Why I hate Airmiles

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Best travel card

BMO Air Miles Gold
No votes
CIBC Aerogold
44%
RBC Avion
56%
TD First Class
No votes
Scotia Passport
No votes

Total votes: 16

BEFAN5
Rank 4
Rank 4

Why I hate Airmiles

Post by BEFAN5 »

Although I do not personally need to collect points for travel and enjoy the benefits of crew discounts, I have always been one to collect travel points (currently with an Airmiles BMO card) to pay for hotels, family members flights etc. I wanted to share my recent experience with Airmile's (mostly to vent) :lol:

I booked a trip (two tickets) a year ago using all points. At the time, I was in the career transition and there was the potential for my availability to change. I indicated this to the agent on the phone so of course I got pitched the "airmiles travel insurance" being promised this would cover any cancellations. Time goes by, and one month before my trip, it happened, a new position and a lack of holidays for that time. I called to cancel, but guess what....? This cancellation insurance only covers you if you get a doctors note saying you are medically unfit to go on a trip. That was the first kicker.

Fine. I am not losing out on this trip. I pay the Airmile's change fee for both tickets, and the Air Canada change fee of $75.00. This trip actaully ended up being one day shorter than the original plan, so they refunded my travel insurance ($106) and then recharged it for the lesser of days.

Times goes by. We go on the trip (In November).

Last week I open my December credit card statement and BAMM a charge from Air Miles of $106.00. That number looked familiar so I did some record searching and discovered that was the amount they refunded me for the insurance (but then recharged me less on the same day).

I call Air Miles. Wait on hold for 30 minutes. Am told this is not their department and that they will transfer me to someone right away. Back in line I go for another 25 minutes. This time I finally get someone who I THINK knows what they are doing. I give her all the details, including dates of transaction etc and she agrees with me that for some reason, I have been re-charged the amount they refunded, but does not know why. Tells me she will open a file, send it to the appropriate department and call back. I inform her that I have moved and have a new phone number and to please update my file. In case I do not here from them, she gives me a "special" number to get through to this department without waiting in line.

A week goes by. I call back this morning. That special number just takes you to the exact same menu as the number on the back of my card (for reservations) where I wait on hold for another 15 minutes.

End of the story to date... They still do not know why I was charged $106 (two months after my trip) and the previous agent never updated my address / phone number as asked.

Rant over. But now throwing a question out there. What does everyone find to be the best travel card/point system in terms of points accumulation and use?
---------- ADS -----------

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Why I hate Airmiles

Post by tdp19 »

Air miles are a joke lately, you end up paying anywhere from $100-500 even with the miles. ie. Flying from YYZ-FLL-YYZ=25,000 miles (which is resonable) but then another $210 on taxes and other BS things. I looked at the price of the flight not on miles, and it was $299. What a joke.... Anyways to answer your question i am using the Aerogold Visa with CIBC, good perks (Air Canada Club lounge access, travel insurance) and 15,000 bonus airmiles when you join. If you fly AC a lot you should get it because you can colllect aeroplan points for flying with them. My company pays for my flights to and from my home soo i collect aeroplan miles.

Hope that issue of yours gets resolved....

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

You have touched a topic close to my heart. I travel alot. I had a BMO (Westjet originally) airmiles and an AMEX with air miles. Air miles has morphed. The long telephone waits, the charges and fees. It is not worth it for short trips. I recently changed my AMEX to an aeroplan, and plan to go to CIBC aeroplan card, as their system seems a bit better, at least right now.
As always, companies are continually finding ways to add weasal charges or ways to increase profitability. Its why the owners allow us, the customers, to carry our bags from the counter to the baggage conveyor. And why airlines have second bag fees, rental car companies have depot charges, and cell phone companies has system access fees.

Here is my plan. I hope some others will follow suit. I plan to send my nice gold airmile card back to them in two pieces explaining that I am a customer and it is obvious from the long call waiting times and the continuall imposition of new fees that they dont really need me to be in business...Wont do me any good, but it might make the world a bit better for others.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

I have never used Air Miles. I only used airline cards. They are much better, and it is easier to redeem points. The best one was CP, in the old days, and when they bought Wardair, they got even better. They had a lot of special flights where you got triple points, and I racked up the limit in 2 years, enough for 2 first class tickets around the world. :smt040

Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I cancelled my CIBC aeroplan card after I lost all my points to their new, you didn't have a transaction this year so we'll take those and give them to the new card holders scheme.

I should see if I could regain them by getting a new card, cancelling it then getting a new one in a year or two. I suspect they have that covered but who knows you might be able to grab 15000 points every second year. I just use the regular "air miles" at what ever stores are on board and the wife buys movie passes and trinkets with them.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Oh, and I took a star alliance back of the bus class ticket around the world the year prior. Those were the points they stole. I'm so butthurt I have not rode AirCanada since and that was 5 years ago.

I'm totally jealous of your first class one expat, that must have been spectacular. What stops did you make? We went YYC - vancouver - Honolulu - Sydney Aus - Aucland NZ - Melbourne - Cairo Egypt - Toulouse - Manchester ground to Heathrow - Washington DC - home.

New Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by New Flyer »

I am not sure which ones are better.
My original thought for avoiding RBC Avion and others was that it would be dividing the points.
For example, 10,000 Avion pts and 10,000 Aeroplan points = not enough for a trip.
Mt beef with Aeroplan is the taxes.
Recently booked an economy flight using 15,000 points. Taxes on said transborder flight were $183.
Had I booked Tango, fare would have been $320, plus $120 in taxes.
So how does a fare of $0 generate more taxes that a fare of $320.
That I would love to know!!!!!
And if the fare is $0, why do we have to pay a fuel surcharge. Does this not go to the airline??
And as such, call it what you will, its not a tax, and therefore my fare is not free!!!
False Advertising if you ask me.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

True. A decade ago they were great. Kind of like Air Canada itself, sure they were a little pricey compared to the bargain guys but I felt it was worth the cost because the service was better. Getting to fly for nearly free was spectacular IMO.

Captain X
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Captain X »

Better yet, ditch the Air miles all together and use a PC financial MasterCard or other non airmiles cards. Use its points for free items/giftcards Its only 1% earned for each dollar used. But I have found it way less Frustrating

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Good call, I have a RBC Avion, I have not tried to cash in points yet.

I traded the CIBC Aeroplan visa for the free cash back style, seems pretty good. If you spend more they have one with a yearly fee that`s a higher percent cash back. At the end of the year they put money on the account.

Pirate Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pirate Pilot »

I have a CIBC aeroplan card. Have had for years. I use it extensively. Never fails if I book ahead. Can't use the website though....must phone the 1-800 number and be put on the music for a while. We (wife and I) fly 1st or business class always. 40,000 points anywhere in North America. Typically Mexico every winter and Las Vegas spring and fall (sometimes L.V. is 25,000 points) don't know why the difference. I tried the website once and it said I needed some stupid number like 254,000 points to fly first class to Mexico City from Vancouver. When I phoned the agent he chuckled and said "you must pay attention, (grasshopper) these things change." When I inquired re: the traditional 40,000 points he confirmed that was what the amount needed was. Note: there is always additional charges payable re: taxes, reservation fees etc. whatever they can make up but they amount to $150. or $200. but thats O.K. for a first class ride from Kamloops, B.C. to Huatulco, Mexico for 40,000 points. Kamloops to Calgary on the "mighty 8" was cattle class only. We got caught in Venice, Italy last April when the Iceland volcano screwed up all flights back to North America. I borrowed a "world phone" cell phone from a friend and called aeroplan and got the most accomadating guy ever....stay on the line, he said, its crazy here. We ended up waiting for 5 extra days and then had 1st class tickets back to Calgary with NO problems when there was what ??? 5,000 people stranded all over Europe trying to get back. There was a lot of amazed faces in the hotel lobby when we went to say goodbye to all our new made friends as we were leaving and they were not. I can't say anything bad about Aeroplan, they may have a few drawbacks but as compared to the others they are the best.
NOW...RBC Avion....yeah, well. I have paid the Royal Bank and their Visa card setup THOUSANDS over the years. They will issue basic tickets only, no business or first class and if you request that they will take (what seems like) all your points. You must book basic and then pay cash for the upgrade to first class. That used to work years ago but now the upgrade seems to be as much as the orginal ticket. They act as they are doing you the biggest favor ever. They are a no-go in my opinion.
BMO and Mastercard left me lonely 25 years ago and sicced the big dogs on me. I settled and paid but it was a major struggle. I remember the pain. I will never deal with those people again. I bite my lip every time a customer of mine presents a mastercard for payment at my business all these years later. I would like to tell them the story but its old news now.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Sounds like I just have to cash my points to hate the RBC Avion. Ah well.

Rem
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rem »

I had the exact situation you did and they tried to deny me as well. I asked for a copy of the insurance agreement and found buried deep in there that moving for work was actually covered. If I were you I'd ask for a copy of the insurance paperwork and go over it with a fine toothed comb. You might find yourself getting compensated for that one.

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

Beefitarian wrote:Oh, and I took a star alliance back of the bus class ticket around the world the year prior. Those were the points they stole. I'm so butthurt I have not rode AirCanada since and that was 5 years ago.

I'm totally jealous of your first class one expat, that must have been spectacular. What stops did you make? We went YYC - vancouver - Honolulu - Sydney Aus - Aucland NZ - Melbourne - Cairo Egypt - Toulouse - Manchester ground to Heathrow - Washington DC - home.
Honolulu - Sydney- Singapour -HongKong - Bangkok - Frankfurt - home. That was expensive enough! :shock:

Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Yeah, we had places to stay in Sydney, Auckland, Melbourne, and the UK. it was still a huge expense. Increadible trip wish I could travel every year for two months. I don't think I would do another round the world though. It was good but it would be better to spend a month in two places instead of a few days in each and only two weeks in a couple.

I think the tickets were 8 stops, I shouldn't have said Vancouver, it was only a plane change. They were a little under $5000 with taxes etc.

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

The agent told me that these tickets were worth 25,000 dollars (1990). We spent at least 15,000 from pockets. 5 star hotels, limos... Trip of a lifetime? :D

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Sorrry, I meant each. It was just under $15k for me, wife, 2 year old daughter that turned 3 in Melbourne, Fetal son rode free. and that was 2006. The first or business class ones were quite a bit more.

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

I realized I saw little then, except fancy hotels and tourist places. I travel differently now, and get to learn a lot more about the places, try to meet locals, etc...

jump154
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jump154 »

I've used Aeroplan for years, the taxes suck, and have to book ahead for availability, but generally they work well. When flyign with the family I always get their tickets free, and pay for mine then I rack up more points. Coordinating seats is a pain, as you have to deal with 2 seperate bookings through different people, but usually get it sorted out. Also used it a lot for business. Wfie got a frist class return from the UK a few years back, loved it. I've never been lucky enough!

Also have Avion - fairly new card but I got it for free. Biggest advantage over aeroplan is you can travel on any flight, and it includes the whole cost up to a $ limit, including taxes. No seat limits, and easy to book 2 seat together. Mostly fly regular class, so the first class thing is not a bother for me.

original plan was to go 100% Avion, but I keep getting Aeroplan points added on so each year I think "just one more". Sucker.....

Return to “The Water Cooler”