Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

RyanAir working conditions

Post by NovaBoy »

Hi,

Anyone work over at RyanAir that can tell what the pay and working conditions are like. Also what is the cost of living like compared to the salary?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

I don't fly for Ryan Air Nova Boy but I do fly with lots of people that have. If you come in type rated with time on type then you get paid well. For the left seat your take home pay should be nearly 6000 pounds per month with lots of sectors flown.

The schedules are rolling and you know what you are doing I believe 5 weeks in advance. The bad part(s) is you get treated like dog shit. They might schedule you for an early morning at another base in which case you would lose a day off to position to that base. They may fly you late making you lose another day positioning home. They don't pay for hotels and the likes so its up to you to find suitable accomodation. They don't give credit for the sim. If you want to get hired it costs you to apply and you also have to pay for the sim time. I believe you also have to pay for your own uniform. In other words perks are kept to an extreme minimum. If you are willing to do the job and shut your mouth I'm sure you would be very welcome.

As for cost of living. I'm sure it depends on what base you get but things in the UK are pretty much the exact same cost as Canada except you pay in pounds. In other words, it costs 5 bucks canadian for a meal at McD's it will cost 5 pounds over here.

Cheers

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Ryanair

Post by W5 »

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread ... did=179640

Lots of threads on Ryanair at pprune.

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

Thanks for the info whipline and W5. I'm type-rated, and the pay sounds OK, but the working conditions sound like they suck.

RB-211
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RB-211 »

I see the Ryan guys all the time. In a rush would be an understatement.

The pay is fantastic as mentioned but it can be a difficult place to be sometimes. They are the experts at keeping costs to a min. The simple fact is that they are very short of pilots and at the minute the pilots (Skippers) are in the drivers seat. Things are not as bad as one would think.

Highest paid 737 pilots in the world on average flying some very nice shiny new 800's. If you ever spent anytime working for shitty Canadian bush operations I am sure this would be a piece of cake.

6000 pounds = 13,100 CAD a month (at todays rate after tax)

Your choice.

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

Well, I'm already flying shiny 600,700, and 800's, and life in Canada is pretty good. The pay over there sounds really good, and living in Europe would be nice. I know they are taking US pilots on contract, any word on if they would take Canadian ones?

RB-211
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RB-211 »

I really can't say but I will say this. They have a record of hiring pilots from Europe that were not part of the EU and now US pilots. I am sure a Canadian would be some how fit in.

The big question is this. Which seat are you in? If you are in the left seat my guess is they would jump on you. In the right and you may have a little more work to do but if high time I could be wrong. Rumour is if you have NG time and speak English they would like to talk to you.

Apply and find out.

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

Thanks again guys,

Ya, I might apply and see what happens, I've got almost a 1000hrs on the NG, plus 9000hrs TT, with 4000hrs PIC on a Dash-8, so who knows.

Wind Ryder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wind Ryder »

They have an accelerated program for up grades which gives candidates with time on type the chance to upgrade within 6 months. No bond if you are type rated.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”