Opening Ceremonies...your thoughts?

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Ogee
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Opening Ceremonies...your thoughts?

Post by Ogee »

It wasn't Riverdance, but some parts were very good and KD Lang was just spectacular.

I'm a bit of lesbian myself.
---------- ADS -----------

Cougar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cougar »

Just found the k.d.lang song on video...

that woman is the only one who has a voice as big as all of Canada....

I thought it was spectacular....

yes, as is the country itself.

<bow>

Darkwing Duck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Darkwing Duck »

altiplano wrote:I haven't been an olympic supporter going in to this at all. But as a show I thought it was good. KD Lang - AWESOME!
Darkwing Duck wrote:KD Lang, that carpet munching, vagitarian, was a real disappointment, but hey, what do you expect from a left wing bit of the country.
Feck you. Small minded.

You go on to say...
Darkwing Duck wrote:too much Indian stuff
and then...
Darkwing Duck wrote:Liked the rant that one guy did about defining our nation. Thought that was very well done and made one feel pround to be a Canadian.
Do you think he was just another WASP Canadian? Or was he the acceptable indian content you are looking for?

Learn to accept that this isn't only your Canada. It is a lot of things for a lot of people, many of whom are thankfully different from you

1st off, this was a thread about our thoughts on the opening cerimonies. Those are mine. 2nd I never liked KD Lang, never will, especially what she tried to do to the beef industry in the 90s. So she can take a long walk off short pier for all I care. 3rd, never once did I say I never liked the Indian stuff, in fact I kind of liked it, it was just too much. You said it yourself, there is way more to Canada. They should of showed it besides the Indians. 4th, the guy who did the rant was from the 1st nations (just to appease your political correctness), in NWT if I heard correctly. He was so far from being a WASP. And this is my Canada, I have a right to an opinion, just like you do. And let me tell you something else, there are thousands like me out there. Finally, I too am a lesbian, in fact bi-sexual. I want 2 women in bed with me.

Kowalski: Sir, we may be out of fuel.
Skipper: What makes you think that?
Kowalski: We've lost engine one, and engine two is no longer on fire.
BibleMonkey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by BibleMonkey »

The Olympics are on again?

I thought they settled that who's fastest/slipperiest/slidyest thing four years ago.

=====
2nd I never liked KD Lang, never will, especially what she tried to do to the beef industry in the 90s
You must really hate R-CALF* then, eh....(:

( RCALF is the American lobby group that got rid of half of the Canadian beef herd.In case you live in the city.....)

I wonder if it's really true that KD Langs house has tongue-in-groove siding.....(:

She has a really good voice, though...

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

I thought the first part was a disgrace! All the native stuff was WAY over kill. Modern Canada (the one 98% of the country lives in) is all about multiculturalism of different countries. Just over 1 million natives in our country, just over 1 million people of Asian descent then we have people from many other places including Europe, India etc... They contribute MUCH more to our country especially in cities like Vancouver! That is what Canada is about.

Then we had that terrible singing of Oh Canada. I am sorry but its no a love song its our National Anthem! Celine Dion would have done a better job then this girl, or if you wanted a good singing of our anthem, the Canucks singer for most of their games, Mark O'Donnely

I thought the flag bearers where a great choice - really happy to see Romeo Dallaire which actually surprised me.

The rest of the celebration improved quiet a bit on the native theme, the fiddlers where pretty decent, and the maple leaf look was pretty good. It stayed decent until the end. The glitch with the flame kind of sucked, but sh!t does happen...

Lets hope for a less native theme on the closing ceremonies!

Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Brewguy »

I blame the US for starting this whole 'sing your national anthem like it's a pop song' trend ... and I don't like it one bit. I don't care whose anthem you're singing, show some respect and sing it straight.

I'm glad they added in the moment of silence for the Georgian, even lowering the Canadian & Olympic flags to half mast for the remainder of the ceremonies. Such a sad event.

Other than that, I thought the show was great. As a number of the TV commentators said, nobody will ever be able to 'top' Beijing, so there's no sense making comparisons. But overall, I think they put on a very good show.

Does anyone else think the design for the cauldron was stolen from Superman's fortress of solitude?

Cheers,
Brew
robbreid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by robbreid »

http://www.star-telegram.com/462/story/1966047.html

It almost got a lot more exciting, because the little kid ripping off planes in Washington State, stole a SR-22 and was buzzing around close to the Olympic safety zone, before dumping the Cirrus in a field!!! Guess it wasn't during the opening ceremonies, but it sure would have been exciting seeing Hornets chase a Cirrus over downtown Vancouver.

As for the Superman comment - exactly.

Very respectful the flags, and the comments regarding Georgian Luge Athlete Nodar Kumaritashvili. Sad.

Inclusion of our heritage and our indigenous people of Canada well done, colourful, and very BC.

Heh it wasn't the Superbowl, but it was alright. Respectful.

And in truth, I don't remember the opening ceremonies at any previous winter Olympics, and I'm guessing
soon I won't remember this one!!!

I read in an American report, they loved it, but also liked how the Canadian team was dressed like Bob and Doug McKenzie.

Also a little awkward - Israeli team following the Iranian team - but heh - we didn't invent the alphabet.

thecaptain
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by thecaptain »

ZBBYLW wrote: Then we had that terrible singing of Oh Canada. I am sorry but its no a love song its our National Anthem! Celine Dion would have done a better job then this girl, or if you wanted a good singing of our anthem, the Canucks singer for most of their games, Mark O'Donnely
Poor girl man... she has a very good voice, she is a young and talented artist and the "version" of the anthem you hate oh so much was the direction she was instructed to go in with the anthem. It is our anthem but there isn't anything wrong with pumping life into something every once in awhile.

anyway, to each their own...

cheers

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

Proud to be a Canadian! They did a great job last night..espically with the luge tragedy so fresh in everyones minds. Kudos to all the people who helped make this happen.

As an FYI.. anyone but KD pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and yes, a little LESS first nation content on the closing ceremonies would be fine with me. Overall though,. they did a bang up job!

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

Brewguy wrote:
Does anyone else think the design for the cauldron was stolen from Superman's fortress of solitude?
LOL..Not til this moment I didnt. Now i do! 8)

mag check
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by mag check »

I thought they sucked.

The statues looked like zombies with their arms straight out, the huge "drum" wasn't even a drum, O Canada was bad, the native dancing was poorly done, especially the Metis.
Even the "vip" section was only half full. Who were all those extra seats for that couldn't even bother to show up? But what do you expect from a group that can't even build roof structure beams farther than 1 foot from the luge track?
I couldn't even finish watching it.

We're all here, because we're not all there.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

-

Last edited by altiplano on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icebound
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Icebound »

mag check wrote:I thought they sucked.

I don't know if I would go that far, but Richard Ouzonian's headline in the Toronto Star says it all: "Medium marvellous, message mediocre"

This was a ceremony loved by opera, ballet, and artsy types...

...and loathed by the beer-drinking, rock-music, hard-living types.

And it never helps to have our beloved, all-important technology FAIL so publicly.... once more twigging that little nagging concern in the back of our minds, about depending on it so totally in real life.

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

I thought it was great, except for the National Anthem. It's a frickin' anthem, not a lounge-lizard show. Can't blame the performer though, she had to work with what she was handed. Lang was awesome, although I prefer her version of Hallelujah, with the full orchestra, from the Juno's a few years ago. The opening sequence with the snowboarder was something else. :smt023
but Richard Ouzonian's headline in the Toronto Star says it all: "Medium marvellous, message mediocre"
Whaddya expect from the center of the universe. Could be a description of his own publication.

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

As I am refusing to watch as little of the coverage as I can (can't stand seeing the same commercials over and over again), I have only seen highlights on the news. So can anyone tell me if the 4 giant ice penises ever penetrated the giant hovering vagina? I might have actually watched that for a couple of minutes if the sound track was good. Image

Have Pratts - Will Travel
SYT_YYZ
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SYT_YYZ »

Im sorry, but I can't help saying this and can't believe I seem to have been the first:

Am I the only one who thought :

looked a little much like THIS:

And Seriously could not one person take one for the team, stand up and admit that yes maybe they have seen/used a dildo before and that there is a little too much of a similarity...???

Lost Cessna Pilot: "Big airport with a little Cessna 150 overhead, please identify yourself!"

Post by SYT_YYZ »

LOL THANK YOU PRAT.... hahah you posted while I was typing mine up.... Didnt see it until I posted LOL

Great minds think alike???

Lost Cessna Pilot: "Big airport with a little Cessna 150 overhead, please identify yourself!"

Post by SYT_YYZ »

Oh and by the way I thought the scene with the whales was AMAZING!!!!!!!! Best part of the night!

Post by ScudRunner »

Anyone else get a chuckle when the Chiefs showed up late to the opening ceremony, some one should have told them 5pm not 6pm they are on Native time! Obvious lack of cultural sensitivity, those who flew up north know what im talking about.

As for KD Lang that dude can sure sing!!

The flag thing disappointing ,Opera Singing Lady WTF, and the Hydraulic failure oh well overall I thought it was a great show. Really glad they didnt break out a dog team and have Celine Dion clubbing a Seal while singing to a moose.

Good job and I thought the poet guy was pretty frigging good! not my usual cup of tea and cringed when he came on but very good opening ceremony!!!

DROP THE PUCK!!!

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

SYT_YYZ wrote:LOL THANK YOU PRAT.... hahah you posted while I was typing mine up.... Didnt see it until I posted LOL

Great minds think alike???
I believe that it is "Dirty minds think alike!!!"

Have Pratts - Will Travel

Return to “The Water Cooler”