CRTC wants to know what you think of the CBC

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

JakeYYZ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

CRTC wants to know what you think of the CBC

Post by JakeYYZ »

http://www.cbc-consultation-src.ca/
"Broadcast regulator wants to know what you think of the CBC"
"Is the CBC relevant? Does it meet the needs of Canadians? What kind of programming should the CBC provide, and what should it do differently?”
An overwhelming majority of the comments are negative; and it's a CRTC site not some right-wing blog.
State-owned and state-run media should be banned in this country, and that should be enshrined in our constitution.
---------- ADS -----------

Topspin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: CRTC wants to know what you think of the CBC

Post by Topspin »

You think the sole reason for the CBC sucking is that it is state owned? Do you feel the same way about the BBC? I'm quite a fan of them.

burhead1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by burhead1 »

I would just like the choice to purchase tv from south of the boarder, What is the CBC? LOL

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

There is the odd gem CBC comes up with other than news and sports, mostly comedy related. But the rest?

Basically, take some mediocre artist you've never heard of before, and let's make a one hour show (audio or video as applicable) about their life and their work, with each presenter talking about the artist like they are a household name and comparing them to other completely obscure artists that are completely unknown outside of the Southern Ontario coffee bar microcosm.

Adrienne Clarkson? Who is she? Why does she get to 'present' and ruin my childhood Sunday afternoon with nothing but rain outside and boonievision inside? How did she become GG?

No, I'd rather have Jeremy Clarkson from the BBC. I'd vote him leader of the free world if I could.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

There is the odd gem CBC comes up with other than news and sports, mostly comedy related. But the rest?
I dunno. Its hard to think of the CBC objectively since really its been an icon that many of us grew up with. On the whole I still think it produces stuff of better quality than a lot of stations south of the border. One thing that it does well, though most of us as adults probably don't notice is it produces great quality children's programming. Mr. Dressup and The Friendly Giant are good examples. Since I grew up outside an urban setting CBC was all I got, along with the CTV channel from Edmonton on good nights. Despite the fact that I don't always agree with David Suzuki, The Nature of Things still is an interesting watch compared to similar shows south of the border which have considerably more fluff and less substance, and the Rick Mercer Report is even more informative about what our Government is up to than its counterpart to the south. The fact that the CBC airs an ardent supporter of our troops is almost reason enough to keep it on the air.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Don't confuse the CBC with NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

CBC radio KICKS ASS, MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

It's a life-saver on a long commute or road trip. :prayer: Image

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Nark wrote:Don't confuse the CBC with NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox.
Who is doing that?

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

It appeared as if you did.

PBS has many comparable TV show's whether it is Mr Rogers, , NOVA or This Old House.

Unless of course by down south you were referring to Mexico and Telemundo.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

I think that the CBCs original role of giving canadians Canadian media and content is still as important today as it was a hundred years ago. We need to protect or heritage and our culture. The basic fact that most canadians think our parliamentary system is like the American republic is proof of this.

Keep the CBC.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Nark wrote:It appeared as if you did.

PBS has many comparable TV show's whether it is Mr Rogers, , NOVA or This Old House.
In that case I would still say it produces higher quality than the comparable PBS. Why else would PBS actually broadcast CBC productions? Incidentally as a jab I remember reading a commentary written by an american magazine which lamented that we got better quality of these programs you compared (Mr. Rogers it commented was for slow kids who could not keep up with the "fast pace" of Mr. Dressup... :wink: )

If one reads the commentary linked in the OP though CBC is indeed being compared to the more commercial stations which come from south of the border, or even sometimes the CTV, which is indeed unfair given its purpose.

Like I said though I do have a soft spot for the CBC, If only because I know it serves Canadians who otherwise wouldn't get televised services who unfortunately don't get a loud voice to comment about such things. I do miss the old HNIC with the theme music though. there was something to those winter nights, to come rushing in from skating outside to warm up and watch the game. I used to love to hate Howie Meeker. :)

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I support CBC fully. Particularly CBC radio - their programming is the best quality and most diverse of any... and ad free.

GO CBC!

robertsailor1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by robertsailor1 »

There are parts of CBC that I enjoy as well but when one considers the cost to tax payers to support this group of people, this day and age, its very hard to not want to disband it. Our taxes are too high and government is too big in this country and we should be taking ever step, including the baby ones to get our costs in line. I understand the concept of supporting Canadian talent but there are better ways than running the CBC.

JakeYYZ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JakeYYZ »

The CRTC wants to know what you think of the CBC TV. CBC Radio is not at issue.
Once upon a time long ago the CBC and BBC were something of which to be proud. Today, the bottom of every CBC and BBC news story should have a disclosure statement that says:
“We believe in big government that supports us. Therefore we will distort every news report to tilt in the direction of utopian parties and we attempt to keep free-market conservatives out of power because we know they’ll close us down.”
Do I think that commercial broadcasters never soften or omit stories that may adversely affect a large advertiser? You know they do. But I don’t pay for the other stations. Journalists are utopians, I can’t do much about that, I admit. I don’t buy the Red Star, but I do have to pay for the CBC although I never watch it and that inequity of my paying for the political enemy’s utopian propaganda drives me nuts. The problem I see with the CBC culture is that they believe they are the last bastion that is saving Canada from the evils of American broadcasting / culture.
I believe that the CBC is irrelevant. Its audience numbers are so low that virtually nobody watches it, and if things continue the way it’s going, no amount of money will save it.
If our culture needs "support" (which I don't buy to begin with) just lower taxes on production to zero. Lots of stuff would get done but it wouldn't be controlled by the left.
Get the CBC out of news propaganda and make it more like the History Channel. Peter Mansbridge and all his Tinkerbelle "experts" would make wonderful greeters at Wal-Mart.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I love CBC-TV. The news is the best in the country. The comedy shows are distinctly Canadian and for the most part very funny. Specialty programming is excellent no matter what the topic. What's not to like?

Except maybe it doesn't spout mindless right wing drivel like Sun-TV?

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

CRTC should be asking us what we think of THEM!

burhead1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by burhead1 »

Doc wrote:CRTC should be asking us what we think of THEM!
+1

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

If taxes are the issue maybe we could have saved some dough instead of pissing it away all over Tony Clements riding under the g8 budget?

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

I'm not a huge fan of the CBC. While I agree fully that they make good kids programing, I find their adult programing lack luster. Most things on the CBC (except Don Cherry) carry a left leaning and politically correct undertone.
My personal opinion is that the CBC, (along with many other government policies), hinder real Canadian cultural evolution. I could explain that further, but it is late.

Rank 10

Post by grimey »

Shiny Side Up wrote: In that case I would still say it produces higher quality than the comparable PBS. Why else would PBS actually broadcast CBC productions? Incidentally as a jab I remember reading a commentary written by an american magazine which lamented that we got better quality of these programs you compared (Mr. Rogers it commented was for slow kids who could not keep up with the "fast pace" of Mr. Dressup... :wink: )
And yet CBC broadcasts Wheel of Fortune.

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.

Return to “The Water Cooler”