CRTC wants to know what you think of the CBC

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: CRTC wants to know what you think of the CBC

Post by Dash-Ate »

Needs more Hinterland Who's Who !! :lol:

Welcome to the Web site for Hinterland Who's Who
This is where you’ll find in-depth descriptions of wildlife, discussions on issues, actions that you can take to help wildlife, and educational materials that teachers and group leaders can use.

http://www.hww.ca
---------- ADS -----------

That'll buff right out :rolleyes:
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Shall we even start on American vs. Canadian cell phone companies?
Or Canadian vs. US Insurance companies?
Lets invite the Yanks to set up shop here. Time for some lessons to be learned by the Canadian screw artists.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Yes! American everything is the answer! While were at it let's model our banking system after their own and let them set up banks here for competitive lending! It's fool proof!

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

:shock:

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

niss wrote:Yes! American everything is the answer! While were at it let's model our banking system after their own and let them set up banks here for competitive lending! It's fool proof!
Don't think I mentioned their banking system there, niss. I'm not for their prison system either, although Canada is building new modern, larger prisons, so maybe we're headed down THAT road. Hope not.

Dushan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dushan »

Sink or swim; but not on my dime (or a billion$).

Cranium
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cranium »

The CBC wouldn't bother me if it just reflected Canadian culture as it claims.

However, it tends to try to shape it - which I find to be a little pretentious.

By portraying Canadians as completely NOT American, it goes to far - we are quite a bit like them (in western Canada anyway).

The Simpsons have it right - Canada is America Lite.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by . ._ »

If we didn't have CBC we would have no choice but to watch corporate propaganda.

It's amazing how content gets more interesting and informative when there is less pressure to satisfy the advertisers.

I love my CBC! It's worth every penny, IMHO. In fact, I think we should spend more on CBC than we do subsidizing multi-national corporations. They have enough money.

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

corporate propaganda
and how is that any different from the CBC's propoganda?

At least I don't have to pay for private corporation propoganda. But I do have to pay for the CBC's propoganda.

Thank Christ I don't have to watch it, or listen to it.

However, I am sure that in the future, it will be legally required that each Good Canadian Citizen log X hours of CBC per week, in order that they are correctly indoctrinated for the Greater Good Of The Collective.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Hedley wrote:
corporate propaganda
and how is that any different from the CBC's propoganda?

At least I don't have to pay for private corporation propoganda. But I do have to pay for the CBC's propoganda.

Thank Christ I don't have to watch it, or listen to it.

However, I am sure that in the future, it will be legally required that each Good Canadian Citizen log X hours of CBC per week, in order that they are correctly indoctrinated for the Greater Good Of The Collective.
You sound like someone who used to hang around here.

robertsailor1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by robertsailor1 »

From what I read the younger crowd is watching less and less TV and spending more time getting news and entertainment from their computer.
I say privatize the CBC and if their form of entertainment is what people want to watch it will be financially viable, if not it will disappear. Let the market decide.

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

I'm sure the CBC's latest propoganda is that everyone should be furious at Rob Ford for going to the cottage with his family :roll:

That's ok, but why does that need taxpayer money? Everyone tells me how good the CBC is. OK, I agree with you. Cut the $1.3 billion per year funding, and it can survive on it's own, because "everyone" thinks it's so great, it will have no problem.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by . ._ »

The thing that makes CBC great is that it DOES get that funding. If it's cut, CBC would have no choice to kowtow to advertisers and their programming will have to change to compete. I certainly don't think we need more talking head news or Canadian Idol/Survivor/Fattest Canadian/Biggest Loser Scumbag humiliation TV. Dragon's Den is bad enough.

CBC radio would have to start blasting Kim Mitchell, Rush and Trooper 24 hours a day like every other crappy station.

We're Canadian! Let's celebrate our culture! If culture is important to us, we should promote it! I think it's worth it!

(And it's cheaper than the oil and gas subsidies we pay for.)

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

If (funding is) cut, CBC would have no choice ... their programming will have to change to compete
Finally, you admit that the CBC isn't delivering what most people want. Thank you for your honesty.

I'm told $1.3 billion a year "isn't very much money". Ok, how about the taxpayer stop paying it, and you pick up the tab, if it "isn't very much money"?

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by . ._ »

It's delivering what I want. That's why I like it.

And I am picking up the tab. It's about 40 bucks a year per person. I happily pay it. :)

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

It's about 40 bucks a year per person
That's a slimy mis-representation.

Canada's population is 33.9B but the number of adults is only 23.3B. I don't see many school kids paying income tax around here.

Recalculation: $1.3B per year divided by 23.3 is $55.80

Assuming that everyone gets to listen to the CBC until they're 80 years old (try not to commit suicide at that thought) that means you have to pay $55.80 for (80-18) = 62 years of your frikken life.

Grab a "present value of an annuity" calculator. $55.80 at 7% per year for 62 years works out to a present value of $785.13 which is a far cry from your misrepresented "40 bucks per year".

What a waste of each and every Canadian adult's $785.13 which they have to pay when they turn 18 years old, for the nonsense that is the CBC.

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

I'm sure enormous outrage will be heard here about this:
Toronto theatre festival SummerWorks has lost its federal funding from Canadian Heritage just weeks before it opens its 21st season.

The festival drew criticism from the Prime Minister’s Office last year when it presented Homegrown, which dramatized playwright Catherine Frid’s year-and-a-half friendship with Shareef Abdelhaleem, one of the so-called Toronto 18 group accused of planning terrorist attacks in Toronto and Ottawa.

Andrew MacDougall, a spokesman for the PMO, told a Toronto newspaper last year that, “We are extremely disappointed that public money is being used to fund plays that glorify terrorism.”

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

istp wrote:The thing that makes CBC great is that it DOES get that funding. If it's cut, CBC would have no choice to kowtow to advertisers and their programming will have to change to compete.
Hedley wrote:
If (funding is) cut, CBC would have no choice ... their programming will have to change to compete
Finally, you admit that the CBC isn't delivering what most people want. Thank you for your honesty.

Maybe your reading/listening and arguing skills are why you did so well at the tribunal?

JakeYYZ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JakeYYZ »

BBM Canada provides Weekly Top Program data to members of the press and the general public.
http://bbm.ca/index.php?option=com_cont ... Itemid=125
Aside from hockey, no one is ‘tuned- in’ to the CBC. The viewer numbers are off the charts (as in they don’t break the top 30). Doesn’t that suggest to you that they are irrelevant? That they are not connecting with their ‘supposed’ audience? And you DO realize they are competing for advertising dollars with private companies. What kind of government competes against its own citizens in any way, shape or form? Do go ahead and try to answer that. Because that’s what Canada’s state-owned, taxpayer-funded media does. It competes against citizens.
CBC Radio is another story....

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Any country with state media and private media, any country with private healthcare along with socialized, any country with private and public schools, any country with a national airline and private airlines, any country with national and private banks, etc

Return to “The Water Cooler”