Clarity Aloft headset - Questions

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

j031782c
Rank 0
Rank 0

Clarity Aloft headset - Questions

Post by j031782c »

Anyone has any first hand experience with Clairty Aloft headsets?
I'm in searching for a new headset and right now I'm leading towards either Clairty Aloft or Lightspeed Zulu.
I heard good things about both Zulu and Aloft but Zulu is like $300 more expensive.

If any of you own this headset, please share your experience (noice cancellation, comfort etc.)

Much appreicated!
---------- ADS -----------

vova_k
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Clarity Aloft headset

Post by vova_k »

CA is far most comfortable headset for me, except when I need to talk to passengers (pain to put it on again).

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

I have a CA headset and love it! There are certain draw backs, but for me it was the right choice.

First of all, make sure you don't mind having things sit in your ear. Second make sure you don't share your headset with a lot of people. If those two issues are out of the way it will be a great fit for you. When it first came, I took it out of it's box and said "shit, that is a lot of money for something with so few parts". So then I thought about it as giving me the same thing than a Bose or a Lightspeed for cheaper and I thought better of it. The sound you get from it is really clear. The Ipod function is not as high tech as the Lightspeed (it's not blue tooth and it does not shut off when you have someone talking.) That being said I only used it to try the function and tend not to use it while flying.

Because it is so light you really need to clip the cord on close to the headset otherwise it can pull around the headset, but that is very easily accomplished by using the provided clip and either your collared shirt or your harness.

The reason I bought it was every Noise Canceling headset I tried on, had me feel the pressure of the ANC in my ears and it some models it would actually cause sharp pain inside my ears (Lightspeed was the worst for that for me). The Bose was not too bad, however after a 2-3 hour flight I would start to feel sore in my ears. Telex 50D was pretty bad too, which was too bad as I could tell that was an awesome headset. Even the DC ANC headsets did the same. As I was replacing a used very old, very worn DC headset I was wanting another one - as it really was built like a tank.

I ended up finding out about the CA and thought I would give it a try - I got a 30 day money back guarantee, and after the first day laughed and said I would be sending this back - I have had it since January or so now, but maybe 100 or so hours on it and am a really big fan.

Only thing to mention is you do have to replace the ear buds, they say once a month I say more (flying full time - less if part time/recreational) and you have to order them of course. They are cheap, but it is sort of irritating (I have not needed to order yet - but I can tell it's just going to be a pain). The way I look at it though if I bought an ANC headset I would be buying batteries as well...

Hope you like what ever you buy!

pitot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitot »

I have had the clarity aloft for 3 years. I like it because head fatigue is no longer a problem. In regards to the previous posters comment on talking to passengers i simple mute the one side and can hear fine. I think if u are used to wearing earplugs then u will have no problems. It seems to bug some people. The worst problem i have is that on occasion i have had the foam plug come off in my ear. Had to get pliers to get em out two or three times. Didnt like that! Otherwise all good.

P

Carrier
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Carrier »

I have had one of these for two years as my main headset and have been most satisfied with it:

http://www.telex.com/aircraft/Product.a ... oductID=10

Remember that hearing damage is accumulative and cannot be reversed. Buy the best headset you can afford!

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

What kinda plane are you guys flying with the CA?

BBB

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Benwa »

I'd love to fit the Clarity Aloft on DB Blockers... Wonder if there's a way to do it ?

http://www.clarityaloft.com/
http://www.protectear.com/products/list_products.asp

--In his wrapup remarks, the FAA chief said, "If you think the safety bar is set too high, then your
standards are set too low."
Walker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Clarity Aloft in a piston banger?

Post by Walker »

Anyone out there using these things in a loud piston (without a helmet?)

How do you feel they compare to a good passive DC with DB blockers?

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Clarity Aloft headset - Questions

Post by Rowdy »

This has my interest peaked too.

I've had the bose, DC 13.4's and 13XLs, Sennheiser all in piston singles. My vote is for the DC's ten fold. I just tried a lightspeed zulu in the twotter and was quite impressed. Not sure how it'd stand up in a beav or the likes tho. the clarity has me curious too..

Return to “The Water Cooler”