RCMP shoots man; court rules cops f**ked up

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: RCMP shoots man; court rules cops f**ked up

Post by Nark »

We know the RCMP are corrupt, but the Saskatoon PD as well?

You should really stop this cpl_atc before it gets out of hand...
---------- ADS -----------

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

Hey Jarhead

He has OCD when it comes to dumping on cops.

Semper Fi

BoostedNihilist

Post by BoostedNihilist »

I think it shows systemic rot in the system.

I always find it hilarious how people will bitch and bitch and bitch about dirty politicians.. but when there are dirty cops.. let's just sweep it under the rug and forget it ever happened.. wait.. something happened?

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Kind of like paedophile priests being shielded. No Nark, I am not comparing officers to pedo's, just paralleling the circle the wagons mentality

ronjeremy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ronjeremy »

I don't see where it says the court ruled the cop fucked up.

Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

Doesn't need to, Corporal ATC just knows these things.

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Yep.

Google "21 foot rule"

Semper Fidelis
ronjeremy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ronjeremy »

cpl_atc... your arguments would carry a lot more weight if you didn't resort to name calling, ie "the ignorant cop". I've also read many responses of yours putting down people who voice a different opinion rather than actually debating them or making a rational argument. You're responses often come across as emotional rather than factual.

Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

Think Corporal, think!! Cop comes out, sees a guy with a bat threatening to brain people with it. What should he do? Let the guy cave in someones skull on the premise he might be defending his property from tresspassers, or order the guy to drop the bat and then sort out what's going on? If the guy refuses the to drop the bat, should the cop assume the guy is legally smashing people or should he take action to stop the guy? The fact the shot guy was ultimately found not guilty of assault with a weapon does not mean the cop did anything wrong in shooting him. They are separate legal issues.

ronjeremy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ronjeremy »

Wilbur, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

N181CS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by N181CS »

You guys are a little strange in your thought patterns. You sound like back woods Americans who never went to school and have never had to deal with the police in any real fashion. If anyone of you shot this guy you would be going to jail (as a pilot in command of an aircraft registered in Canada you are also Peace officers). Clearly police training in not antiquate enough to make life and death decisions. If they man had been holding a gun or knife then I could see his blunder but a bat, even the police consider the stick ( basically a steel pipe a bit thinner then a bat) a non lethal weapon for subduing a resisting offender. Bottom line wrong tool for the job, cops need stricter Rules Of Engagement. Their life is not more important then mine, they are PUBLIC SERVANTS and they work for me I do not serve them. This mentality of state first needs to go, you one of us or your a threat, it has no place in Canada.

The Government continues to lower their burden of proof and one day you will all have no rights you will need your papers on you at all times and will be subject to random search. ex. Look at the compulsory automobile act and the HTA. You need to have your papers on you or you are guilty of an offence. It used to be you had 24 hours to produce this document or you got a fine and if you have no insurance it got steeper. They still got you but now they just fine you and the sets a precedent for always having your papers on you. If you get your licence suspended they used to have to send it registered mail or have it hand delivered by a peace officer, now they just have to drop it in the regular mail and you can consider yourself served with no proof you ever got the mail or that they sent it, next up could be you lose your house by the bank just shoving a letter in the mail box. Stop standing up for the state and stand up for yourself, the state will never back you up and it does not need your back up.

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

OK let me take a full swing at you with a baseball bat to the head, then (if your not dead...and after you heal) let me do the same with a police "stick"...we'll judge the difference in your injuries. Me I'd rather be hit with stick....my point is a baseball bat is a weapon.

Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

Batons, whether wood or metal are NOT non-lethal weapons. Law enforcement agencies consider them less lethal weapons (ie; less lethal then a firearm) with rules and training about points on the body that can be hit with low risk of death or serious harm. They also both weigh one hell of a lot less than a baseball bat.

Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Hot Fuel »

Judges get days, if not weeks to listen to witnesses, defendants, lawyers and the like spin their version of the story before he/she has to make a call one way or the other. The cop often gets seconds to the make the call.

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Carried by six or tried by 12?

Semper Fidelis
N181CS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by N181CS »

Carried by six or tried by 12?
you should try to apply that theory in a court, see how far it gets you. I can tell you where it will get you... Jail. We the citizens are not allowed to make that call but some how they are.... With your Military background Nark one would think you too could make that call but up here in Canada it just does not cut it. Just because the police did it does not make it right. You wont get one ounce of sympathy from the courts with that line.

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

I think you can comprehend, I'm going out on a limb here tho.

You understood that the tried by 12 meant a jury. You got that much correct.

What you failed to understand was the carried by 6. That is a traditional amount of paul bearers at a funeral.

So ya, like you said, I'll take my chance in a court room.

Edited to add:

You are allowed to use deadly force to defend yourself. Look it up in the Canada Criminal Code.

Semper Fidelis
shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

Troubleshot wrote:OK let me take a full swing at you with a baseball bat to the head, then (if your not dead...and after you heal) let me do the same with a police "stick"...we'll judge the difference in your injuries. Me I'd rather be hit with stick....my point is a baseball bat is a weapon.
No you wouldn't. The "stick", riot control baton, call them what you will start out as a hardwood which I believe is then kiln dried to make them harder. During my military days while on a training exercise, the guy next to me accidentally clipped me with a glancing blow from the butt end of his baton just behind my ear. I ended up on the ground seeing stars and bleeding from a baton that probably only moved a foot or so before it got me. Maybe I was just unlucky and it got me in the wrong place, but it definitely left a mark.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

cpl_atc wrote:
Hot Fuel wrote:Judges get days, if not weeks to listen to witnesses, defendants, lawyers and the like spin their version of the story before he/she has to make a call one way or the other. The cop often gets seconds to the make the call.
Great. So let's forget about incompetent and poorly trained cops, and just shoot anyone where there's a reasonable suspicion of their intentions. The courts will sort it out later. That ought to work just great.
If the cops start doing that, you'd better watch your ass because you'll be one of the first ones they go after.

Return to “The Water Cooler”