Anyone not cheering for team Canada?

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Anyone not cheering for team Canada?

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

The Canadian goalie's day job is to look greasy and fall apart in the playoffs to the tune of 6 million.
The Norwegian goalie's day job is carpenter "and he is damn good at it".

I'm as red-blooded Canadian as the next guy, but I think I wouldn't mind seeing the carpenter steal one. Even just one, maybe to humble our millionaire all-stars. 8)
---------- ADS -----------

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Anyone not cheering for team Canada?

Post by Nark »

I'm not cheering for Canada.

Except hockey, cause I promised someone I would.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
taxiway_matthew
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by taxiway_matthew »

CL-Skadoo! wrote:I'm as red-blooded Canadian as the next guy
Horse-shit.
Hockey is who we are. You're not cheering for OUR team because they make a lot of money? Blame Bettman and his shitty operation of the NHL, not YOUR team, YOUR country. Remember, most of Sweden, Russian, Finland, and Russia play in the NHL and make millions of $$ every year. Grow up, be a proud Canadian, cheer for your team, or get the F*** out.

shannon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by shannon »

If Canada is defined by hockey than we really do have a shallow and vacant existence. The only thing I'm rooting for in this olympics is for Vancouver and BC not to have to much debt from this when its all done.

Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Brewguy »

The Olympics is supposed to be the worlds best 'amateur' athletes. I don't cheer for any Olympic sport that bends that rule to allow professionals (i.e. hockey, basketball).

I am however, cheering for the Canadians who are competing in all of the other events.

GO CANADA!!!

Cheers,
Brew
petite
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by petite »

some people just like to root for the underdog

The things I love are not HR approved
"I hate you so much right now." - sar
CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

taxiway_matthew wrote:
CL-Skadoo! wrote:I'm as red-blooded Canadian as the next guy
Grow up, be a proud Canadian, cheer for your team, or get the F*** out.
I'm a citizen of the planet first and foremost, if my team wins a hockey game, well that's nice too, perhaps I'll join you in Montreal and we'll flip over a car or something in victory.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

hockey ain't who I am, and I could care less for any olympic event stacked with professionals.

piss off with the rest of your rhetoric.

http://mindflipbooks.ca/
Freddy_Francis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Freddy_Francis »

The Canadian goalie's day job is to look greasy
Care to elaborate on that? I honestly don't care who you do or don't cheer for, just kinda curious what this has to do with anything? Is it Luongo's fault that the league he is in pays the money they do to athletes as oppose to Pål Grotnes (the norwegian goalie/carpenter you referred to) Lets not pretend that anyone here or any other professional sports league would turn down the money they make...get real bud. Keep in mind that the underdog countries players are from PROFESSIONAL sports leagues, so dont give me the whole amatuer event thing.

Enjoy the Olympics & the tournament

Fly Safe
F2
CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Freddy_Francis wrote:
The Canadian goalie's day job is to look greasy
Care to elaborate on that?

Enjoy the Olympics & the tournament
Yea, he has greasy hair.
I honestly don't care who you do or don't cheer for, just kinda curious what this has to do with anything? Is it Luongo's fault that the league he is in pays the money they do to athletes as oppose to Pål Grotnes (the norwegian goalie/carpenter you referred to) Lets not pretend that anyone here or any other professional sports league would turn down the money they make...get real bud
I'm not blaming anyone, I am rooting for people, it's a sport. If it was the superbowl, and some no name, second-string quaterback were playing, I might be inclined to pull for him the same way.

I'm a fan of the working man, the average joe, and when I hear someone is a carpenter, and a damn fine one, that's the guy I like to cheer for. If I had the option to take 6 million to play hockey right now or be an amazing carpenter, I'd take the latter. So I cheer for the underdog, because the humbleness wins me over.

Just the same way, I loved seeeing Ricker take the gold with her mom looking on. Loved seeing Bilodeau grab the gold with his brother just loving life.

I do apologize that those are the types of people I cheer the hardest for, I just find that more interesting. There are a lot of great people on the men's hockey team who do great charitable work, and deep down I want them to take it just out of patriotism. But hey, I'm still a fan of the underdogs.

Sorry to have offended!

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Last edited by Hedley on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by desksgo »

Hedley wrote:.
. +1

I too am not getting the attention I crave, I am out.

Last edited by desksgo on Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

I don't care about team Canada, but I do care that-

DESKSGO IS BACK!!!!!

With Avcanada, you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...

-istp :supz:

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Is there women's beach volleyball at this olympics? I haven't seen any yet, but I keep looking through the channels for it.
Good news on two counts. Women's beach volleyball is back and it's being played at Wreck Beach. :smt023

flyinggreasemonkey
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyinggreasemonkey »

I really don't care if an athlete is a professional or amateur, the Olympics is about country vs county in a few friendly games. When the athletes step onto the ice, field, or wherever, there is no rich or poor, no gay or straight, no black, white, yellow or whatever colour you may be. It's all about they physical skill they they've honed over years of training, and that's what counts. And besides, the millionaire hockey players can afford their own training, leaving public and private funding open for the other athletes living on hopes and dreams.

And who give a shit if Vancouver or BC goes into some debt? The olympics creates hundreds, if not thousands of jobs all over the country and puts millions in the pockets of the hard working people who might otherwise be unemployed due to the failed economy.

The Olympics are nothing but good in my eyes.

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

flyinggreasemonkey wrote: And who give a shit if Vancouver or BC goes into some debt? The olympics creates hundreds, if not thousands of jobs all over the country and puts millions in the pockets of the hard working people who might otherwise be unemployed due to the failed economy.

You're absolutely right, who cares about the govt going into debt, who needs to balance a budget in order to not cut spending on programs. But don't worry, all the social programs won't be affected, (effected?!?!) because the games produced a lot of jobs.

Don't worry about the increased taxes either, cause those BCers have jobs.

Your kidding right?

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Rank 1

Post by Ville »

flyinggreasemonkey wrote:I really don't care if an athlete is a professional or amateur, the Olympics is about country vs county in a few friendly games. When the athletes step onto the ice, field, or wherever, there is no gay or straight...
ohhh I don't know about that that Johnny Weir guy...
Anyways, pumped Biledou won first gold and not the Jenn heil. Stoked on any medals Canada wins, but I actually want them to lose in mens hockey :D

taxiway_matthew
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by taxiway_matthew »

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

flyinggreasemonkey wrote: And who give a shit if Vancouver or BC goes into some debt? The olympics creates hundreds, if not thousands of jobs all over the country and puts millions in the pockets of the hard working people who might otherwise be unemployed due to the failed economy.

The Olympics are nothing but good in my eyes.
Meh, the government will never run out of money, I want more programs! Ask Nark if California had an unlimited supply of $ a few years ago ;)

I'm thinking flyinggreasemonkey isn't from BC so he doesn't think it will cost him. But wait, Canada is funding this too, it is just coming from a bigger wallet. Besides, the less $ BC has, the less we can sent out to Ontario to bail them out of their crappy manufacturing sector.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Carrier
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Carrier »

Perhaps some of these posters?

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=60405

Return to “The Water Cooler”