Taliban at YYZ ???

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Taliban at YYZ ???

Post by bmc »

Clear

I did, and truly love the country. As with anywhere, there are good things and less than good things. But, out of respect for the locals, I do speak French with them all the time. Even when they answer me in broken English. It's their country. It's their language, at least in this part.

I have a good buddy and work colleague who supports the far far right wing party. Since I have no stake in national politics, I can listen dispassionately to his rants about Muslims, blacks, Asians, Africans. The arguments presented are the same as we hear in Canada. I have fun with these arguments because I'm an immigrant. I share a hell of lot with every taxi drive in Toronto. I came from a different country and I want to stay.

What I also share with those immigrants is the comfort found in surrounding yourself with people that understand you and where you came from. Our closest friends are, you got it, Canadians and Americans. We share customs, popular culture and history. I now understand why the Indian community in Surrey hangs out together. It's comfortable.

On that basis, I question the notion of integration. What does it mean? What does one have to do to be considered integrated?

This thread should be moved to the Water Closet.
---------- ADS -----------

bmc
av8tor_assrope
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by av8tor_assrope »

longjon wrote:You actually thought the picture in that vehicle was an Afgan Taliban??

I'd suggest you travel outside of the province of ON or even Canada, see the world, or maybe read a newspaper, jeez I find it hard to believe an adult would actually think that.
You'd be surprised. I've actually met people that think Canada is in Iraq or that Toronto is the Capital of Canada. Anyways it's Canada, put whatever you want on your car......but I'd like to see that Jeep drive through the state of Texas with that sticker.

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

Canadians love to tout their multicultural society, then turn around and insist that immigrants be assimilated. Not saying one is better than the other, but we can't do both. So which one is it?

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

I thought immigrating to this country and forcing your way of life on the indigenous population was the most Canadian thing we could do. Shouldn't we encourage the newcomers to force us onto reserves if we want to maintain our culture and have them do as they wish on the rest of the land?

Perhaps they could take us away from our families to schools where they teach us about Islam or the Sikh religion and beat us for speaking English or French.

The joke will be on them though when another civilization comes and does the same to them, then they'll be pissed about this new group of people refusing to assimilate to Canada.

My history book isn't broken is it?

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
MZUNGO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by MZUNGO »

the difference between Canada and Switzerland is, the Swiss have had thier culture for over a thousand years, whether it was called switzerland back then or not.
the Canadain population (except for the natives) is based on immigration. any country outside the americas and Australia has has a distinct culture and identity for a very long time. Why should the Swiss have the same immigration policies as us? I don't think they ever colonized another country like Britain, so there should be no people from those colonized countries with rights to live there.

IMO they should be asking immigrants to assimilate or gtfo.

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

MZUNGO wrote: IMO they should be asking immigrants to assimilate or gtfo.

What does assimilate mean and how does one do it?

bmc
azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

Nark wrote:I have a very good feeling that once you arrived in the land of Clocks and Chocolate, you were respectful of your new surroundings.

I'm also willing to bet you took the time to learn the customs and courtesies of Switzerland.

My point is, not all those who come here do the same, be it Canada or America.
So you speak Cree?

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

bmc wrote:
MZUNGO wrote: IMO they should be asking immigrants to assimilate or gtfo.

What does assimilate mean and how does one do it?

If we're in Canada why dont we leave the queen and the pope in europe?

MZUNGO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by MZUNGO »

bmc wrote: What does assimilate mean and how does one do it?
wow passive agressive much (just incase you need clarification) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive%E2 ... e_behavior

as·sim·i·late

verb /əˈsiməˌlāt/ 
assimilated, past participle; assimilated, past tense; assimilates, 3rd person singular present; assimilating, present participle
Absorb and integrate (people, ideas, or culture) into a wider society or culture

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

MZUNGO wrote:
bmc wrote: What does assimilate mean and how does one do it?
wow passive agressive much (just incase you need clarification) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive%E2 ... e_behavior

as·sim·i·late

verb /əˈsiməˌlāt/ 
assimilated, past participle; assimilated, past tense; assimilates, 3rd person singular present; assimilating, present participle
Absorb and integrate (people, ideas, or culture) into a wider society or culture
Sorry white man (mzungo). You read me wrong. Not meant to be passive agressive at all. And, I do know how to use a dictionary. What I was hoping to do is engage in the discussion.

I keep hearing the word assimilate tossed around and want to know what one has to do. When you drive down the street and you a gang of east African's hanging out at a mall, do you consider them assimiated? We all easily throw the word around, but I have yet had someone tell me when you can tell which ethnic group has assimilated. Do we just randomly say that visible minorities are not assimilated? How is the call made that certain people have not assimilated? Is there not a role that locals can or should play to help that assimilation?

bmc
Hiflyer2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hiflyer2 »

Well apologies to anyone offended by my err in calling a Sikh a Taliban, although I have shown many individuals the picture and most thought it was Bin Laden!!!! So YES I guess the "thingy" on his head is confusing and the spear does somewhat look like an RPG. Enough said, my bad!!!!

Thanks goes out to "The Peoples Pilot" for enlightening me on who this pictured individual might be. It still leaves me somewhat perplexed that people think it is acceptable to place an extremist Sikhs portrait on his vehicle. This would lead me to believe the gentleman driving this vehicle supports the said extremist Sikh. Did you not say supporters of this extremist were possibly responsible for the Air India bombing? I guess thats where I was going with my picture.... not to poke fun or discriminate against any "new canadians". I work at Pearson where everyone is so concerned about "security". God help you if you have an ATP Licence and a business card but you don't have a RAIC pass on. Huge security threat on a GA ramp!!! In any event I only asked if any of you thought that this individual might be an international security threat???

As for your polite response Mr "Longjon" YES I have been out of Ontario, even outside of Canada in my life. I have lived in a Muslim country and I fly regularly to foreign countries.... I think i have only slept in about 5 different countries this month. How many have you been to this year? I also find that when in a foreign country, either living in, or visiting, it is best to be polite, to smile, learn a bit of the language and not try to force your beliefs or customs on the locals. This even works in Quebec. I have always done very well in foreign countries and have never felt threatened anywhere. I definitely would not drive through Kandahar with a photo of George W on my Jeep nor would I suggest this gentleman on Derry Rd drive through Texas with his picture on the back of his vehicle.

All that being said after reading "The Peoples Pilot" I think the gentleman should probably be paid a visit by an RCMP or CSIS type just to ensure he is not an extremist or extremist supporter that may cause trouble. Let him know he has caused concern to some fellow Canadians.

Over & Out

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

This year I've been to 7 countries. Worked in 4. A busy year.

JakeYYZ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JakeYYZ »

azimuthaviation wrote:
Nark wrote:I have a very good feeling that once you arrived in the land of Clocks and Chocolate, you were respectful of your new surroundings.

I'm also willing to bet you took the time to learn the customs and courtesies of Switzerland.

So you speak Cree?
Where are you on the ladder of entitlement and victimization, Azi?

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

azimuthaviation wrote:

So you speak Cree?
No one speaks Cree where I'm from.
Should I run out and learn Esperanto to appease you too?

I did however carry around a little phrase book that had Arabic phrases in it.
At least I could say I shouted before I shot...

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

JakeYYZ wrote:
azimuthaviation wrote:

So you speak Cree?
He's already off the ladder and sitting on the roof waiting for everyone to come crawling up to him.

MZUNGO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by MZUNGO »

bmc wrote:
Sorry white man (mzungo). You read me wrong. Not meant to be passive agressive at all. And, I do know how to use a dictionary. What I was hoping to do is engage in the discussion.

I keep hearing the word assimilate tossed around and want to know what one has to do. When you drive down the street and you a gang of east African's hanging out at a mall, do you consider them assimiated? We all easily throw the word around, but I have yet had someone tell me when you can tell which ethnic group has assimilated. Do we just randomly say that visible minorities are not assimilated? How is the call made that certain people have not assimilated? Is there not a role that locals can or should play to help that assimilation?
well I was referring to the Swiss when I made the comment about assimilating. a country like Switzerland with a long history and distinct culture should not have the same immigration policies as Canada.

Canada on the other hand should be letting anyone in, whether we like it or not. my father's family immigrated to Canada after WWII,from England. so that makes me a second generation Canadian.

as for telling when somebody has assimilated to our culture. well its usually when they start bitching about how all the immigrants are ruining our country. i am one of only 2 white people where i work, the rest are from hong kong , India, and elsewhere.
they all hate the spoiled rich aholes fresh off the boat from hong kong. why? because they have not assimilated to our culture. the second generation Asians I know are as Canadian as I am.

every ethnic group has their bad apples. we only notice them, instead of the majority who live here peacefully.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

MZUNGO wrote:
bmc wrote:

well I was referring to the Swiss when I made the comment about assimilating. a country like Switzerland with a long history and distinct culture should not have the same immigration policies as Canada.

Canada on the other hand should be letting anyone in, whether we like it or not. my father's family immigrated to Canada after WWII,from England. so that makes me a second generation Canadian.

as for telling when somebody has assimilated to our culture. well its usually when they start bitching about how all the immigrants are ruining our country. i am one of only 2 white people where i work, the rest are from hong kong , India, and elsewhere.
they all hate the spoiled rich aholes fresh off the boat from hong kong. why? because they have not assimilated to our culture. the second generation Asians I know are as Canadian as I am.

every ethnic group has their bad apples. we only notice them, instead of the majority who live here peacefully.
Careful what you wish for. Remember history has a tendency to repeat itself....Should these people have been welcomed with open arms and allowed to remain in canada till the end if they hadnt committed any crimes in canada?
by Ellie Tesher, The Toronto Star, Wednesday, November 12, 1997
As the nation honoured its war dead this week, some who gave their lives for freedom were still left with an ironic injustice. Though Canada played an outstanding role in the Allies' success in World War II, a number of Nazis who committed war crimes against Canadians fighting overseas were allowed later to immigrate here and remain unpunished.

The Canadian Armed Forces held post-war trials in Germany. But further prosecutions were to be handled by the British military. They were soon stopped. And Canada failed to bring to justice any of those accused against the Canadian military even when some were later found living here.

Historian Alti Rodal says this is part of "Canada's complicity in crimes against humanity."

Strong charges, especially since Rodal was chief historian for the 1986 Deschenes Commission of Inquiry on War Criminals. She wrote a 580-page report on how Nazis were virtually welcomed into Canada and how successive governments ignored allegations of war criminals among them.

A federal government consultant, Rodal is currently writing a book based on her findings and new research - Other Priorities, to be published by Malcolm Lester Books.

Though Justice Jules Deschenes called for wide distribution of her report, Ottawa first buried it, then released it heavily censored. Even the bureaucrats must have been ashamed of its evidence of authorities caving in to pressure, of racist political decisions, and of investigators' incompetence. Other historians have since pursued the story. Here's just part of what Rodal and others uncovered:

In 1948, the government agreed to a top-secret deal with Britain to stop all war crimes trials and turn their focus to the Cold War with Russia.

According to John Loftus, former prosecutor for the U.S. Nazi-hunting unit, the idea of bringing Nazis to North America came from double agent Kim Philby, a Communist mole highly placed in British intelligence.

Philby's scheme was to create an anti-Communist network in the West, then to sabotage their efforts by reporting their plans back to Moscow. Canada was the destination for the Nazis, wrote Loftus as 1991 co-author of Unholy Trinity.

Politicians were successfully lobbied to accept Nazis as immigrants by an umbrella group of Canadians of German background, says Rodal.

By 1951, former members of the Nazi party were admitted to Canada. By 1955, members of Hitler's murderous elite SS force were accepted.

Other groups of immigrants were granted waivers by the immigration minister, again following intense pressure from people representing huge voting blocs in Canada, says Rodal.

Latvians, Lithuanians and other East Europeans were accepted under "bulk labour programs" with no attention to their wartime military activities.

Special dispensation was granted to former members of Waffen SS groups who fought alongside the German Wehrmacht - without scrutiny.

A number of alleged French Nazi collaborators got ministerial waivers after a campaign by influential members of the Quebec elite, Rodal says.

Bob Keyserlink, a University of Ottawa history professor who did immigration screening in Bonn, Germany, in the early 195Os, says officers were given the attitude to "forget the past" when interviewing applicants.

"If he told you he was an SS officer and the regulations allowed members of the SS, that's all we asked. It was up to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to do a security screening."

But RCMP staff sent for the task had, Keyserlink says, "a Grade 10 or 11 education" and backgrounds in jobs like highway patrol. "They didn't know a Hungarian from a Bulgarian. They didn't ask the right questions."

Canada's do-nothing policy about Nazis over the next 40 years was influenced by a persistent anti-Jewish bias within the federal bureaucracy, Rodal says. As war criminals were being let into Canada, their Jewish victims who barely survived the Nazi Holocaust, were strenuously kept out - blatant discrimination documented by historians Irving Abella and Harold Troper in their book None Is Too Many.

Rodal also speaks of the "prominent role Pierre Trudeau played as justice minister and as prime minister in making sure no action was taken against war criminals, all the while promoting a "Just Society."

For Canadian veterans who were war crimes victims, getting out the story of why justice was denied them is an appropriate tribute for future Remembrance Days.

The People's Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by The People's Pilot »

All that being said after reading "The Peoples Pilot" I think the gentleman should probably be paid a visit by an RCMP or CSIS type just to ensure he is not an extremist or extremist supporter that may cause trouble. Let him know he has caused concern to some fellow Canadians.
It's a lot more complex than what I depicted...People respected this guy because he represented them and took on an oppresive government. There's extremists of every faith living in every country including Canada. I know extremist right-wing Christians, hell George W. won his second term on the backs of their votes.

If there was a picture of Castro on the back of a car would one call CSIS? Probably not.

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

JakeYYZ wrote:
azimuthaviation wrote:

So you speak Cree?
The same rung you are on the evolutionary ladder. If you believe in that of course.

Return to “The Water Cooler”