Is it true SWG is only hiring Canadian pilots this year?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Is it true SWG is only hiring Canadian pilots this year?

Post by timel »

Or is it a myth?
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by timel on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMACK
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Is it true SW is only hiring Canadian pilots this year?

Post by JMACK »

where is the delete button?

Last edited by JMACK on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Takeoff OK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Is it true SW is only hiring Canadian pilots this year?

Post by Takeoff OK »

Are you kidding? Or is the level of ignorance in our industry still this high?

Foreign pilots working for Scumwing this winter number somewhere between 180 and 200, including wet leases (about 30% of the foreign pilot total). Nothing has changed. Scumwing is still Scumwing.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Is it true SWG is only hiring Canadian pilots this year?

Post by timel »

I was happy to hear they would hire around 170 ish Canadian pilots. Very good for our industry.
Or is it an other trick used by immigration lawyers in order to fool the law?

Takeoff OK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Takeoff OK »

Are we talking about current staffing, or plans for next winter here? Because nothing changed for this winter. If, in fact, there are plans to hire 170 more permanent Canadian pilots over the summer, then that would be the only seemingly positive news I have ever heard on this front. I have yet to hear those numbers; I'll believe it when I see it.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Some believe these are overly ambitious plans, to demonstrate that they can't possibly train enough Canadian pilots, so they can yet again apply to get more TFWs.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

They have an ad for 28 Full time First Officers and 145 Seasonal Pilots.
The first group will be staffed by 28 Canadian pilots, possibly only hired within those seasonal pilots that already worked for Sunwing this winter, and the 145 Seasonal pilots will mostly (If not all) be filled once again by TFW pilots)

gonnabeapilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gonnabeapilot »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote:They have an ad for 28 Full time First Officers and 145 Seasonal Pilots.
The first group will be staffed by 28 Canadian pilots, possibly only hired within those seasonal pilots that already worked for Sunwing this winter, and the 145 Seasonal pilots will mostly (If not all) be filled once again by TFW pilots)
All of the Canadian seasonal pilots from this winter will be offered permanent positions. The next group to be hired will be 28 Canadian pilots for new permanent positions. Interviews started last week with ground school scheduled for the end of April. Not too sure about the job ad for seasonal pilots for next winter... latest I have heard is that we're planning on hiring 45 Canadian pilots and bringing in 100 Europeans so my guess is that's where that number of 145 comes from. And before everyone starts screaming bloody murder, I will point out that with 100 European TFWs coming over this will be the third year in a row where the total number of European TFWS will have decreased year over year while at the same time Sunwing has added about 15 aircraft worth of flying to the winter schedule.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

gonnabeapilot wrote:
Gilles Hudicourt wrote:They have an ad for 28 Full time First Officers and 145 Seasonal Pilots.
All of the Canadian seasonal pilots from this winter will be offered permanent positions. The next group to be hired will be 28 Canadian pilots for new permanent positions. Interviews started last week with ground school scheduled for the end of April. Not too sure about the job ad for seasonal pilots for next winter... latest I have heard is that we're planning on hiring 45 Canadian pilots and bringing in 100 Europeans so my guess is that's where that number of 145 comes from. And before everyone starts screaming bloody murder, I will point out that with 100 European TFWs coming over this will be the third year in a row where the total number of European TFWS will have decreased year over year while at the same time Sunwing has added about 15 aircraft worth of flying to the winter schedule.

So SWG advertised for 145 seasonal positions with full knowledge they would hire only 45 Canadians on 145? http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 7&t=101729

It is misleading. Again SWG is going around actual labor regulations.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

gonnabeapilot wrote:
Permanent SW list in 2013 was 210 plus 38 seasonal. Fleet was 32 including wet leases. What will the permanent SW list look like by late 2015? I am guessing 300-310......does that seem accurate? Add another 45 seasonal pilots for winter 2015-2016. My understanding is projected SW winter fleet of 43-45 aircraft.

2013-2014 TFW 118
2014-2015 TFW 110
2015-2015 TFW ? (Looking like 100)

Eventually the TFW option will cease. But likely not for the coming winter season.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

rudder wrote: 2013-2014 TFW 118 plus 4 wet-leases
2014-2015 TFW 110 plus 5 wet-leases
2015-2015 TFW ? (Looking like 100) plus 6 wet-leases

Eventually the TFW option will cease. But likely not for the coming winter season.
After Air Transat goes under ?

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

rudder wrote: Eventually the TFW option will cease. But likely not for the coming winter season.
http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_ ... ndex.shtml
Hiring Foreign Workers for Higher-skilled Occupations
Foreign workers can help employers meet their labour needs when Canadians and permanent residents are not available.
Are there no Canadian pilot available for the coming winter season? What is the justification for hiring ANY TFW pilots next year ?

newcanjeter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by newcanjeter »

Hello? Hello? Is this thing working? I guess it's time to finally say goodbye to my Motorola Razr.
But seriously. What's a guy gotta do for one stinking phone call? How about an email saying "no thanks"? Or even "thx ttfn" or "no" if they don't have the time. Maybe I'm in an insane assylum and this is all just some crazy medically induced bizarro Dream. And if that's the case I'm probably having pudding and using my fingers to eat it with....awesome!!

toelessjoe
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by toelessjoe »

I applied. Over 8000 hrs, two crew, multi engine turbine pic, etc etc. and nada peep. Am I automatically disqualified due to lack of jet time? If so wouldn't it be nice to be at least told as much by someone (i.e. A pfo letter)? Oh, and I'm apparently qualified to give a reference for someone with far less experience and qualifications than myself, yet not qualified for even a letter telling me to hit the bricks? (For the record I'm very happy for the candidate in question who subsequently got the job. My issue is with the hiring process.)

I call bullsh!t on the whole thing. Maybe Gilles can tell me what I'm doing wrong because now I'm clueless as well as toeless. :evil: Rant over.

- Toeless.

ea306
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ea306 »

Yes it is true.... Lots of hiring.
Wishing you success.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Last edited by timel on Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Reciprocity does not really exist, Europe is over saturated. Why would they let Canadian licensed pilots fly an helicopter, a Beech or a Boeing in Europe?

But.. No problem

Meanwhile in Canada...
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.31 KiB) Viewed 4048 times

monkey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by monkey »

The airlines swg work with in Europe both have highly seasonal business that happen to be opposite to the Canadian busy season. Hopefully once we can get better recognition for our licenses swg will be able to send more over.

ea306
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ea306 »

monkey wrote:The airlines swg work with in Europe both have highly seasonal business that happen to be opposite to the Canadian busy season. Hopefully once we can get better recognition for our licenses swg will be able to send more over.

Which in turn will mean more Canadian Pilots hired.... Meanwhile the company is growing to meet its North American markets for the off peak summer season. Thus the doubling of its core fleet over three years from 11 aircraft last summer to 22 aircraft by 2017. This too will help the continued hiring trend for more Canadian jobs.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

If all this is true, I just cant wait for Air Transat to start hiring dozens of foreign pilots every year so we too can cash in on this innovative and brillant method of hiring more Canadian pilots....

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”