Hobbies - What do you do/make? - Post Pics!

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Hobbies - What do you do/make? - Post Pics!

Post by Old Dog Flying »

SH: Very nice Norsemen considering the quality of the Modelcraft kit. In 1974 we rescued CF-SAM from an American that attempting to export it to the USA and it is now in the museum in Moose Jaw fully restored to its Sask Air Ambulance Yellow and Green. I have the Hobbycraft kit sitting by my desk but it will have to wait until I finish my 1:32 scale Fleet Canuck. Of course the Pitts is always favourite and in 1:20 scale it must be impressive.

Barney
---------- ADS -----------

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

few more pics of my biplane fleet...again in 1/32 scale. The cockpits are detailed down to the toggle switches and Bendix mag swith (complete with key)

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Fantastic models ODF! :smt023 :smt023
Did there used to be a guy named Don Manion with that Ray Ban acro team? I was on course at Quebecair on the F-27 with him, and I think he eventually flew the Pitts for the Ray Bans.

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

I don't recall the name but one of the originals was an air force guy named Fillion. He later flew for the airlines as did all of the Ray Ban guys.

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by The Old Fogducker »

ODF ... one modeller to another, those are simply incredible. Great workmanship with everything so cleanly done.

Some of my model railroad stuff approached that level and was published in magazines, but you are in a totally different league man.

I was rooting around in a corner of the basement this evening, looking for some material to build a low power FM broadcast antenna, and stumbled upon my 2 large boxes of unbuilt kits ... what a shame.

I should post a picture of those specialty items, and see if anyone would be interested in doing them up right, as its pretty unlikely I'll get to them because my priority has become constructing my dream model railway layout.

edit ... this small box is the stuff I put aside after culling 3 other large boxes. There are several vacuuform kits too ... mainly unusual variants of the Spitfire ... my favourite airplane.

The Old (Humbled Model Builder) Fogducker

Attachments
DSCN1331.JPG
DSCN1331.JPG (693.39 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
DSCN1330.JPG
DSCN1330.JPG (616.38 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
DSCN1329.JPG
DSCN1329.JPG (592.18 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
Last edited by The Old Fogducker on Sat May 08, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

The Old Fogducker wrote: Some of my model railroad stuff approached that level and was published in magazines...
...my priority has become constructing my dream model railway layout.
OFD - my sons are hugely into trains - real and/or model. Can you post some pictures of your stuff please and thanks. :smt023
FF

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

OFD: If you want to really waste some time take a look at my website http://www.barneysairforce.com But I warn you, there is one hell of a pile of plastic there :lol:

Barney

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Foto:

Sorry about the lower than desirable picture quality of the attached files, but I fired them off in haste to stick 'em up here.

Almost all of the locomotives are brass, some are high quality plastics.

The flash and fluorescent lighting don't make the colours come across very well. All are painted in matching CNR colours according to chips from the CN Lines Special Interest Group.digital

OFD

Attachments
resized00004.jpg
resized00004.jpg (219.04 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
resized00003.jpg
resized00003.jpg (188.99 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
resized00002.jpg
resized00002.jpg (199.78 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
Last edited by The Old Fogducker on Sat May 08, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

More train stuff

Attachments
This was a beautifully done custom built model done by a fellow in London from a model I started but never finished.
This was a beautifully done custom built model done by a fellow in London from a model I started but never finished.
IMG_5336cropped.jpg (72.23 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
resized00007.jpg
resized00007.jpg (201 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
resized00006.jpg
resized00006.jpg (188.51 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
lionheart27
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lionheart27 »

Wow

I have lots of old Tamiya models that I haven't touched in years. 2-3 dozen tamiya paints probably all dry now.
Used to have an old HO train set but long since gone.
Used to collect hockey cards. Still have a few from the 80's. Used to have some 70's

Into Videography now. Own a Panasonic 200HVX with a 100gb hard drive.

"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops boy"
"Up the Irons"
Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Mapleflag" I've been building 1:48 scale for about 30 years now and still have a very good stash of models (Canadian subjects) that I will never get to finish. I'm in the age group that has too many kits and not enough years left to finish them all, along with the usual problems with aging.

Here in the Vancouver area there are a few very good model shops; Imperial Hobbies, Richmond...Burnaby Hobbies, Burnaby...Finescale Hobbies, North Vancouver and they will ship mailorders. As for Canadian decals: Canadian Aircraft Markings, London, ON are excellent quality Alps printed but very delicate needing a bit of TLC...Leading Edge Decals, Calgary, AB are good quality screen printed decals.

And there are others that print CDN markings as well. For an eye opener go to WWW.Aircraftresourcecenter.com and ask all the question you might have. They are a great group with honest answers and no flamers in the bunch.

Barney

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

The Old Fogducker wrote:Foto:

Sorry about the lower than desirable picture quality of the attached files, but I fired them off in haste to stick 'em up here.

No Swayze express?

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

I can strongly recommend Burnaby Hobbies for unsual stuff and good mail order service.

The owners .. the Tarvin Family ... have been friends of mine since about 1972. My Chipmunk and Beaver kits were obtained through the contacts of John Tarvin (now retired.) The store is now run by one of his sons ... David. Nigel is a superb modeller.

OFD

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Wow Foggy, thems some serious trains. Best of luck on the project to get 'em up and running. :smt023

MapleFlag the choices for bush planes are fairly limited if you're thinking of stuff like say the Beaver or the Otter. You'd appear to be someone like myself, not getting any younger and the fingers aint as nimble as they used to be. For this reason, I suggest 1:48 scale. It's big enough to offer pretty good detail but not so big that you have to include every rivet and screw head to make it look authentic. Hobbycraft Canada makes the Beaver and Otter in 1:48, both on wheel/skis and floats. Modellcraft makes a 1:48 Norseman and a 1:72 Twin Otter. If you want to build any of those kits straight out of the box, they are pretty straightforward. The Beaver fuselage is molded in clear plastic for some reason I've never been able to fathom. If you follow the instructions for attaching the wings to the Otter, you'll wind up with about 1 degree of anhedral, you have to move the holes for the wing strut locator pins about 3/32 of an inch inboard to get the correct dihedral. The Norseman has a pretty good outline and the measurements scale out, but then things depart from reality. The kit floats are like nothing Edo ever built. The wing struts are nothing more than pieces of squarish plastic and the cabin windows are too large. I've never built the Modellcraft Twin Otter, but I have built the Matchbox version upon which it is based. It's a decent model.

I build various versions of the Canso and DC-3 in Canadian airline livery. Monogram makes excellent versions of both in 1:48. Williams Brothers recently re-released their version of the C-46 in 1:72. The old version of the kit suffered from some warping. Airfix has a version of the Bristol Freighter, but I believe it's been out of production for some time. You may find one at Rareplane Detective. Rareplane is owned by a guy named Jeff Garrity, and I've nothing but good things to say about him. This is a guy who, if he doesn't have it in stock, will point you toward someone else who may carry it.

There's 1:72 vacuuform vesion of the Fairchild 71 out there. I don't have the company name, but HS-748-2A can supply it. His father has built an absolutely stunning version of one on floats. There's also a 1:48 version of the HS-748 out there, as well as a 1:48 version of the Caribou.

Here's what I've done with a Monogram Canso and DC-3.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I spend most of my spare time (I have bags of spare time!) riding my wee Bandit, looking for interesting highways and byways. Summer only, please.

Love fine dining.....this at Vegas.

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Mapleflag: I'll sell all of my 1:72 scale stuff and some of the 1:48 as well but I'm keeping a few of the later for a while yet. Very reasonable too.

SH: Very nice DC-3 and Canso! I've built both but the DC-3 is special. RCAF 1000 VIP Sqn bird with fully electrical system that I designed and built myself is still a "work-in-progress". The one thing that I did not add was a sound system for the electric motors hidden in the P&Ws.

Barney

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Thanks ODF.

You haven't got a couple of 1:48 Otters you want to get rid of, have you? I need the floats for two of those Norsemen I'm building. Are you on Swanny's? I'm there as Stoneboat. There's a how-I-did-it thread there on that 1:24 Beaver I posted here. That's actually two models that were scrapped by a friend of mine, but I was able to salvage enough from two to build one. I visit your site regularly. Lotta great stuff there. :smt023

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

SH: Sorry but I do not have any spare Otters...I built one and that was enough. The Hobbycrap kits are only one step better than the Muddlecraft. One of these days I'll get my better half to add more to the website.

I do have a couple of vacform sheets of EDOs if that might help.

Barney

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

ODF check your e-mail.

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

SH: I tried the email address and it bounced. Try sending me a PM and we'll see how that works.

Barney

Return to “The Water Cooler”