Pilot should get tips ?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

dunkafa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pilot should get tips ?

Post by dunkafa »

Well as the golden age of aviation is long gone and the companies pay minimum wage, why not introducing tips ?
Taxi drivers get tips, everyone and anyone get tips... i mean when i go in vacation in the US, mexico... their is tips for everyone so why not the pilots.
The public still think that pilots are overpay and companies keep that illusion alive but its time to inform the public that pilot eat kraft diner and live with roommates to survive.
Am i sarcastic here ? maybe.
What do you think ?
---------- ADS -----------

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Pilot should get tips ?

Post by timel »

People don't care if pilots eat craft dinner, they only care to go from a to b the cheapest way possible. It is up to pilots to regroup and protect the profession.
I never sent my resume to airlines where I would end up eating craft dinner.

The only time I got tips was by doing city tours with a cessna in a touristic place. Good souvenirs.

Last edited by timel on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vern
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vern »

Tips make up around 25% of my income, maybe you guys are in the wrong part of aviation :D

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

dunkafa wrote:Well as the golden age of aviation is long gone and the companies pay minimum wage, why not introducing tips ?
Taxi drivers get tips, everyone and anyone get tips... i mean when i go in vacation in the US, mexico... their is tips for everyone so why not the pilots.
The public still think that pilots are overpay and companies keep that illusion alive but its time to inform the public that pilot eat kraft diner and live with roommates to survive.
Am i sarcastic here ? maybe.
What do you think ?
Strictly prohibited at all the Airlines I've flown for. I've even seen it written in OM-A at a number of places.

I think this is a pretty standard policy at most Airlines.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
dunkafa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dunkafa »

Yeah i know its prohibited in airlines, the question is why ? as the companies can't afford to pay pilots enough they should rely on good old trick other employers use aka tips.
I know in bush flying pilot get really good tips by flying "americans" fishermen to lodge.
I'm not complaining cuz i get a good where i'm now but i was looking into jazz and encore, i have friends there and they are having hard time...
Maybe it should be in the next bargaining with your employer ah ah...

jet a1
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jet a1 »

I get all the tips I need, right here, on avcanada!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The best tip I ever got was for $10,000.00 USD when the US dollar was over $ 1.50 Canadian.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

In the 3 years of commercial flying, I have received two different tips from passengers. First was a $20 bill from a world traveler checking out Northern MB fishing lodges after dropping him off, and the second was a $50 tip from an oil rig worker I flew from Ft Frances to Winnipeg. I filled up my car with the money which lasted me a week :).

reachfortheskies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by reachfortheskies »

As a pilot you know that starting out you will not be making a lot of money. Not saying that the tips would'nt be nice but I would rather seem respectful and hope that my work ethic and personality can help expand my network and land me a better paying job.

reachfortheskies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by reachfortheskies »

As a pilot you know that starting out you will not be making a lot of money. Not saying that the tips would'nt be nice but I would rather seem respectful and hope that my work ethic and personality can help expand my network and land me a better paying job.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

The floaters get tips all the time!

skat0r
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skat0r »

timel wrote:People don't care if pilots eat craft dinner, they only care to go from a to b the cheapest way possible. It is up to pilots to regroup and protect the profession.
I never sent my resume to airlines where I would end up eating craft dinner.
Yeah, because people care about what a taxi driver or a waiter eats right?

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

Because bus drivers don't get tips.

Industries and jobs that typically get tips are ones where personal service is provided such as wait staff, drivers of taxis and limos, and people who handle your bags for you like the shuttle driver or the bell boy at the hotel. Not to belittle what we are doing in the flight deck, but from the standpoint of a passenger pilots are hidden away in the flight deck from the time they board to the time the deplane, and behind a closed door the whole flight. There is no personal service and zero personal connection. Tips were traditionally for going above and beyond, and I don't think most passengers want to know if we had to go above and beyond just to get them to their destination safely.

I hate the concept of tipping, but if anyone is to get tips, it should be the flight attendants for the service they provide in the cabin.

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

Not to belittle what we are doing in the flight deck, but from the standpoint of a passenger pilots are hidden away in the flight deck from the time they board to the time the deplane, and behind a closed door the whole flight.
How about those who deal directly with the customer in the airplane like bush pilots.

Or they not really pilots yet?

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seasonaldriver »

Tipping in the bush pilot world seems to be a hit and miss thing. Ontario bush pilots seem to get a lot more tips than Manitoba pilots for example.

I have heard that putting a sign up inside the plane that says "tipping your pilot will help him remember where he left you" increases tips...

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

It is an interesting suggestion. Since we are often talking about the new business model of airlines and Ultra-Low Cost Airlines, maybe this is the next step. After all, restaurants often don't pay waiters and waitresses even the minimum age, making them rely on tips instead to pay bills. Perhaps airline management on the Ultra Low-Cost or Mega-Low Cost (that will be phase 3) companies will catch on. Don't tip the pilots and cabin crew; get surly service and who knows what as a flight experience?

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

It would make no sense to start giving tips in an airplane. Employers just have to give decent wages.

I think it is nice in bars and restaurants and you can make good money, but in airline operations, it would affect the service and change employees priorities. Flight attendants first role in an aircraft is pax safety.

In bush and touristic activities, always nice to get a tip, but you don't count on it to make a living. It paid for the drinks in my case.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Won't be long before there is an STC approved for a tip jar mounting bracket on Jazz and Encore planes considering the wages.

Gravity always wins
KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

. . wrote: How about those who deal directly with the customer in the airplane like bush pilots.

Or they not really pilots yet?
Sorry ., not falling for that one. This is the Airline Industry forum, so as such I assumed we're talking about airlines.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

KK7 are you saying Harbour Air is not an Airline? How about the other seaplane operators that are scheduled services?

I found the tips better in MB. Depends on the lodge. Some have trained their clients/customers to tip, some haven't. I almost gave up flying to be a guide at one.. the tips alone were huge. Too bad I can't find fish for the life of me... :rolleyes:

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”