to an opinion, but would prefer that it was an informed one.
First, I said this has an example : then if you prefer me to explain to you with details, I can.
"So, there's a guy having the flu, who keep on sneezing in his hands, and he shakes your hand.... etc...etc... until the last person put his hands near his mouth/nose/eyes"
Satisfied now ? Why washing the hands is part of prevention to avoid the flu ? Not only to please your mummy when you eat...
And this is only one of the different ways to transmit. Happy now ?

taylor498
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by taylor498 »

I'm not a doctor, nor do I know enough to speak intelligently about something like the influenza virus. But some people seem to be asking questions that are logically answered with a google search.
Public Health Agency of Canada wrote:Q3. Is H1N1 Flu Virus contagious? How does it spread between people?

Yes, this virus is contagious. Since most of the people who have become ill have not been in direct contact with pigs, we know that the virus has spread from person to person.

More investigation is needed on how easily the virus spreads between people, but it is believed that it is spread the same way as regular seasonal influenza.

Influenza and other respiratory infections are transmitted from person to person when germs enter the nose and/or throat. Coughs and sneezes release germs into the air where they can be breathed in by others. Germs can also rest on hard surfaces like counters and doorknobs, where they can be picked up on hands and transmitted to the respiratory system when someone touches their mouth and/or nose.
Public Health Agency of Canada wrote:Q4. Why are people concerned about this particular strain?

The strain of H1N1 Flu Virus is a new, or novel, influenza virus.

Since this is a new strain, people will likely have no natural immunity to protect against the virus. International experts are concerned that this strain could spread quickly.

Investigation is underway to learn more about the way the virus spreads. Governments around the world and the World Health Organization are engaged to investigate and address this situation.
I'll probably throw on my tin-foil hat for good measure. :D

canwhitewolf
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by canwhitewolf »

all posts of mine deleted due to derogatory personal comments

Last edited by canwhitewolf on Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
canwhitewolf
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by canwhitewolf »

Last edited by canwhitewolf on Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
BibleMonkey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by BibleMonkey »

Don't worry about it. We are all too rich to die .

Those poor humans far away are dying from swine flu. Well, the ones that don't die from starvation, aids, malaria....etc.
Even in the third world, Swine flu is just a minor detail on deaths agenda for the day.
http://flutracker.rhizalabs.com/

Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

Not a dangerous flu eh. One day healthy, the next dead.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... hub=Health

Wahunga!
canwhitewolf
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by canwhitewolf »

Last edited by canwhitewolf on Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Water Cooler”