Taliban at YYZ ???

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Hiflyer2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Taliban at YYZ ???

Post by Hiflyer2 »

So I am driving on Derry Rd just north of the FEDEX complex off of rwy 23/05 at YYZ. I see this fellow displaying this picture on the back of his jeep! How does this make you feel? It kind of makes me think he is mocking our society, our soldiers, all the men and women that have been killed in Afganistan etc. Would an American or Canadian drive down the streets of a foreign country with a picture of the local war enemy on their car??

I think I will send this in to the Canadian National Security Hotline. Does anyone else feel strongly about something like this? The guy driving looked very similar to the fella carrying a weapon of some sort, on his back window.

I am over reacting?
Derry Rd..jpg
Derry Rd..jpg (481.33 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
---------- ADS -----------

Vickers vanguard
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Taliban at YYZ ???

Post by Vickers vanguard »

I don't think that's a picture of a Taliban, it looks like an Indian Sikh....

The People's Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by The People's Pilot »

He was a sikh extremist from the early eighties who was trying to liberate the state of Punjab from Indian oppression.

The Indian army killed him (and thousands of bystanders in the process) in 1984 and his death is what ultimately led to Indira Ghandi being killed as well as the subsequent Air India bombings.

I don't agree with making matyrs out of extremists, and placing that picture on a car is in my opinion silly, but it's basically the equivalent of having a picture of Che Guevara.

Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

I am over reacting?
only insofar as not every person that wears a turban is in the taliban...

crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

Theres a saying " its easier to take the boy out of the country than to take the country out of the boy. If i ( A canuck) retire in the Philippines , I FULLY intend to be a filipino FIRST and Canadian SECOND,,,,HARD thing to do i imagine. MOST immigrants in Canada are (" " ) First and Canadian second. Thats life ! Not right BUT thats the way it is!

YOWza
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YOWza »

Yes, you are over-reacting. It's a free country...let it be.

pizza__73
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pizza__73 »

Sooo, what does this have to do with flying again? Except to say you've never flown to India?

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

They're free to put that on their vehicle...not a great idea, but they're free to do it nonetheless.

Whats the guy carrying?...is that a harpoon?....maybe he was also an amateur whaler.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

:P

Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

Haha omg a t...t..terrorist! So they do exist not just in the nightly 6pm Fearcast.

:lol: :lol:

And this is why the USA is now sending troops into Uganda...better report yourself as a terrorist if you support his,

Fresh Uganda Oil Find ‘Africa’s Biggest’

By The Times

14 Jan 2009 "The Times" - -Heritage Oil announced details of a large oil discovery in Uganda yesterday, which the company claimed could be the largest onshore discovery in sub-Saharan Africa.

Heritage said that its latest discovery – Giraffe1 – in the Lake Albert region, could total at least 400 million barrels of oil.

However, Paul Atherton, chief financial officer, told The Times that the wider field it was developing, dubbed Buffalo-Giraffe, had several “billions of barrels of oil in place”, although it was unclear how much of this would be recoverable.

He said that the field, which is 9,000 square kilometers in size – or six times the size of Greater London – was unquestionably the largest onshore discovery made in sub-Saharan Africa in at least 20 years, possibly ever.

Mr Atherton said that of the 18 wells the company had drilled in the basin so far, all had produced oil. “Clearly the entire basin is full of oil,” he said. “It’s a world-class discovery, the most exciting new basin in Africa in decades.”

Previously, the largest onshore fields discovered in sub-Saharan Africa were at Rabi-Kounga in Gabon, where 900 million barrels were found in 1985, and at Kome in Chad, where 485 million barrels were found in 1977.

Mr Atherton said that it would take at least another three years to start commercial production. The crude could be exported by road or rail, he said, but analysts believe that the most practical solution would be to build an 806-mile pipeline to take it to Kampala, Uganda’s capital, and then the Kenyan coast. The pipeline would need to be heated and designed to traverse swampy and mountainous land. It would cost an estimated $1.5 billion (£1 billion) to complete.

Heritage and its partner Tullow Oil, which also has a 50 per cent equity stake in the project, would need to demonstrate that the field could produce at least 400 million barrels of oil to justify the cost of building such a pipeline. Richard Griffith, an Evolution Securities analyst, said the latest discovery “thrashed” this commerciality threshold.

See Also - Uganda : Pressure Mounts To Make Public Oil Agreements:Uganda's oil discovery is already attracting major players like Italian oil giant Eni Spa, U.S. Exxon Mobil, France's Total and of recent the China National Offshore Oil Company

That'll buff right out :rolleyes:
nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

crazy_aviator wrote:Theres a saying " its easier to take the boy out of the country than to take the country out of the boy. If i ( A canuck) retire in the Philippines , I FULLY intend to be a filipino FIRST and Canadian SECOND,,,,HARD thing to do i imagine. MOST immigrants in Canada are (" " ) First and Canadian second. Thats life ! Not right BUT thats the way it is!
Try it out and let me know how you do. What your asking its almost impossible, after 22 years of living in my home country and only 4 living here there's no way I'm gonna feel canadian, I just happen to live in Canada and that's it.

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

You actually thought the picture in that vehicle was an Afgan Taliban??

I'd suggest you travel outside of the province of ON or even Canada, see the world, or maybe read a newspaper, jeez I find it hard to believe an adult would actually think that.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

longjon wrote:You actually thought the picture in that vehicle was an Afgan Taliban??

I'd suggest you travel outside of the province of ON or even Canada, see the world, or maybe read a newspaper, jeez I find it hard to believe an adult would actually think that.
I think it looks more like one of the guys at the airport that goes around picking up all the Smart Cart baggage carts than a Taliban in my opinion. 8)

Let’s Go Brandon
bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

longjon wrote:You actually thought the picture in that vehicle was an Afgan Taliban??

Ya but, he was wearing one of those thingies on his head. Don't all terrorists where a thingy?

bmc
bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

crazy_aviator wrote:Theres a saying " its easier to take the boy out of the country than to take the country out of the boy. If i ( A canuck) retire in the Philippines , I FULLY intend to be a filipino FIRST and Canadian SECOND,,,,HARD thing to do i imagine. MOST immigrants in Canada are (" " ) First and Canadian second. Thats life ! Not right BUT thats the way it is!
As noble as that is, when you see a Somali refugee walking in your neighborhood, knowing they have Canadian passports, do you consider them to be Canadian? I sincerely hope that you are opening your door to welcome these people into your home to make them feel like true Canadians that are welcomed there.

I'm a Canadian living in Switzerland. I continually hear from my Swiss friends that the problem with their immigrants is that they don't integrate and make themselves Swiss. When I ask, as an immigrant, what concrete steps I have to take to be considered integrated, they are at a loss of words.

Seeing that you have given this some thought, tell me what MOST immigrants need to do to become "Canadian", whatever that means. I ask this not to engage in an argument, but because I am truly interested to know what has to be done. Should they:

1. Shop at the local stores
2. Send their kids to local schools
3. Dress like you do
4. Drop their language in public
5. Go to your church

What efforts have you, personally, made to help immigrants become more like you, a Canadian?

Your arguments are not unique. I've heard them in all four countries that I've lived in. None of my local friends seem to have thought it through to giving concrete answers to my questions.

Over time, I have concluded that it really boils down to the following: Most immigrants look different, sound different and dress different and don't belong here.

Am I off base?

Btw... both my Swiss and French friends say I fit in well. I suspect it's because I'm white and catholic

bmc
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

bmc

Or is it that you don't against the grain of Swiss society, that you fit in?

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

Nark wrote:bmc

What do you mean?

bmc
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

bmc wrote:
Nark wrote:bmc

What do you mean?

"with the grain, Fitting in"

Judging by the photo you sent me, I would say you are fitting in just fine :)

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

cdnpilot.....you're a twisted wreck, mate. :mrgreen:

bmc
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

I have a very good feeling that once you arrived in the land of Clocks and Chocolate, you were respectful of your new surroundings.

I'm also willing to bet you took the time to learn the customs and courtesies of Switzerland.

My point is, not all those who come here do the same, be it Canada or America.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.

Return to “The Water Cooler”